New Metal Detector - it's time for an upgrade

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Upgrade after a year? You have a good machine. It took me a couple years to really understand all the machines I’ve had. Don’t think the more money you throw at a machine will automatically increase your finds.
I completely agree, but if you need a water detector and the present one you have isn't water capable and you want to water hunt, then it makes sense to get another machine with that capability. That is my next purchase is a water capable machine. I love minelab so i hope the equinox lives up to the hype. And I am sure even though i have a fisher f70 and an etrac, it will be used on the land as well.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys!
I'm new to this forum and almost new to treasure hunting and in search of detector for now. and the model I'm thinking of currentely is Garrett ACE 250.
Is there better alternatives for that price.
Get a good used At Pro for around $300

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thedukeofdelaware & anyone else
Good Sir, it is Just the start of winter and it will be a few months yet before even Minelab is really up to production speed with a brand new machine so I recommend a different approach for you.

Put together a good bunch of questions you have about your current machine and test it. Why? Right now you have the time to really learn about what your existing machine can do under all circumstances. In the real world be it any park, any homestead, any lawn, etc. - there are so many possibilities of targets and interaction of targets with the ground, & roots, & gopher tunnels, & ground worms, & STUFF in the ground that mess with all of us and our machines. Then add in your earphones both wired & wireless that will change how we hear our machines reactions to its batteries, dirty battery terminals, loose coil cables, water between the coil cover and the coil housing (like when was the last time you took your coil cover off and checked what was inside it?) For that matter, I've NEVER had my coil covers off and here I'm preaching to you. So yes there is a lot all of us could learn during the dreaded winter down time.

I bring this subject up as I own an old Whites 6000D Coinmaster as well as an XLT but both are older machines. For the 6000D I also own a set of instructions on how to Super Tune that machine. I applied these instructions to my first 6000D with doubts of the validity of the information I'd PURCHASED for that model. When I'd completed the tweaks this old 6000D became the best machine I'd ever had! Using the tweaks: running in a nearly filterless mode I would obtain a target, I would change my filter setting and a toggle switch, swing the coil, then change a different switch and a different setting and swing the coil. After that second swing I knew what metal was under my coil. I tested & tested & tested & tested and every time I went into the ground I found the type of metal my machine had indicated. Then it was stolen, along with the car it was in and I was lost - my best friend was gone. So I purchased the XLT but its never been the same. Then my life began to change and I had less time to work with the machines and of course I took on Gold Prospecting and that just about killed my coin hunting.

So my goal is to suggest that we learn our machines and wring out of them every ounce of goodness we can and then use them, use them, use them, etc. This way we will really know this old friend of ours before the next New Gadget hits the market. This will make us Informed buyers and or informed looky lookers at the new equipment. Then if we decide to lay out some good cash we will know why we are doing it. Being informed is our job, or at least it is our hard earned money we are giving for the latest machine. Knowing if our old machine really needs changing out is what this inspection or testing is all about.

Happy hunting , learning & getting better at our Sport!..................63bkpkr

PS - feel free to ask me about some basic thoughts on starting the evaluation of your current machine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread