Outlaw cache buried eight feet deep?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf:
How experienced is your friend at map dowsing? A key to reliable map dowsing is getting the series of questions correct. You must plan ahead of time by writing down the questions for which you want the answers to and then condense them to a size you can repeat from memory easily and smoothly. Your mind MUST be on what you're looking for and not have thoughts of OTHER things. One old time dowser used to call them "monkey thoughts" because they would throw a monkey wrench into the dowsing session. Your friend may have not had a clear enough mind at the time he checked that map. Also, he may have tried the dowsing at the wrong time. His "system" may not have been "in the mood", so to speak. Also, did he use a pendulum or L-rod? A pendulum takes a lot more expertise to use correctly.
You could check the site yourself with an L-rod on site. You'll need a single L-rod, a compass, and a map of the area you're checking. Orient the map to where you are with the compass. Then, stand with the L-rod held by your strong hand with your arm bent at about 90 degrees. With the rod pointed along one edge of the area, turn away from the area; slowly turning completely around. While doing this, keep your mind on the valuable thing you're looking for and verbally ask the rod to point to the site of the item(s). If the item is in the area, the rod will stay on it even as you're turning. Note the direction the rod is pointing with your compass and mark it on the map. Then go to a side at right angle to your first baseline and repeat the dowsing procedure again and get another line of sight from the rod. Draw the course line on the map. Where the 2 lines cross on the map will be your search site. Your can do the baseline check a couple of more times to get 3 or more course lines to mark on your map.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf,

My impression is, the 'bandit' said it was buried 8 feet down to discourage anyone from looking for it. If he wanted to discourage anyone from looking for it, that tells me either a trusted 'other' was in possession of said loot (prolly family or loved one), or he didn't get as much as he thought he did and wanted to protect his rep. et al.

if you still think the loot is there, I would figure on 4-5 feet or really shallow and under a rock to cover the spot. Or, as mentioned above, in a cave or animal burrow.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
how about its been, retold too many Xs, and its 8 feet from

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Shortstack,

My friend has been dowsing for some time.
He was trying to explain to me some of the things you just mentioned.
If I remember correctly, he said that the best time to dowse was 2 hours before sunrise, and 2 hours after sundown.
When I get back on the property, I will give the L-Rod and compass a try, thank you for the information. :thumbsup:

Timberwolf

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
airborne and cw,

The bandit did not indicate the depth of the cache, only where it was buried.
From old land records and landmarks, I have found the property. :thumbsup:
Previously, I was not conviced that dowsing actually worked.
I gave my friend a map to dowse, and did not giving him any information.
He dowsed the map 3 separate times and each time it was the same spot on the map.
As it turns out, his "x" on the map is right where I think the cache should be, from the information that I have.
It was my friend that told me the cache was 8' deep.

TW

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Tom,
Ask him what the source of his info is as far as depth.
The whole thing becomes questionable when that depth is used.
as stated before maybe 8 feet from something,
but I seriously doubt any outlaw had time to dig an 8 foot deep hole.

All in all I wish you the best of luck.
Post me a big smiley face if you have the best of luck.
call me and tell me how deep.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thom,

The 8' came from his questions of depth, while dowsing.
That is all that I know. I will let you know, if I find something and how deep. ;D

Tom

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would it be possible for landslide or maybe a dozer to have done some filling in earlier years to get the depth that is in question? If this is possible, would the known markers still be insight or would they have been removed during a excavation?

I would think with the posse tracking the pack horse, the bandit would want to bury the cache somewhere that is not noticeable in a pretty good radius from the horse. I would think with time against him and dealing with escaping from a known posse on his tail. That the marker he picked to bury his loot would be very noticeable to him and would dig in hast to make his own escape, probably shallow and covered with debris. The dowsing sounds like a Great Idea and maybe your only chance.
I wish you the best on your hunt,
Nova Treasure

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
lastleg said:
Maybe the map dowser was eight feet deep in his basement.

LOL,

He doesn't have a basement.

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
nova,

I agree. He would have buried it close to a visable landmark, and it should not be very deep.
This is why I started this thread....I don't understand how it could have gotten 8' deep, when the terrain has not been changed by modern equipment. :dontknow:

TW

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Timberwolf said:
nova,

I agree. He would have buried it close to a visable landmark, and it should not be very deep.
This is why I started this thread....I don't understand how it could have gotten 8' deep, when the terrain has not been changed by modern equipment. :dontknow:

TW

fire, flood, tremores, earthquake, especially if it was put in a crevice, burrow, small cave like opening
it could of fell to 8' deep, after so many yrs of, natures follies
just guessing
luck HH

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Put it in an 8' crevasse, and top it with leaves and dirt. If the story is true think of crevasses and gullies.

HMM! :sign13: :wink:

K

Kentucky Kache

If I believed in map dowsing, I would think either it was dropped into an old well that had been partly filled up, or maybe it was just 8 feet deep into the woods.

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Marc said:
Put it in an 8' crevasse, and top it with leaves and dirt. If the story is true think of crevasses and gullies.

HMM! :sign13: :wink:

Marc,

That sounds right, but it is not in a hilly area.
I don't think that there are any crevasses or gullies, but of course I have not been able to see all of the property.
The area that I have permission to hunt is covered in tall Johnson grass.
The area that I believe the cache is actually buried, is on the adjacent property, which the landowner won't let me hunt. :(

TW

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Kentucky Kache said:
If I believed in map dowsing, I would think either it was dropped into an old well that had been partly filled up, or maybe it was just 8 feet deep into the woods.

Kache,

I do have another theory. Perhaps the dowsed cache is not the one that I am looking for.
Perhaps there are two caches within a couple hundred yards of each other.
Maybe the cache that I seek is on the property that I have permission to hunt?

I'm dreaming big now, huh, lol.

TW

K

Kentucky Kache

Timberwolf said:
Kentucky Kache said:

Kache,

I do have another theory. Perhaps the dowsed cache is not the one that I am looking for.
Perhaps there are two caches within a couple hundred yards of each other.
Maybe the cache that I seek is on the property that I have permission to hunt?

I'm dreaming big now, huh, lol.

TW

For dreams to come true, they must first be dreamt.
Hey, if no one has ever said that, I claim it. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions