All around. Water, Salt, sand and land

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me with a new detector purchase i might be looking to make.
I may be asking about a unknown item here.:D

I live in arkansas but make at least one trip to the ocean each year.
I normally dont hunt water only maybe at the edge but would love to start hunting more around and even getting into and under water and doing some creek hunting and slow shallow rivers.

Do they make a detector that works really well on land as in water too?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Can anyone help me with a new detector purchase i might be looking to make.
I may be asking about a unknown item here.:D

I live in arkansas but make at least one trip to the ocean each year.
I normally dont hunt water only maybe at the edge but would love to start hunting more around and even getting into and under water and doing some creek hunting and slow shallow rivers.

Do they make a detector that works really well on land as in water too?

You have to consider each location which are all totally different...land, fresh water and saltwater.
Most regular VLF single frequency detectors do well in dirt, any dry sand, freshwater wet sand and in the freshwater...most not so great in saltwater environments.
You can still use them there, have fun and even find a few things in the salty wet stuff but usually not really deep.
There are multiple frequency units like the Minelab Sovereign that many use in saltwater and work well, in the dirt too, but you have to learn the language of sound because of a lack of a screen.
The top end CTX is waterproof, has a screen and many use them in the dirt and in both kinds of water.
I have read posts from owners that have said they work well in saltwater and some that said they didn't work so good but there are all kinds of hunters out there with many skill levels and for sure I don't know the truth because I never used one anywhere.
In the lower priced range especially in freshwater the AT Pro is very popular because it is also waterproof and also pretty capable on land according to many owners.
A waterproof detector at this price point was a game changer and still one of the more popular units being sold right now but others are beginning to show up from different manufacturers both weatherproof and waterproof.
If you are planning on spending a decent amount of time in water, even just ankle deep streams, using units without at least some sort of protection can be risky...drop one in the water that isn't just for an instant and chances are you will now own a very expensive suddenly out of warranty doorstop.
As far as salt vs wet more seem to think in freshwater the Pro is great, in saltwater many varied opinions but most lean towards not so much.
Check out Aquachigger vids on YouTube for freshwater hunting experiences with the Pro.

Most successful veteran hunters that spend lots of time in both dirt and saltwater environments usually have more than one detector to hunt optimally in each type of site.
The dedicated saltwater hunters usually go for the specialized units that most don't usually take onto land sites except occasionally.

For an occasional trip to a saltwater beach I would think adding in the ability to hunt there optimally into your choice equation would be illogical, like buying a 500HP car to go on normal errands and everyday driving but spending the money to have all that power in case once a year you might, might get into a short street race and want a chance to win.

To sum up some multi frequency Minelabs might work for you everywhere but you need to learn them well, the CTX could too and it has a screen but you better have deep pockets.
Hunting on land and in freshwater a good bit the AT Pros are one of if not the most popular choices right now but other brands are gunning for them by coming out with their own duel environment units recently like the Whites MX Sport.

Pretty much you are pretty right on in your suspicions, the beast that is the absolute very best at doing everything in all kinds of sites and conditions and that absolutely every treasure hunter would love to have and could easily adapt to, (not mention afford), is mythical at this point, but a combination of a couple different ones usually satisfies and even just one might do the job as long as you know and understand its limitations.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you didn't set a price go with the 3030

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought the a few years ago. Man that thing is heavy... It was pretty good but at the time i was working close to 80-100 hours a week and never had time to use it. Ended up selling it to a guy here if i remember right. In all reality thats a little more than i would like to spend. Id like to say somewhere around 1500 maybe.

My wife is wanting to start detecting as well. She used my deus about 2 hours last night here in dry beach and found some change and a million bottle caps and tabs lol.
I would love to get into more water areas both salt and dry. Like i said i am in arkasas so my normal hunting would be freshwater areas.
I stopped in at a whites dealer here in florida and she recommended maybe a dual purchase like you said. She said like maybe the MXT all pro and the MX sport.
This would allow me to go full water proof as well as have a machine for dry land. My wife and i could both use them at the same time on dry land if needed.
Now would just be what to do with the deus. Keep and try to learn some more or sell it. Such a hard dicision for such an easy task lol..

I am not set on the whites brand either. Probably if i had the money again i would go with the 3030 bc i did like it when i used it but i think 2500 is a litle steep right now..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not buy a couple of machines? You can get a Tesoro Sand Shark for Saltwater hunting ($600.00), and a Tesoro Vaquero for dry sand and land hunting ($450.00). Fill your golf bag with the right clubs and you'll score well! :skullflag:

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady i talked to has been doing recoveries for over a couple decades and her go to machines are the mx sport and the mxt all pro. These are the only ones she uses and you should see her collection lol.. This is the reason i looked into maybe these 2 machines as a combo and selling the deus.

Again no dead set on anything but would like to make a decision before end of week bc i would be purchasing them down here to test around salt areas before i leave in-case i have any issues..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the MX Sport was released a couple of months ago, she hasn't been using it for "decades." The MXT Pro replaced the 300, which replaced the original MXT - released in 2002. The MXT Pro is NOT a saltwater machine, nor is the MX Sport. Fair warning.

Please do your research before you get burned. :skullflag:

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the MX Sport was released a couple of months ago, she hasn't been using it for "decades." The MXT Pro replaced the 300, which replaced the original MXT - released in 2002. The MXT Pro is NOT a saltwater machine, nor is the MX Sport. Fair warning.

Please do your research before you get burned. :skullflag:

I may have mis understood what was said about how lon she had been using them but I am alsmost sure she said those are the 2 she does her recoveries with in and in the beach water? I sent a message to ask just to make sure.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just go with an ATP I you live in Arkansas and only plan on traveling to the beach occasionally. If you are dead set on spending 1500-2500 and like programs, and tweaking all kinds of settings the Ctx is the way to go. For freshwater I like the ATP better personally.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the at pro and only had a few issues with it and that was b/c i was changing one of the settings incorrectly. The possibility for me to visit fresh water could or couldnt happen in the future in all reality. I may never step back on the beach again who knows.

I am looking at the ctx more for it being one of the top of the line detectors and in no comparison to the at pro. I am not downing the at pro by any means simply b/c in its price range it is great. Good features and works very well.

I do live in arkanas but what really justifies to buy or not to buy a detector for you? Money, use, quality, learning curve?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread