Garrett vs. Eurotek for beginner detector

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After looking at some detector models, I think I've narrowed down my options to Garrett and Eurotek. I really don't want to spend an insane amount of money on my first detector and these brands both have models that are reasonably priced. I'm looking at either the Garrett ACE 250 or one of the Eurotek Pro models.

I'd just like to ask folks here if maybe one might be better than the other. The Garrett 250 seems to be a popular model with a lot of good ratings. I intend to be digging around on dry land mostly and probably along the shore of the local river (but not in the water). I don't know if this would require a waterproof model or not. While I can't say I'm expecting to find anything in particular, I'd probably be looking for coins and jewelry and just overall small metal pieces. Again, don't know if one of these brands would be better suited for this purpose.

Also, do detectors come with all necessary equipment, or do I need to accessorize and purchase things like coils and batteries separately? I understand I can get new goodies for the detector (like a new coil), but do I initially have to buy all the required pieces one by one? Do detectors generally tell the user what item has been found, or do they simply beep in your ear and let you guess what it is? One more question: Would I need to purchase special headphones for a detector, or would plain old noise-cancelling headphones work okay?

Thanks very much for taking a moment to read. :)

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the Garrett fans have had a full day to post, guess it's my turn.

Nobody who has used both ever goes back to the Ace 250.

I'm not knocking the Ace 250. When it was introduced a decade ago, many folks regarded it as the best machine in its price range. It became popular for good reason. But, a lot has happened since then: first the Fisher F2, then the Teknetics Delta, and now the Eurotek and Eurotek Pro.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a long time Garrett fan but I consider the Eurotek Pro a more advanced machine than the ACE 250. Probably because of the new technology plus it is very easy to swing. And while thousands of customers are very happy with the ACE (I was for a good while), I believe most people will outgrow the ACE sooner. JMHO

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a 350 and it will do what they say it will do. Didn't care for the bell tones though. I've only watched videos on the Eurotek. I like the audio and the iron feature on the Eurotek. Seems to be great machine for the money.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woofl is right on things have changed since the 250 came out. We have better choices now.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
choices

After looking at some detector models, I think I've narrowed down my options to Garrett and Eurotek. I really don't want to spend an insane amount of money on my first detector and these brands both have models that are reasonably priced. I'm looking at either the Garrett ACE 250 or one of the Eurotek Pro models.

I'd just like to ask folks here if maybe one might be better than the other. The Garrett 250 seems to be a popular model with a lot of good ratings. I intend to be digging around on dry land mostly and probably along the shore of the local river (but not in the water). I don't know if this would require a waterproof model or not. While I can't say I'm expecting to find anything in particular, I'd probably be looking for coins and jewelry and just overall small metal pieces. Again, don't know if one of these brands would be better suited for this purpose.

Also, do detectors come with all necessary equipment, or do I need to accessorize and purchase things like coils and batteries separately? I understand I can get new goodies for the detector (like a new coil), but do I initially have to buy all the required pieces one by one? Do detectors generally tell the user what item has been found, or do they simply beep in your ear and let you guess what it is? One more question: Would I need to purchase special headphones for a detector, or would plain old noise-cancelling headphones work okay?

Thanks very much for taking a moment to read. :)

I started out with a 250 and while I did find a lot with it I would suggest you look for a machine with a few important features the ace doesn't have. The first being a VDI display. With a VDI display you can hunt wide open and use your brain to discriminate. This is a far better hunting method than using any type of discrimination on a machine. Next would be multi tone capability. The ace does have this, but it's such an unstable machine it's not very helpful. Multi tones can tell you a lot about a target as well. Again, you're using your ears to discriminate, not the machine settings. Very helpful! Last but not least ground balance. Not all soil is equal! Having a ground balance feature will maximize your usable depth in any soil type. Most cheap machines have a decent preset ground balance(like the ace) but from experience it's something I could never live without again. It just helps the machine run very stable and cuts down on a lot of noise as well.

Now after telling you about all the above, I believe the eurotek has those three key features(and more) covered. Double check to be sure. There may be other machines that do as well but I'd specifically look for those three. Obviously more expensive machines have more depth, more preset discrimination(eww) etc etc but with the three features above even a cheap machine will give you good results. The ace is a great machine if you're in clean, non mineralized, fairly dry soil, but the truth is that's pretty rare.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I would definitely go with the Eurotek - As many have said, the Ace line at one time was a great value, but now there are several. If you check out Russ Babirona on YouTube, he has some great Eurotek videos that are very informative. His company RB Detectors also sells them.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Emailed the Australian Teknetic Importer to see if he had an Eurotek Pro in stock and if I could purchase one........ for my grandson. He (Aust. Importer) called back on the phone and gave me a barrage of his trademarked bad attitude profane language, it was however revealed duing this outburst that he did not carry any stock of said detector and in order to get one he would want payment up front by access to my credit card account......... :-)... for some reason we did not make a deal and he did not make a sale. Not to worry........ grandson is keen on detecting so he will be hooked up with a CZ3D, which is obtainable from FT product dealers with better attitude.
P3293129a-1.jpg
ivanll

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eurotek Pro without a doubt

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the Eurotek pro or F2. I love my F2! Goes deep for a beginning model. If you want my opinons, don't mess with the ace 250, go big and get the AT pro or F70. GL + HH

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your area needs ground balancing then stay away from the eruotek. This is one feature it needs to really be a first class detector.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for the terribly late response. I kind of fell out of visiting for a bit. But thanks so much for all your advice, everyone! I was looking quite a bit at the Garrett 250. The reviews on the Eurotek Pro make it sound like it's mostly just for detecting iron, but I assume it's still good for finding other metals? As far as I can tell, the Eurotek does have a VDI display, ground balance and multi tones.

Also, I did see the Garrett AT Pro and it's too expensive for my budget. If this were to become a hardcore pastime, I would upgrade my detector; but for now, I just want something that doesn't cost a fortune that has a decent likelihood of functioning properly. :)

Thank you all very much for taking some time to read and respond. Considering all the praises sung about the Eurotek Pro, I think I know which one I'll be going for.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etp is good at telling you the target IS iron so you don't have to dig it. There still will be so iron targets, especially larger pieces with iron halos that will sound like good targets, but for the most part this machine is good at letting you know the target is not worth digging. The Ace series does have decent depth and will find targets, it was just the annoying bell tones I did not like. I had an Ace 350 and AT Pro and found the Ace 350 would hit anything the AT would in the depth department.

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Etp is good at telling you the target IS iron so you don't have to dig it. There still will be so iron targets, especially larger pieces with iron halos that will sound like good targets, but for the most part this machine is good at letting you know the target is not worth digging. The Ace series does have decent depth and will find targets, it was just the annoying bell tones I did not like. I had an Ace 350 and AT Pro and found the Ace 350 would hit anything the AT would in the depth department.

And the aces are pretty terrible in trash...

Also, I believe the ETP has a fixed ground balance, not an adjustable ground balance.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the aces are pretty terrible in trash... Also, I believe the ETP has a fixed ground balance, not an adjustable ground balance.

Yes it is fixed GB I forgot to put in my last post. Thanks.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it is fixed GB I forgot to put in my last post. Thanks.

No problem. I really do think you'll be happy with the ETP. I did a TON of research before buying my F2, and people who have owned both the F2 and the ETP tend to lean towards the ETP. Either way, you're sure to make some great finds!
Happy Hunting,
C4C

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a feeling I'll just dig everything I find, no matter what. I just get excited over finding stuff in general, and if it happens to not be garbage, then that's a plus. :)

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Eurotek Pro has officially been shipped as of yesterday and should get here by Monday. Yay! :)

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love your new ETP when you get it, just like any other MD, it will take a while to learn all that it can do, but it's a smart machine, I've had mine for 5 months & and am still learning new things about it, HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions