Unknown Military button

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother found this recently in a nasty cattle yard. The backside is entirely encrusted. Do not have a measurement of the diameter. Anyone recognize this one? IMAG0484.jpg Thanks for viewing this.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Federal Navy Button. 1850/1860's? Found a few with Fluke in front of the wing (fluke is the wedge on the end of the anchor). Makers marks help narrow it down a few year sometimes. Most of that type were intended for officers where I found one intended for cadets. They look the same but makers markings separate the uses sometimes and years.
You can try Naval Jelly on back it'll get it clean then soak in Olive oil to seal and keep from corroding.
Here's one I found like yours for cadets.
20161120_152531.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rick67
Thank you for your ID information.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick67 Had a Good reply IMO . 'All good info'
"Backmark" is the Key to Dating .

I only have Alberts Book & it looks mostly like NA 118, (Wish I could send a picture of this one , Google it Maybe?)
It has the Fat Round Thighs , like your button, also it notes NOTE, IMO Likely Not Confederate...."118 Navy 2- piece with border. A. The device, upper fluke of anchor in front of left rm; 23 mm
(Construction similar to confederate locals)."

Is the Back made of Tin ? Or Brass?
I'd Try the Aluminum Jelly on the Back if you think there is a Mark There.

A nice Button that I would love to Dig / Add to the Collection.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread