Old button?

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone tell me how old this might be? I found it in it on the river bottom in ne Oklahoma. There is history of early explorers, fur traders and of course Indians.Thanks for looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468636534.183085.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468636554.713429.jpg

G

gman17

I think you found evidence. Dates to the late 1700's to early 1800's . If it has a backmark you could pinpoint the exact date.

OP
OP
T

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG really!? Thanks Gman. I found this with a metal detector, but it was on the surface of the rocky bottum of the river last year. It was about 10 feet away from 3 lead round balls. Idk if related or not. I've looked at a thousand buttons on the interweb and haven't found one like it. My dilemma is, I love the patina on it. So in order to check for a back mark I would have to clean it. Right? This is the closest description I could find, but no actual image. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468768174.236520.jpg
So what do you think it is? Spanish, French, American, or other?
Thanks again.

G

gman17

My guess English, our country was young back then most of our goods came from England. Not too many American manufacturers. If it's no backmark I would say closer to late 1700's. The older ones will have no backmark or sometimes it will just say PLATED. There is a good chance of a colonial house site close by. Keep hitting that area hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread