Blackbeards treasure

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Blackbeard's treasure

As a highly influenced young man of the potentials of buried treasures, esp. tales of buried treasures of pirates, anywhere within reach of the country of my upbringings, I was highly inquisitive and interested in for sure during the days of my youth and have never outgrown those days.
In my years of schooling I would search our local schools liibrary for any information of lost
treasures, treasure laden ships, buried treasures, tales, or anything related to hidden and forgotten treasures, haunted houses, ect where supposedily hidden treasures were supposedly hidden.
I was always mesmerized in such tales, and have never outgrown those desires today.
I believe maybe we all have those same desires and hopes, and that some of those tales may actually be true and there is still hidden treasures out there that have not been found today. One such so called hidden treasure I have always desired to know or question and has always been in the back of my mind is..........
The several chests of treasure supposidly buried by the pirate Blackbeard, Quote:

At Guzarat I met with a Portuguese named Anthoney de Sylvestre; he came with two other Portuguese and two Dutchmen to take on in the Moor's service, as many Europeans do,
This Anthony told me he had been among the pirates, and that he belonged to one of the sloops in Virginia when Blackbeard was taken. He informed me that if it should ever be my lot ever to go to York River or Maryland, near an Island called Mulberry Island, provided I went on shore at the watering place, where the shipping used most commonly to ride, that there the pirates had buried considerable sums of money in great chests well clamped with iron plates. As to my part, I never was that way, nor was much acquainted with any that ever used those parts; but have made inquiry,and am informed that there is such a place as Mulberry Island. If any person who uses those parts should think it worthwhile to dig at the upper end of a small grove where it is convient to land, he would find if the information was well grounded, Fronting the landing place are five trees among which he said the money was hidden. If anyone should ever go there and benifeit by this account, if it please God that they ever come to England, tis hoped they will rememebr whence they had this information.

Does anyone know if this so called buried treasure has ever been searched for, recovered, or have any clues to where it's probabilities or possibilities may be ???? ???
From the research I have done the only Mulberry Island I can find is on the James River in Virginia, and that Island today is U.S. Gov. property, a military base. The York River has a big penisula dividing it from the James river and no such named Island is on the York.
Thanks. SS

Z

ZumbroKid

Re: Blackbeard's treasure

They say the treasure ye seek is cursed! By the guardian souls place there by the pirate captain himself.

Attachments

• chillman.jpg
    chillman.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,888
OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

FreeTwoDtect said:
They say the treasure ye seek is cursed! By the guardian souls place there by the pirate captain himself.

Sure we all have heard of so called such curses of treasure from time immoral, even Blackbeard himself
said only the devil and himself knew where he buried his treasure before his death, that may be true, but does that deter one from searching for it, do you believe this curse to be true ???? ???
If everyone believed such about most hidden wealth, does that deter most from searching for them??? ??? then there would be very, very, few treasures found, or recovered if everyone believed such and for fear did not search.
Some of Blackbeard's treasure has been recovered, Silver bars on Smuttynose Island, is one example, How can one account that as being unrecoverable because of a so called curse or guardian souls ??? ???
These are simple and normal questions that ask for simple and normal answers. I am not trying to be smart or pretentious, just straight and simple questions.
Thanks for your input.
SS

Z

ZumbroKid

I've read one was dug up. Some say he never buried near as much as he is credited with. They claim he spent it on save haven, drink and wild women. Which is what i'd spend it on if i was him.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Stick,
Don't let naysayers keep you from your dream!
There are several places where Blackbeard's treasures could be hidden. maybe Mulberry Island is off limits, but SmuttyNose is definitely a place to search. Remember though, Blackbeard had lots of manpowere at his disposal so his troves will be DEEP! Don't go looking with a regular detector, it will never get deep enough. By the way, he had about 15 wives so lots of his money/treasure went to them.

grizzly bare

Z

ZumbroKid

Who is saying it can not be found? I believe treasure can be found. There is so much hidden wealth in this country that it would boggle the mind. I only posted several of the accepted views on this topic.

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

grizzly bare said:
Stick,
Don't let naysayers keep you from your dream!
There are several places where Blackbeard's treasures could be hidden. maybe Mulberry Island is off limits, but SmuttyNose is definitely a place to search. Remember though, Blackbeard had lots of manpowere at his disposal so his troves will be DEEP! Don't go looking with a regular detector, it will never get deep enough. By the way, he had about 15 wives so lots of his money/treasure went to them.

grizzly bare

Thanks for the encouragement.
HH
SS

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

FreeTwoDtect said:
I've read one was dug up. Some say he never buried near as much as he is credited with. They claim he spent it on save haven, drink and wild women. Which is what i'd spend it on if i was him.

Two dtect, I probably if I was in his position at the time, might have spent a lot on safe have and women too,
but I think he may not have been as scatter brained as most might believe.
His safe haven was obtained by the dry goods, Tobacco, Rum, Brandy, food, silk, cotton, wool, and other staples brought into the home of the Governor of N.C. that paid for his safe haven, the value of those staples were split between the crew, of course the ruling powers got the largest share, but you can bet your
a$$ that very few pieces of 8 and hard currency went to the powers that be, and that was the main reason
he was in the occupation of Piracy, like Donald Trump, Money, Money, Money
Does that make sense???
Thanks
SS

Z

ZumbroKid

You bet thats what you would of spent your money on. ;)

Z

ZumbroKid

I'll look around and see what i can find on this. There are several stories i sort of remember.

corsair

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2005

I m same category man,im interrested in it for many years.The last 15 years im colecting various info,ciphers etc about treasure buried whereever in the world.and i m trying to solve them.Some of them i have done.But i haven t enough money for traveling there for proof im right ,or not.Do you have some cipher or info about some treasures?

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

In the movie Blackbeard's Ghost, it's all a lie.? Blackbeard was a failed pirate who squandered all his loot. But watching the movie, you start to think it may not be an accurate portrayal... :D? funny movie though!

Attachments

• blackbeard.jpg
    blackbeard.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,140
Z

ZumbroKid

Is this a good movie, i mean enjoyable to watch?

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

Uhhh.....it's funny. It was made in 1968, so you can imagine the special effects are OUTSTANDING!!! ;D
Good to rent, probably wouldn't buy it.

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Hello Cosair, I haven't heard tell of any ciphers old blackbeard may have made.
I'm not saying there arn't any, but the only ciphers that I personally have heard about is the Beal
case, which I don't beleive anyone has deciphered yet, but that is another story that has only resulted in dead ends as far as I know.
I didn't see the 1968 film about Blackbeard, might try to rent it sometime, thanks for the info, the 50's and 60's and early 70's were the good years for big screen movies, I think they had much better and clearer sound effects than todays movies have. I like to watch any of them that has the lure and adventure of treasure, makes no difference wheather I know it's a made up tale or not, it's fun.
HH
SS

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Hey Two Detect
I'm not much good at identifying coins, but would you please tell me what kind of Coin
that is you have for an Icon. looks like one of high value. ::)
Thanks, SS

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Could it be that Black Beard's cache was found on the York river in the 1950's ? ??? :(
There was during that time a large Yatch reportedly spotted lying around in the river close to one of the prominate Plantations a couple miles up the York for a couple of days. The family of the
plantation kept a watch on it and come to determine it was one from upstate N.Y. The last day after
it was seen they looked to see if it was still laying around and it was gone.
They went down to the shore of the river to investigate and found up and near an enbankment a
large hole had been dug and in the bottom of the hole was the sign of a large box shaped imprint with old rust stains in a large checkerbord pattern.
HH
SS

C

Campy

Hello all. I've been reading the reviews as I'm looking to get a MD, most likely from KellyCo. After browsing the forum, I stumbled upon this thread and felt compelled to register/reply.

Mullberry Island in the James River was once the home of John Rolfe, better known as "the guy Pocahontas saved" and later married. It is now Ft Eustis. Ft Eustis is the Army's transportation and logistics HQ and is the only Army fort in use that has an active pier. The area that best fits the description provided is the site of that pier, which was dredged and constructed shortly after the Army acquired the island in 1914, and the Army Corps of Engineers dredges the area around the pier relatively frequently. If there ever was a cache there, methinks it'd certainly be destroyed by now.

I would highly doubt that Blackbeard (or any other "pyrate") would have buried treasure in this part of Virginia. At that time, Virginia was one of the most wealthy and profitable colonies of the Crown. The capital at that time was in Williamsburg, only a few minutes via horse from the James River. The port of Hampton Roads was one of the busiest ports in the colonies shipping tobacco and cotton to England as well as receiving commodities (like sugar and slaves) by way of the Carribean.

Fort Wool is/was located on an island in the middle of Hampton Roads at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, and Fort Wool's cannon protected the commerce of Hampton and Norfolk, the shipyards in Newport News and Portsmouth, and the colony's capital. Suffice it to say, Blackbeard's vessel would have been most unwelcome! The James and York were heavily patrolled, and there is little to no chance that either Blackbeard or his treasure could have made its way that far upriver. Don't get me wrong, there was a small amount of piracy in the Chesapeake Bay, but it was small-time when compared to the likes of Blackbeard.

Blackbeard plied the coast of North Carolina and points south. Interestingly, he was highly thought of by coastal Carolinians for his generosity and benevolence, and counted as his friends the most influential people in the colony, including Charles Eden, the governor. Many of the vessels he intercepted were headed for the port of Hampton Roads. Growing weary of Blackbeard, Virginia's Governor Spottswood sent troops into North Carolina by land and by sea to find and kill Blackbeard.

The only time Blackbeard made it past Fort Wool was when his decapitated head was placed upon a poll at the Hampton River. It's far more likely, IMO, that portions of his treasure are still in North Carolina. I'd guess Ocracoke Island, Bath (the one-time capital of NC and the site of his home), or Wilmington. Also, a friend's wife (not a treasure hunter, just lucky I suppose) discovered a piece of eight after a nor'easter at Oregon Inlet in NC.

After I decide which MD to get, that's where I'll be going (provided I find one that does well around salt and brackish water!).

I'm sorry for writing a novel here -- I live in Virginia Beach and between my fascination with pirates, history, and having run my boat all over the Elizabeth, James, and York Rivers, I just thought I'd share the info.

... Or maybe I just don't want you snooping around my Mullberry Island site! ;) Good luck!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

6 years ago while accidently detecting around okracoke i located a hole app. 20-24 inches by 36 inches by nearly 4 ft deep...inside was the perfect impression of a two banded chest that was around 2 ft to 2 ft 6 inches tall .......this was located in a small patch of very very old trees right beside a cove that was in the late 1700s to early 1800s named '' pirates cove '' on maps.......this is on the opposite side of the island as teaches camp was, and a few miles away.....there is also a depression about 15-20 ft across and several feet deep at the camp spot, right under a large very old tree branch.........gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread