Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. Finally got thru all the posts.

My recommendation: start with the obvious. Caches are often in plain site within quick recovery of the front door of the home.

Check any old autos is a good idea for this site. Check the auto shop site. I know you don't have access to it, but that's one of the most likely areas: where someone would be working every day and checking through bolt cans or containers wouldn't be out-of-the-ordinary.

Some suggestions: my grandfather used to keep V nickels in the bottom of a coffee can which had 2-3 inches of bolts and nuts on top of it in his tool shed. My mother knew nothing about it. Grandpa took my brothers to show me, and we had fun trying to scratch the nickels with nails, knifes, and hammers. Odd what you remember ...

Another great-uncle, after dying, left an estate including $760,000 in banks alone! A constant collector, he had a gallon jar of Indian Head cents on his kitchen table when he died. He had a drawer with $1,000 face value silver coins in it, and another drawer with gems: diamonds, rubies, opals, etc. He owner a 47-carat men's diamond ring: half finished and faceted, half natural. Odd thing: the ring disappeared before the estate could be probated. He offered me a job running a wheat ranch he owned in Canada the day I graduated from high school. I thought it kind of odd at the time. His tractors had compasses as you couldn't see the end of the field. Ranch had something like 40,000 acres in it.

Here's a thought: start at the front door or front window, and search the first 20 feet away, picking up everything metal, including iron. If man may have been well-off, cache area would of necessity been larger than if just a poor farmer hiding a few coins for a rainy day. Check flower beds (already suggested) and old trees or stumps CAREFULLY.

A few years ago started exchanging letters with a cache hunter East of me. His last letter included out-of-focus photos of a cache he had found. He had got a lead from an old-folks home about an early coin collector who was thought to have buried his collection. Hunter knew where the property was. Home long gone, site overgrown, many old tree stumps. He spent the first hour on the site sitting on one tree stump, trying to envision where the house was, where the outbuildings were, where the old road used to run. He then turned on his detector, walked over to the largest stump nearby, and started a search pattern. Within 10 minutes, he had a big signal, and spent the next 2 hours digging out what proved to be a miner's lunch box. Inside, wrapped in oilskin, was the coin cache. It contained a complete set of Trade Dollars, including the rare proof issues; a complete set of $5 and $10 gold coins from the 1810-1830 period. It had 10 Continental Dollars in 6 different metal contents; 5 1793 half cents, and 5 1793 cents.

These things DO happen. You must try to put yourself in the position of someone hiding valuables on the site: where would YOU hide something that the neighbors wouldn't think as being out of place?

All this! Remember too, that if there is a lot of old car junk on the property you may have to clear all that stuff off the surface before you can pick up anything under it. Otherwise it could be masking out the cache. Some of that stuff may be there purposely to throw off any would be hunters as well. Dig everything until you have clean ground without a signal. Most caches will also come up as iron on your ace250 as well......run wide open and dig it all.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i look for something like that,"of course i have never found it",I always think where would I have buried it.But they are out there.good luck:coins:

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not had occasion to hide anything but since I MD, I know for a fact that if I was going to bury something in my yard, I would bury it vertically to minimize it's electronic signature, AND I would get a box of dove/birdshot shotgun shells and remove all of the lead shot and scatter them all over my yard. That should help to discourage anyone from hunting around my yard. ( I know, it's pure evil and I would not like to have to detect it either.)

O

Old Silver

Michigan Michael must have found this cache and moved to a warmer climate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread