Complete noob to the hobby. Looking for metal detector purchase advice

d3scride

May 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a metal detector that both myself and my Dad can use. My knowledge about what to buy is pretty much zero so I was hoping one of you guys with more experience in the hobby can point me in the right direction.

We would mostly be hunting in the following areas: beaches (sand and shallow salt water), parks, schoolyards, mostly just coin and jewelry hunting.
Budget: ~$500
Something relatively user friendly, but I'm not against purchasing something with a bit of a learning curve if it means better yields.

Would also appreciate any input on what accessories need to be purchased and what brands you would recommend.

Any other information that you think might be useful let me know.

Cheers.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello D3,

I use Garrett products. Everyone has different tastes in machines. You figure that out quickly.

Saltwater is tough for the lower end machines. Parks, Schools and dry sand... no problem.

With a $500 budget, I would tell you to look at an Ace 350 ($300). You will WANT a pinpointer, the Garrett ProPointer ($127) is what I use. If you want to spend a little more, The AT Pro ($600)is a widely used detector, a bit of a learning curve, but not all that bad. You will not "outgrow" the AT Pro, as you might the Ace 350.

You can check the machines out of You Tube. Garrett has a nice set of videos about their machines.

I hand digger ($5.00 to $60.00) is needed for dirt, a beach scoop for the sand ($60.00 to $150.00). Predator tools sell Lesche hand diggers, really nice little tool, that should last a lifetime, expensive, but worth it.

If you have any questions, just PM me. I hope that this helps. Good luck, you and Pops will have a great time detecting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
D

d3scride

May 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses so far. My only concern about purchasing the AT PRO is if I realize I'm not that into the idea of metal detecting then it will be an expensive piece of equipment just sitting in the garage :D

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses so far. My only concern about purchasing the AT PRO is if I realize I'm not that into the idea of metal detecting then it will be an expensive piece of equipment just sitting in the garage :D

The ATPro has a good resell value if you check the listings on ebay for comparison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread