OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Theres always what? Supposedly they pleaded right before being executed and offered these kegs up, that is how the information or supposed info is known. Who knows if they had these for real, or said where they actually were buried or what the reason was that they could not buy their way out of their predicament.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your search. I hope you find the treasure and come gloat on TN when you do.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
This was going to be just a TAG post, but just want to reply to this,

Chip V wrote
I think if they really had two kegs of gold coins, they could have bought their freedom.

We are talking about Andrew "By-God" Jackson here amigo, don't you have doubts that he could be bribed, regardless of how much? I sure cannot see Andy Jackson agreeing to let condemned men go free for some money.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I found a bit of info that confirms the incident,

"
friendly Creeks pursued Florida destroying towns killing and capturing many Indians and run a way negroes He also took possession of the Spanish fortresses of St Marks Pensacola and the Barancas during a period of peace between Spain and the United States Two Indian traders Arbuthnot Scotchman and Ambrister an Englishman were taken prisoners being found among the Indians and Spaniards tried by a court martial and executed by order of general Jackson Two Indian chiefs who were captured were also put to death by iv s order and sundry other cruel and high handed acts committed to which the attention of congress was called at the session of 181S 19 "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=_W...&pg=PA420&ci=121,820,820,165&source=bookclip">
The Life and Speeches of the Hon. Henry Clay By Henry Clay, Daniel Mallory>

Good luck and good hunting amigos, will see what else I can find on this.
Oroblanco

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Andrew Jackson did not walk on water and had many flaws, as we all do. He did good and he did very evil. He was crooked and egotistical to the max... What he did to my Cherokee Ancestors will never be forgotten.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

I think you will find this short book VERY interesting
http://books.google.com/books?id=eE...ng_en&num=20&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPA33,M1
<Memoirs of General Andrew Jackson Together with the Letter of Mr. Secretary Adams, in Vindication of the Execution of Arbuthnot & Ambrister, and the Other Public Acts of Gen. Jackson, in Florida By John Quincy Adams>

I started trying to copy the relevant material but it is some 40 pages, so it is easier to just give you the linkee.

Good luck and good hunting amigos I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I found some more interesting info on this - the actual records of the Court Martial of Alexander Arbuthnot and Richard Armbrister. Included in the trial records are some letters of both Arbuthnot and Armbrister, which you may find helpful.

"2 When he heard of Jackson's advance he had written to his son who was his agent at Boleck's village to carry the goods across the river Through the letter the Indians got warning in time to cross the river and effect their escape His letter was not open to censure Can traders be executed if their information not transmitted through the lines frustrate military purposes Sumner 59 8 This testimony probably perjured 3 Schouler 71"
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...&pg=PA863&ci=147,1046,680,153&source=bookclip>American State Trials A Collection of the Important and Interesting Criminal Trials which Have Taken Place in the United States from the Beginning of Our Government to the Present Day By John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard>

"Charge II Acting as a spy and aiding abetting and comforting the enemy supplying them with the means of war Specification 1st In writing a letter from the fort of St Mark dated second of April 1818 to his son John at Suwany marked A detailing the advance of the army under General Jackson stating their force probable movements and intentions to be communicated to Bowlegs the Chief of the Suwany towns for his government Specification 2nd In writing the letters marked B without date and C with enclosures twenty seventh January 1818 and D called A Note of Indian Talks and E without date applying to the British Government through Governor Cameron for munitions of war and assistance for our enemies making false representations and also applying to Mr Bagot British ambassador for his interference with a statement on the back of one of the letters of munitions of war for the enemy Exciting Indians and "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...S&pg=PA866&ci=202,221,684,327&source=bookclip>American State Trials A Collection of the Important and Interesting Criminal Trials which Have Taken Place in the United States from the Beginning of Our Government to the Present Day By John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard>

"From A Arbuthnot to his Son John Arbuthnot dated Fort St Mark second April 1818 9 o clock in the morning Dear Son As I am ill able to write a long letter it is necessary to be brief Before my arrival here the commandant had received an express from the Governor of Pensacola informing him of a large embarkation of troops etc under the immediate command of General Jackson and the boat that brought the dispatch reckoned eighteen sail of vessels off Appalacgicola By a deserter that was brought here by the Indians the commandant "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...&pg=PA867&ci=133,1129,704,214&source=bookclip>American State Trials A Collection of the Important and Interesting Criminal Trials which Have Taken Place in the United States from the Beginning of Our Government to the Present Day By John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard>

"..was informed that three thousand men under the orders of General Jackson one thousand foot and one thousand six hundred horse under General Gaines five hundred under another General were at Prospect Bluff where they are rebuilding the hurnt fort that one thousand Indians of different nations were at Spanish Bluff building another fort under the direction of American officers that so soon as these forts were built they intended to march They have commenced Yesterday morning advice was received that they had appeared near and taken two of the sons of M Queen and an Indian Late in the afternoon three schooners came to anchor at the mouth of the river and this morning the American flag is seen flying on the largest I am blockaded here no Indian will come with me and I am now suffering from the fatigue of coming here alone The main drift of the Americans is to destroy the black population of Suwany Tell my friend Bowlegs that it is throwing away his people to attempt to resist such a powerful force as will be down on Sahwahnee and as the troops advance by land so will the vessels by sea Endeavor to get all the goods over the river in a place of security as also the skins of all sorts the corn must be left to its fate So soon as the Sahwahnee is destroyed I expect the Americans will be satisfied and retire this is only my opinion but I think it is conformable to the demand made by General Gaines to King Hachy some months since in fact do all you can to save all you can save the books particularly It is probable the commandant will receive some communication from the vessels today when he will know more what are their motives in coming off the fort I think it is only to shut up the passage to the Indians Twenty canoes went down yesterday and were forced to return The road between this and Miekasucky is said to be stopped Hillisajo and Himathlo Mico were here last night to hear what vessels they will remove all their cattle and effects across St Mark's river this morning and perhaps wait near thereto for the event I have brief I of "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...S&pg=PA868&ci=214,228,682,712&source=bookclip>American State Trials A Collection of the Important and Interesting Criminal Trials which Have Taken Place in the United States from the Beginning of Our Government to the Present Day By John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard>

"I have been as brief as I can to give you the substance of what appear facts that cannot be doubted to enter into details in the present moment is useless If the schooner is returned get all the goods on board of her and let her start off for Mounater Creek the bottom of Cedar key Bay You will there only have the skins hide away But no delay must take place as the vessels will no follow the land army and perhaps even now some have gone I pray your strictest attention for the more that is saved be eventually more to your interest Let the bearer have as calico as will make him two shirts for his trouble he has to deliver this in three but I give him four days I am yours affectionately A Arbuthnot B "
<http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...S&pg=PA868&ci=218,943,692,306&source=bookclip>American State Trials A Collection of the Important and Interesting Criminal Trials which Have Taken Place in the United States from the Beginning of Our Government to the Present Day By John Davison Lawson, Robert Lorenzo Howard>

We know from the trial records that the goods of Arbuthnot did not get put on his schooner, but were hauled across the river from the Seminole village where his store was located and hidden there - the village on Suwany river (Swannee?) being on the EAST side of the river, and "about 100 miles" from St. Marks. Besides the money (gold in kegs) they also hid nine or ten kegs of gunpowder, and ten bars of lead - may be guns, knives etc also. I am convinced this "story" is TRUE and you have a fair chance of finding it - we know that Arbuthnot and Armbrister certainly never were able to recover the money or weaponry. The two trials are very interesting reading, and are online (free) at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6O...not&lr=lang_en&num=20&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES<Court martial trial records of Alexander Arbuthnot and Richard Armbrister, British "traders" hanged and shot by Gen. Andrew Jackson>

Good luck and good hunting amigos I hope you find the treasures that you seek - got to hit the hay so signing off,
Oroblanco

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great research Oro. Now if I could just find out where the Seminole Indian village was it would greatly narrow down the search. I think it was near Old Town, FL.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Hey Scuba, I've had all this info for a long time, just ask if your interested. I have been there many times and am going back soon. Old town is not where it used to be, Suwanee/old town are now different. I have 2 places that I am searching, they are both supppose to be their plantation. I just don't know which is the correct one! If you want to join me for an adventure in the swamps your welcome, be prepared. We could find this sooner than later.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Hmmmm.I go "around" there EVERY chance I get.....While nothing to do with your story, Im on a mission myself.But so far its not been very good at all.. :(..... :-\.......... :icon_study:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I know where the outpost was located. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• DCP01149.JPG
    DCP01149.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,292
  • DCP01149.JPG
    DCP01149.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,111
OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I do see 2 post and one sign, since they are outside I guess you could consider this an out post.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
The way the river runs West to East then turns up North we need to figure out which side the Trading post was on first. It sounds like east side which would be Southeast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread