Most Accurate Gold/Silver Reader

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold, which has the Iron through to precious Metals "Reader", obviously aluminium etc; falls into the precious metal side also along with other metals, what I was wondering was, is there a detector out there that is fine tuned to Gold and Silver and will accurately determine the difference with every Hit or is this simply not feasible in a detector? I've searched but not found the right post on this.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Short answer...no.
Longer answer...nope.

VDI numbers and tones help, conductivity numbers like on the Minelab screens add some more info especially on some silver coins but the truth has been said often..."You never really know what you are swinging over till you dig it".

Gold especially is a master of disguise, I studied this metal and behavior closely for a long time, I also tried to learn how to pick better sites with a decent chance of finding it, got pretty good at this stuff and I have dug 3 dozen targets in my career because I put in that extra effort.
Still, except for once I have been surprised every other time when gold popped up.
Then you have site and soil conditions, masking trash and iron and all kinds of things that come into play on most targets we dig and the signals we get.
If there was such a tool that was 100% accurate on precious metals it would be the holy grail of detectors and everyone would know about it, in our hobby akin to the cure for cancer or cold fusion.

Sorry, technology has come far in the past few decades but we are nowhere near that level.
If you really want to find the good stuff the best way to do it is still get a decent machine, learn it well, dig a lot and hoping for some good luck wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truffles_EOD

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Digger, I didn't think there was an "ideal" detector for Gold/Silver, in the Balkans 99.9% of my searches so far (though I've so far only searched for a total of about 30 hours here due to work commitments) that have "appeared" on the precious Metal side, have been Beer Bottle Tops! I'm aiming to get out more very soon with it... Many Thanks once again ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread