Dandy button

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The term "dandy buttons" seems to be widely used among British collectors, and I believe it was introduced here on TNet by Crusader. Presumably, the name derives from the fact that they were worn on the coats of elegantly attired 18th century gentlemen, or "dandies."

I can find no established usage of it in U.S. buttons literature. Instead, authors typically describe them simply as "[gilt] copper buttons, 1770-1800" (Hughes & Lester) or "large, flat copper buttons, ca. 1770-1795" (Tice).

However, I believe that the term may have appeared in one or two fairly recent U.S. magazine articles— perhaps written by TNet members.

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks seem these button turn up at some Civil war sites I have found a few.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
So is there a difference in a coin (flat) button and a dandy button.I have found several flat buttons in civil war camps range in size from 3/8 in to 1 1/4 in.

fortbball9

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
The term "dandy buttons" seems to be widely used among British collectors, and I believe it was introduced here on TNet by Crusader. Presumably, the name derives from the fact that they were worn on the coats of elegantly attired 18th century gentlemen, or "dandies."

I can find no established usage of it in U.S. buttons literature. Instead, authors typically describe them simply as "[gilt] copper buttons, 1770-1800" (Hughes & Lester) or "large, flat copper buttons, ca. 1770-1795" (Tice).

However, I believe that the term may have appeared in one or two fairly recent U.S. magazine articles— perhaps written by TNet members.

I concur with PBK's comments.

It is all Crusader's fault, LOL, next we will be all going to the "Loo" . :tongue3:

My feelings are since it is only a British use term,(we certainly did not have "Dandies" here in the colonies and early America) that I will not use the term, just like I don't go to the "Loo" :wink:
Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In general the age of a large flat button is, if approx 30mm in diameter and larger, dates to the 1770-1795 period, but were used heavily at least until 1815. Buttons that are called "Transitional" buttons are 18-30mm in diameter are in general 1795-1805 era. Then the smaller gilt buttons took over as the most popular used buttons.

One must remember that buttons, like coins were most likely used for a long period of time after their "minting" or manufacture date It would not be unusual to find buttons of an old age at a much newer site, just like some coins were in circulation for 50 or more years in the early years of our country.

Don

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning with a toothpick is the only way i would ever clean buttons and coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread