Newer Button (pretty sure)!

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
I was visiting my sister in Connecticut this weekend, and I JUST happened to have my detector in the truck ;) So I spent maybe an hour or so poking around and found this button. I am fairly certain that it is a modern button, but I wanted to post it anyway and get a little feedback. The front of the button actually has a silver tone to it (does not show up very well with the digital camera, darn scanner is acting up) and the back says Waterbury Button Co. I am almost positive that the front is the Connecticut State Seal.

Anyway, I like the button and wanted to share it. Maybe I can learn a little more about it!

Button02front.jpg

Button02back.jpg

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Here I go, replying to my own post again :)

Seeing as this is actually the "Arms and Seal of the State" for Connecticut, and was introduced in 1931, I would say it is definitely a modern button.

Although, the state flag has the same Seal and it was designed in 1897.... maybe the picture I am looking at just has the current seal on it, who knows.

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
I was wondering if anyone can help me find a rough date for this button. I am really enjoying buttons, but have been asked the date of this one and I have only been able to say "Sometime in the 1900's!"

So, if one of you button guru's could help be date it, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
You might try writing to the author of Dating Buttons, A Chronology of Button Types, Makers, Retailers & Their Backmarks, at the following address which appears in the book:

Warren K. Tice
8 Orchard Terrace
Essex Junction, VT 05452-3501

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
PBK said:
You might try writing to the author of Dating Buttons, A Chronology of Button Types, Makers, Retailers & Their Backmarks, at the following address which appears in the book:

Warren K. Tice
8 Orchard Terrace
Essex Junction, VT 05452-3501

Thank you so much. I probably should buy some button books (because the are so neat), but I only have a few at the moment. Was just figuring that it may be a common one :)

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
I did find this for backmarks, so I am assuming that it is at least pre-1965! :)

THE WATURBURY COMPANY
AARON BENEDICT 1812-1823
A. BENEDICT & CO. 1823-1829
BENEDICT & COE 1829-1834
BENEDICT & BURNHAM 1834-1843
BENEDICT & BURNHAM MFG CO. 1843-1849
WATERBURY BUTTON CO. 1849-1965
WATERBURY COS 1965-PRESENT

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but where in CT were you from? I grew up there- in New Canaan. Boy have things changed since I lived there! Can you say "McMansion'? Woo!
BTW, nice button. I've found some goodies here in MD. Balt. police force, some flat old unidentifiables and some general service. Wish I could search the woods around my old house in CT!
Ab

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Abbey said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but where in CT were you from? I grew up there- in New Canaan. Boy have things changed since I lived there! Can you say "McMansion'? Woo!
BTW, nice button. I've found some goodies here in MD. Balt. police force, some flat old unidentifiables and some general service. Wish I could search the woods around my old house in CT!
Ab

I lived in CT most of my life. Grew up in Meriden, I have lived in Windsor and Middletown as well. But, I live in South Carolina now. I cannot wait to get to my other sisters house back in CT, there are actually two houses on her property, a beautiful 1910ish house (kinda snooty rich area) and an older 1870ish house still on the back part of the property. I was actually in CT this past weekend, but could not get out at all!! I will hunt that house!!! ;)

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Right on! Meriden- and that area up there- it's God's country-, at least that's what we called it- really beautiful (yes a bit rich-n-snooty!) but beautiful nonetheless! Some wonderful history up there- I can't wait to hear about your finds when you DO get to search that property! HH ;)

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Abbey said:
it's God's country

It's funny you say that, I was actually in CT for my sister's Final Vows (so she is REALLY a Sister now).

And the property that I am talking about is actually where the "Sisters" live ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread