Time capsules and cat mummies

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
hmmmm...interesting.,.....hope I dont find one..................
But then there’s The Carlyle House Museum and Park. When the building was undergoing renovations in the 1970s, workmen found a cat buried in the foundation of one of the chimneys. The mummified feline was removed, photographed and returned to its previous resting place because, “in those days, the English and people from Western Europe buried cats in the walls and floorboards of buildings to protect those structures from evil spirits and witches,” said Carlyle House Curator Jim Bartlinsky

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attorney Randy Sengels memory? Does that mean his memory went up in smoke? ::)

We buried a time capsule in our senior year. It was dug up At our 20 year reunion. Wonder how many are left at the ole High School?

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
Would You?

In the fifth grade our teacher had us make personal time capsules from one quart mason jars and then we dipped the lids in wax to rustproof the lids. During lunch we buried the jars off of school property with no plans to ever dig them up again. Would you go back and dig up your old time capsule along with your classmates capsules? How many years would you wait? If not, would you pass the information along to a child or grand child?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back when they were redoing part of Rt.28 in Pittsburgh, they tore down an old German Luthern Church to reroute parts of the highway.

I attempted detecting it during the demo process but gave up because of too much highway noise and aholes blowing their horns as they drove past.

A few weeks later, in the news, they found a time capsule in the foundation. It had some old german coins and some documents...probably from the early 1800's.

My loss...shoulda been a little more persistant. But...how would anyone know something like that was stashed so many years ago?

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions