The perfect dig tool for cache hunting

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Hi

I found this video where this gentleman built this pole digger carrier, perfect to drill and see before where be a cache buried.
BTW, that gentleman in the video is not Bill Clinton.

Thanks
[youtube=425,350] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

K

Kentucky Kache

It might not be good for the cache, but it would be great for post holes.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kentucky

Indeed this machine was designed to dig hole to bury poles, that's is correct, my point is that you can use it for other purpose, like drill a hole to see whether you had found a cache or not. Most of cache are buried between 4 to 5'-0" depth.

arch

Spleenu

Sep 27, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That's pretty cool. An auger on a stand. I was using an auger to drill a post hole before, and it hit a rock and ricocheted and nearly broke my finger. Caused tendon damage, and I still can't bend my finger all the way. Something like this would be great for preventing injuries like that.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
You said
Most of cache are buried between 4 to 5'-0" depth.

How do you know?

Jeff

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I would like to see it work in Caliche...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the post hole digger at Harbor Freight :sign13:, build your own frame. :icon_thumleft: Or if your time is limited like me, add two pieces or 1" conduit and bring a buddy to hold the other side. :thumbsup:

BTW: Buy the warranty ::)

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
You said
Most of cache are buried between 4 to 5'-0" depth.

How do you know?

Jeff

Other treasure hunter finding caches in Mexico, Colombia, EU and myself in the Caribbean. Make some research and you will find more information about testimonies finding caches.

Architecad

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
If you hit the cache square on with that auger post hole contraption, it would ruin the cache for sure.

If you're carefull using the auger may be you will ruin the lid of the cache or strong box or whatever, but what do you want? that box or the coins inside the box?

Architecad

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Post hole banks are not 4' - 5' deep too are they? It sounds like a metal
detector wouldn't do much good at locating caches if most of them are that
deep. Or do we need to carry the post auger and a two-box detector?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't see people putting a cache 6 foot or more in the ground, how can they get to it when they needed it. I could see a cache being that deep in a ocean area covered with sand or a inland flood zone. I don't mean no dis-respect here, I see to many other post about people claiming they have a location of cache 20 feet deep, and they just won't dig it the heck up. If it was easy, there would be no cache's left, lol. Me and my cousin dug out a 8 foot privy in two days with a shovel and bucket on a rope for a few old bottles. I would dig 20 feet deep with a shovel for sure if I knew there was a treasure chest full of gold and silver coins. I am just not convinced we can accurately tell the exact location of a deep cache at this time. They had a nice stage coach chest on a recent episode of Pawn Stars that had some value to it. If you dug one of them up it would probaly be toast by now any way.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home Depot - Plumbing Section -- they have a six foot ground probe with a T-Handle -- other options Arc-Data-Logger, Backhoe

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's what you need alright, something to ruin the crap outta your coins and other valuables when it hits them and chews them up. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I'd like to see what that thing would do if it came gnawing right down in the middle of a pot of old valuable gold coins or silverware,etc. It would not be pretty- I can tell you that! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: and the value would plunge like a lead duck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That post hole digger kind of takes the fun out of seeing that first glitter of gold or silver plus those things are kind of heavy. Can you imagine what it could do to the coin rating? Now I know I will get an arguement about this, but I have never found a casch with the top lower than 2'. Granted when the Japanese planted all that gold on that island it was 20+' but that is the exception!

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
Why would anyone go to the trouble of burying a cache 6 feet deep if the location was a secret? If I was burying something, the location would be much more important than the depth and I would want to be able to retrieve it easily. And for those caches that were buried in a hurry you can bet that they weren't more than a couple of feet deep. The idea of deeply buried caches is just illogical.

William123

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
It is a EZ-WAY Earth Drill.

That dig postholes for a living know that digging postholes with a power posthole digger of any kind is always strenuous and dangerous work.
is the safest, easiest way to dig a posthole ever

Check it in http://www.earthdrill.net/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread