OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Thanks Relicdude! I am not sure as what to get out of that though, I saw the mention of the trading post in Palatka. I am definately going to keep at it until I find it or find it does not exist. Do you or anyone here know if the author of the treasure atlas series is alive. Tom Terry or something like that, his volume 3 which covered florida started this, that is where the mentioning of the buried kegs of coins came from. I would like to know if the author was known for exaggerations or if the information he wrote about came from a true source. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Without knowing what Arbuthnot and /or what Arbister said will not help us, they could have said Tampa area, next to a tree not a stream etc. I just would like to narrow the search area by as much as I can.

Jamie

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Definately not Palatka, that is more or less SW Jacksonville, other coast.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
the Treasure atlas by Thomas P Terry volume 3

who knows of this guy? is he a reliable source?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
very interesting, I would like to see more of this documentation. Most of what is known is from Tampa to Suwannee and their executions at ST. Marks.
Good info Relicdude.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Do you think anything is at Palatka or was it more of a stopping point before going to the west coast of FL?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I still believe My 2 guys were just passing through this area on to bigger and better trading post along the Gulf.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Definitely not Palatka. Wrong river. Arbuthnot and Armbrister had their trading post on the Suwannee river. Rollieville is now called East Palatka.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
There are many spots on the Suwanee just east of Old Town going up towards White Springs that is so shallow and narrow that the only boats that go through there today are canoes and kayaks. Alot of the old barges and sternwheellers are in the muck near Old Town. Just east of the Rt. 19 bridge at the Suwanee river you could see the remnants of one of these boats. Also memory tellls me that I have seen many divers in tantem going with the current collecting artifacts of the bottom in this area. Food for thought.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
This was going to be just a TAG post, but just want to reply to this,

Chip V wrote
I think if they really had two kegs of gold coins, they could have bought their freedom.

We are talking about Andrew "By-God" Jackson here amigo, don't you have doubts that he could be bribed, regardless of how much? I sure cannot see Andy Jackson agreeing to let condemned men go free for some money.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Yep, good ole Andy Jackson. The same Andy that won the battle of New Orleans only because Jean Lafitte gave him the necessary help then he sold the pirates out (it;s known that when Lafitte took off, he had to leave a great deal behind. Jackson had everything captured impounded and the trail goes cold from there. What happened to it?). The same Andy that handed out death sentences like they were water. The same Andy that used dogs to hunt down the Seminoles then fed them to those dog's if they were refused to tell him where their villages were (it's worthy to note here that there is not one instance where one of the captives gave up their people). Last but not least, it was the same Andy Jackson that was looked into for many shady land deals that made him very wealthy. It was his political clout that kept him from prison or worse and of course the fact that he knew where a lot of skeletons were buried in Washington.

Jackson was just one of many that have been given hero status when they were little more then thugs with their own personal agendas. Our history is full of them. It gets a bit disgusting really when you start digging into it.

I think I'd better stop now as I really don't want to get off the topic but yes, I think Jackson could have been bought and was on many occasions.

Deepsix

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Jackson was a politician before his time, if he were around nowadays he would be amazed and probably feel left out. These thugs today are even more coniving. AS far as Oldtown goes and artifact divers, could you get into any more detail on those areas?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Strange, when I gave my negative opinion of Andy Jackson, Sabre, you kinda question why. Now you respond in a positive way.

Was it or is it because of my strong Conservative viewpoint that you question the reason for my post? Not upset or in disagreement with you, just curious. :icon_scratch:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
know this andrew jackson carried a scar on his face and hand inflicted by a british officer during the american war of independance -- as a 13 year old young man working with the american troops jackson was caught a british officer told jackson to shine his boots --when jackson refused the officer stuck him with his sword scarring him badly on the face and arm for life -- for this jackson hated the british with a real and very deep hatred also anyone who were their allies as well he hated with a very real hatred that mere money could not buy your way out of. -- what jackson later on did to his loyal indian troops however--was one of the foulest deeds ever done by an america president ---the supreme court actually had issued a order to allow the cherokee to stay put -- but jackson ignored the law and did as he pleased.

jackson would rather hang 2 british agent trouble makers than have a boat load of gold.--count on it.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Graycloud, I reponded the way I did not caring about politics either way, I am a conservative as well. You came out of nowhere with your post, if you look, it was your first post on this subject and you offered no information on my 2 subjects or the area in question. I actually was answering to the previous 2 post in one answer, commenting on Jackson and asking the other guy more about Oldtown and the divers in the river.
You did make me aware however to how evil Jackson was and more and more that I re-read some of my history books I now look at the Jackson era with a more clear view. This story I am investigating has taught me more about the real Andrew Jackson than we were ever taught in school. Any additional information you may have on Jackson in Florida in the early 1800's would always be appreciated though!

Kind Regards,

Sabre15

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Sabre, When going north on Rt19 you go into Fanning Springs and cross the river. If you look to your right, up the river about 3 or 4 hundred yards on the left hand side of the river, being the north side there is an old wooden boat fairly close to the bank. When the river is low you can see the spars or beams. That was 5 yrs. ago. If you go into Old Town and go north on Rt 349 for 2 or 3 miles there was or is a campgound that is right next to a propane company. I knew both of these families personally. The campground, if still there, sits on the river. Divers would camp there and put in their boats and float down the river. 1 guy would operate the boat and the diver would follow it with a lifeline. Also about 15 years ago while staying at the campground there were several guys that contracted to look for treasure at this campground. I saw this for myself. Not sure what equipment they used, probably 2 box system. I know they dug at least 2 large holes down close to the river with a backhoe. I just thought of this as I was writing this message. I am sure this is the treasure that you are looking for. If you go to Stephen Foster state park at White Springs the water is way to shallow to put any size boat past there. I have been up that way by boat but can,t recall the depth. I have talked to several people and they have relayed the same info as far as the paddlewheelersband the barges. The guy that owns the propane co. is Frank Anderson. his family has lived their for years. PM for more info.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Arbuthnot JR. was sent off to Pensacola and never heard from again as far as history writes. If someone could trace his routes back to England possibly we may find out what he retired to. I would like to think this treasure is still out there unless someone else found it and never came forward. The treasure that gametalman writes about is interesting, possibly a pirate cache so close to the river. I would like to know more.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
The trading post was on the Suwannee, Mcanopy is far too inland unless there was another back then. That paragraph does not give any clue to where it is unless we know exactly where Bowlegs town was.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
You are clearly mistaken or are trying to lead this discussion group in the wrong direction. Every bit of history shows that Arbuthnot and Ambrister worked out of the Suwannee area after leaving Tampa, they may have spent time in the past in the Palatka area but this cache and other merchandise are near the Suwanee/California Swamp area. Look at the geography of Mcanopy and tell me why a trader whom owns his own shooner would work that far inland. He maybe have traded with Indians from the Mcanopy area, but his store was on the Suwannee close to his schooner. Suwannee area is common knowledge of being Bowlegs camp area.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Interesting, especially living here in Ocala, Mcanopy is just north of me. But the same goes for the 2 traders, they did have their trading post on the Suwannee. So Boleck and Bowlegs are different, when reading some of the history books they used different spelling. For example, Tampa was Tamper, Suwannee was San Juan earlier.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
It should be the Bowlegs town of 1818, something does not make sense hear, they supposedly moved stuff across from their trading post to the other side of the river because Jacksons troops were coming. I t was to be the west side of the river(California Swamp). This map shows Jacksons army coming from the west side, so is this map correct or is California Swamp misinterpreterd and trading post was on west bank of river and treasure/goods were moved to the SE side of the river into other swamp areas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread