Right decision?

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So finally pulled the trigger and ordered a new AT Pro after a LOT of research - should be arriving tomorrow. Hunt mostly coins & jewelry - mostly inland, but like to hit the beaches after a storm. My detectorin buddy thinks I made a HUGE mistake - swears his Whites MX5 is better machine for less money. Tried to explain to him that he will NEVER put his MX5 in 10 ft. of water, but he still stands by his machine. Guess we're headed for a little friendly competition hunt to see which is best! Lookin for some of you guys with a whole lot more experience than me to wade in with any personal opinions you may have about these two detectors.
Thanks,
oldsurfer

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure both are great machines.....i have never regreted buying my ATpro and will keep it. They are very capable machines and have the waterproof benefit! You will want a 5x8 coil for it for sure. The 5x8 stays on mine and seperates much better.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to have to agree with your buddy, and I'm not trying to bash the ATP. Other than hunting in water over waist deep, I would bet he's right. I have owned and used both, but currently still have the MX-5. The main things I like about the MX over the AT are the audio quality, number of tone choices, weight and balance, backlight, THRESHOLD, true all metal mode, locking pinpoint, ground tracking and standby mode. Keep us posted on how the comparison goes!

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy Fletch....you really are in love with that mx5...huh? Might have to look at it again myself...lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how it would handle high mineralization since the GB constantly tracks and is not lockable like the MXT. I would bet with the 5x10 elliptical DD it would do very well.

OP
OP
O

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Digger. Already got the new AT Pro on the way, but will order the smaller coil in a couple of weeks
oldsurfer

OP
OP
O

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Fletch. AT Pro is already on the way...bought & paid for...but will consider adding the MX-5 down the road...never hurts to have one more detector!
oldsurfer

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest: