Help - Newbie Brand Question

SpeedeeAu

Dec 31, 2014
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok - I have never done any detecting in my life but I want to experiment with it. I have been reading on here for years and living through other peoples stories.

Anyway - my parents bought an old farm a few years back and built a new home and barn but there is an old home site and old barn site I would love to explore.

Here is my question - I have a $300 Best Buy gift card so I wouldn't be spending any out of pocket money but the only brand of detector they carry is Barska. Since I have never heard these mentioned here on the this site I am guessing they are garbage but thought I would at least ask.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What part of TN do you live. I started with an El Cheapo and in 60 days I out grew it and upgraded to a mid level detector. Check your local craigslist.

If you live near Olive Branch someone has a complete F2 set-up with pin pointer, headphones, and 2 coils for $165. You may get him to trade straight up for your gift card. The F2 is a great machine for a beginner.

If you are near kingsport I see a Teknetics Delta going for $100. Each of these will blow the Barska detectors away.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yes, as you suspected not great and made for people that think any metal detector is as good as another.
This is a company that is into optics, binoculars and such, they entered the metal detecting arena but their products are not thought out, mostly like an afterthought and just something to sell with their name on it.

Spend your money on something else at that store...you can do better.

Many detectors out there in all price ranges, you don't have to go high end to find stuff and enjoy this hobby.
Buy the wrong one, a frustrating one and you can be chased out of the hobby very quickly.

Many start out with a Tracker IV from Hobby Lobby.
With their website coupon about $70 and many learn to love it despite it's limitations and still use it some way after they upgrade.

The Tesoro Compadre is a great value at $160.
A real detector with major abilities and two choices of coil sizes but you would want the larger 8" model for your site.
Many start with this and continue to keep it in the arsenal forever even if they decide to upgrade.
I have one, I will never let it go.

If you can get up to about $200-$250 you have a two coil Fisher F2 still available, another favorite of mine that is very capable, a newer model Fisher F22, a Garret Ace 300, a Teknetics Euro Tek Pro, and a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro with many features that might be found way under $300 if you catch them on sale.
And there are others.

Your first is important...you want one that works decently but won't break the bank if you are on a budget.
You get what you pay for is true in this hobby like most others, don't make a quick decision without a little research like you are doing now with this Bariska question.

This is a hobby that can pay for itself in not just money found but in fun.
Research those models I mentioned and others a few more will probably suggest and save up enough to enter the hobby in the best way possible.
We will help you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The silver is great, my Vaq is great, my Compadre, well, I have written thousands of words about how great that one is.
But the silver is "Much better than the F2....
Sure...
Depends on your point of view I guess, and how you use it and I always consider whether I am talking to a brand spanking shiney newbie with absolutely no experience whatsoever or someone with some swing time under their belt.
In that case I believe a screen unit can easier to get over the initial learning curve and be very helpful...at first.
I have also recommended everyone also get some time in with an audio only rig sometime in their career.

I my experience, using both Tesoros and that F2 for over 1000 wildly successful hours my opinion is different.
A screen unit first, a Tesoro eventually.
If money is an issue and $200 or more is too much in that case the Compadre does make sense, learning curve or not.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have a video up over in the head the head section of the audio of the cortes in comparision with tha ace 150,nokta fors core, xp deus in just a few minutes. You guys that swing the tesoro must dig everthing. You are in the market for a new detector so I would think the audio would be a major concern.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Any of the top brands are good. The minelab go find series is right in that price range. All the detectors others have mentioned as well. Stick with a good brand and you won't go wrong.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SpeedeeAu

Dec 31, 2014
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I ordered the Fisher F2 today for my first MD. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Gold with your new detector!:icon_thumleft:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
OK I ordered the Fisher F2 today for my first MD. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Can't tell you how much fun, thrills and excitement I had with mine.
Coins, silver, gold and everything else is what it is good at finding.
Learn it well and it will take care of you.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you find. Karl Von Mueller who sold me my first detector, to purchase a middle price detector and let it earn enough money to purchase a more expenses detector. Good luck and good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread