New to metal detecting

Slong1958

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm new to the site and treasure hunting. I borrowed a white mxt pro to look for my moms long lost ring but didn't have any luck finding it but I think I may be hooked on treasure hunting. I'm looking for some advise on what brand and model detector to get. My cousin said he paid around 800.00 for the white but I'm not wanting to spent that much. I need something that's easy to use and that is also good. I've been looking at the bounty Hunter quick silver and the garrett 250. The bounty hunter is on sale now for 99.00 reg 200.00. All info will be appreciated.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I would get a whites treasure pro. If I was doing it all over again. The Garrett ace 250 would be my last choice

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try an MX-5 if you like whites. I actually liked it better overall than the MXT-Pro

OP
OP
S

Slong1958

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys thanks for the info. and I'd like to say around 300.00

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 11" DD Coil is $299 and a very good unit

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may be able to find a Teknetics Omega 8000 now the 8500 is out for a great price used on the forums classifieds. Used detectors can be a great way to get started and a lot for the money to be had. Just thought.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First i would decide just what your main interest would be and what part of the country are you in, beaches, mid-west, desert regions? It makes a difference in what type detector I would get. The MXT Pro is a good all around machine (I use one myself along with an MX5).
The Treasure master (under $300) is a good enter level machine, unless you want to work the wet salt water beaches. If you do, think about the treasure master Pro. (under $400).
There are other brands than just whites that are just as good or even better, but it all comes down to cost, and easy of use and my big thing, coils. The proper coil on the machine for the type of your hunting will make all the difference in the world.

OP
OP
S

Slong1958

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Tennessee on family land and don't plan on traveling to look for stuff. We do go to the beach occasionally and would most likely take a detector to the beach. The old home place which dates back 150 to 200 yrs is where it all started is still standing on the land. I found a lot of stuff around the house all iron with the white detector before giving it back. This was about 2 hrs of looking.

f046d820de3e01c7360dccf77248031e_zpslhxg5tyo.jpg

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run far away from this Hobby - It will make you a sick man :laughing7: - The Ace 250 is a great starter machine, cheap and easy to use. Takes a while to understand any machine and what it is telling you <--- Always remember that!!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under $300 is my specialty. You can't beat the Land Ranger Pro for features/performance and it can be had for about $30 more than a Ace 250, plus you get auto/manual ground balance, 4 tones and numeric ID plus presets, sound customizing and notch width adjustment. All metal mode air tests beyond 10 inches. Comes with an 11" DD coil. Nothing can compare for bang for the buck.

land-ranger-pro-faceplate.jpg

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a ACE350 as my first unit in detecting. It is a decent unit that will find coins and of course ferrous items like any detector. I have no experience with a BH system. I do know the ACE350 has no ground balance or auto tracking and really is a base detector with no real big frills. What it will give you is reliability and good tones with a easy to read readout on the screen.

I am not sure what features you may want but I would want a detector with the ability to ground balance both manual and auto now that I have been in this hobby for about 2 years now. The ACE will not give you that seeing it is fixed. But it is a great beginner to intermediate detector and a great backup system or one to have on hand for a buddy to join.

Like I stated, no hands on with a BH system but I am sure someone will chime in. Now the Garrett AT Pro will give you more abilities but comes at a higher price if you like the Garrett lineup. Plus it has a pretty good following and results from that unit.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh I noticed your links are all Ebay.......I would be careful and make sure if you shop Ebay that the seller is an authorized seller for warranty issues that may present themselves.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I had a ACE350 as my first unit in detecting. It is a decent unit that will find coins and of course ferrous items like any detector. I have no experience with a BH system. I do know the ACE350 has no ground balance or auto tracking and really is a base detector with no real big frills. What it will give you is reliability and good tones with a easy to read readout on the screen.

I am not sure what features you may want but I would want a detector with the ability to ground balance both manual and auto now that I have been in this hobby for about 2 years now. The ACE will not give you that seeing it is fixed. But it is a great beginner to intermediate detector and a great backup system or one to have on hand for a buddy to join.

Like I stated, no hands on with a BH system but I am sure someone will chime in. Now the Garrett AT Pro will give you more abilities but comes at a higher price if you like the Garrett lineup. Plus it has a pretty good following and results from that unit.

I agree the ace machine will find stuff ,no question. For me the tones sucks, that ding ding bell tone is irritating. Imo the ace machine is a beginner machine not an intermediate one. To me hats where the pro falls ,in the intermediate catagory.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just put any detector into your Google search and you should see many prices. I've seen the LRP as low as $228.

I had the Ace 250 not the 350. It was a good starter for it's day (9 years ago) but I think a lot of newer tech machines have improved beyond the Aces. The Fisher F2 for one. I have had Tesoro's, a few Garretts, a Coinmaster GT, a Fisher F5 and F2, and a XTerra 70. What I am using now (LRP and QDP) is better suited for me, has better depth, better ID (easy to read), and more options that any of them (except maybe the F5). Some people don't like the plug in coils, but my F5 was plugin and it served me well for over 6 years.

The LRP is the highest end of the BH line. The Ace is the lowest end of the Garrett line. Moving up form the Ace you have the AT Pro. Moving up from the BH Pros you have the Fishers F5, F11, F22, F44 and the Teknetics Greek series. All the same detecting processors.

I like having a number ID on the conductivity of a metal object over 12 dash segments of the Aces. The LRP does have 9 segments depicting certain coins for beginning. But after you learn, you'll see that a 60 is a dime, and a 56 is a screwcap (best chance of being one anyways) on a 1-99 numeric ID. The other feature the LRP has over the Ace is ground balancing. Pump the coil while you push the GG button and it ground balances in a second or two. Now, the minerals in your ground don't affect the detection allowing better depth and better ID.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slong1958

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at kellyco metal detectors , he asked me a lot of questions , then suggested the fisher 44 or the teknetics eurotek pro. The fisher 44 is a bit more than I want be spend but I may have to just bit the bullet.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I talked to a very knowledgeable guy at kellyco metal detectors , he asked me a lot of questions , then suggested the fisher 44 or the teknetics eurotek pro. The fisher 44 is a bit more than I want be spend but I may have to just bit the bullet.

The F44 certainly packs some great features. Now with TID it can get a bit side tracking but in no way a bad feature. Just not something to totally get use to or rely on. Have you considered detectors that are just tonal and if budget is a big concern you could look to a Tesoro like the simplistic but yet well received Compadre. A big savings in money; lifetime warranty; and you rely on what detecting is about.....tones.

Just a thought of course. Good luck!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uh..........Every Tesoro I owned (3) had one tone. I rely more on numeric ID. I can't break a tone into 99 different parts.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Uh..........Every Tesoro I owned (3) had one tone. I rely more on numeric ID. I can't break a tone into 99 different parts.

The golden umax is a discontinued 4 tone tesoro. machine. You don't see them up for sale that often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread