Rumor Farm Cache.

M

michigan michael

Hi all. This is my first post in this category. I had a family member ask a friend of theirs if I could mine their property. That's what she calls it. She asks if I am going mining today all the time. lol ;D
The answer was yes and I was getting the background of the place over the phone on the way there. I am told there are a lot of arrow heads in the field. I was asked to please let the property owner have what I find of them. (They pulled 3 cigar boxes full of them from the field. He collects them.) I thought that was more than fair seems how I was asking to metal detect and not arrow hunt. The background of the property starts from the Indian period and shortly after the relocation program a farm was erupted there. Years later on this farm there are many barns and small sheds that looks as if they may of been outhouses once upon a time. A mechanic business was started on the property and lots of car parts, tools and misc parts were brought in. I am told that old man worked for one of the big three, and NEVER and I mean NEVER SPENT MONEY! They owned like 3 cars in their lifetime and lived a very simple life. When this gentleman passed away there was no bank accounts because he did not trust banks and no sign of money in the house. :icon_scratch:

The family jokes of a fortune being buried on the property some where. They laugh and say, "Who would bury their money? Ha Ha! but, what did he do with the money? " I kind of took this part of the story with a grain of salt. I was just happy to hunt some private property again. I arrived and checked in with the family member of the house. As I was leaving the wife says if you find that chest we want half and starts to laugh. I smiled and said no problem. :icon_scratch: My son and I search for a couple hours not finding much of anything. an axe head, square nails, some shell casings etc. Not a single coin! (There is a lot of iron littered in the ground here. ) :icon_scratch: So, what I have here is a possible hoarder, that most hoarders would have a tight grasp on their coins, I have a story of missing money with zero assets to show for and extremely old land. Where do I seriously start hunting this cache? I am worried because I am only armed with an ace 250 so who knows if I am walking right over it. I plan on upgrading but, not until after the holidays.

Any suggestions out there? Any encouragement? Do you think the story could be real? I would really like to find this for myself and their family. Thanks for any and all help.

~HH

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check tool boxes; containers of spare nuts and bolts. Look around and think," where would I hide money or other valuables?" There are just too many places to list here. But, there is one point I DO want to stress. Get something in writing about sharing any treasure you find. If you don't, greed will step in and that family will take it all. Just a thought. Even the best of folks can get real "possessive" when it comes to valuables found; especially on their own property.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the last writer. Get things in writing, or you may lose everything.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't get it in writting on my first big find which was a keg of silver dollars minted before 1840 (may have had a few 1804s) the land owner wouldn't let me dig it after i found it. You have to get it in writing or you won't get anything in most cases.

Look around for older trees by themselves but near a building. Check to see if any of the buildings were used for animals....the one just mentioned was at he edge of a chicken house..why? Because anyone trying to sneak in and dig there would make the chickens start squawking...same goes for pigs...and horses. The person would probably bury it where he could see it from a window in the house. Check fences posts, check false boards in floors in buildings. A friend of mine noticed the vent in the floor was just an opening into the dirt under the house, reached down and dusted off a buried tackle box under 1 inch of dirt found $18,000 in cash in it.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

Wow! Greed is pretty harsh isn't it? :icon_scratch: Thanks for the advise. I dont have anything in writting so, I will get that taken care of ASAP. A keg of silver dollars.........Man that is a heart breaker. As a treasure hunter at least you had the experience. To bad the deal went south though.

I am having a tough time on the property due to all the farm trash. Lots and lots of nails, brackets, and unknown pieces. The ACE 250 is awesome in the tot lots but really struggling in this area. I will keep everyone posted as to what I find there. It looks as snow might be on the way so, it may have to torment me all winter long. On the other hand I will have the minelab after the holidays so maybe snow is for the best.

Thanks all. HH

MM

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just rambling a little.........i notice you are in SE Michigan, that makes me think of frozen ground during winter months which would make it difficult to access a cache buried outside, not to mention the unwanted attention of someone digging in the frozen ground, also would be hard to conceal.

Is the house still standing? Was there a main shed where he spent most of his time?

I know of a house where nearly $50,000 was found in the walls when the children started tearing it down after their parents died. Seems they ran a small store in a rural area and didn't get to town very often and most of their time was spent at the store so they didn't have time to go out and spend much money

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

CWnut said:
Just rambling a little.........i notice you are in SE Michigan, that makes me think of frozen ground during winter months which would make it difficult to access a cache buried outside, not to mention the unwanted attention of someone digging in the frozen ground, also would be hard to conceal.

Is the house still standing? Was there a main shed where he spent most of his time?

I know of a house where nearly $50,000 was found in the walls when the children started tearing it down after their parents died. Seems they ran a small store in a rural area and didn't get to town very often and most of their time was spent at the store so they didn't have time to go out and spend much money

Yes I am a Michigander. Winters in the southern part of the state have been extremely mild compared to what they were 10 years ago. We have not really even had flurries yet. A few flakes and wet mushy ground. I am sure the weather is getting ready to change REAL SOON though. The dreaded snow will soon be here. I don't have to conceal digging because I do have permission to be there but, once the ground freezes its, game off until the thaw.

The house is still standing, there was a small fire a few years ago so if cash was in the walls its probably went up in smoke. The family repaired the damage. As far as sheds he has a small auto repair business on the grounds. The inside of everything is off limits to me though. Maybe if I don't turn up with anything they will open up to the idea. I have a lot of grass, fields and woods to cover though. The thought of uncovering something has me smiling like a little kid on Christmas! ;D I will update after next hunt. Thanks for viewing.
MM

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean conceal your diggings, i was talking about whoever may have buried anything.

Keep us posted..good luck.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
anyone have any form type letters for keeping finds or sharing finds with owners or know where to find something? Thanks

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
MM:

Since you can only hunt the exterior of the structures and the land try the
corners of the buildings first. Take along a steel rake and use it to get the
shallow junk away from the corners and sides. It's entirely a guessing game
outside but you might step off ten paces from the corners and detect there.
In my opinion if there is a cache it would be inside. Burying money in the
ground is chancy when you can hide it inside where you can get to it easier.
I couldn't sleep at night knowing my life savings was hidden out in the yard.
Could you? Don't get hung up on the idea every mizer put their dough in an
iron pot in the ground. It doesn't sound like these people would allow you to
do a thorough search of the structures so you may be wasting time on this
place. But don't let that put a crimp in finding unlittered spots where the Ace can do what it is capable of. Good hunting.

lastleg

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a buried milk can cache. If it was planted shallow in the ground upright during the warm months, you could put the lid on it with a few inches of gravel on top and use it year round.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Here is the "Search and Salvage Agreement" form I use. I got it years ago and there is no
copyright on it and I haven't had it checked by an attorney but it is the best I have.
Good luck,
Rich

Attachments

• SEARCH AND SALVAGE AGREEMENT001.jpg
    SEARCH AND SALVAGE AGREEMENT001.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 2,595

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Obviously I am having problems posting my "Search and Salvage agreement". The forum won't
take PDF and I am open to suggestions.
Rich

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
as others have said about being somewhere where he spent a lot of time. That is good advice. If you are in the house sometime ask them where he spent most of his time in the house. Then look out the windows of that room and see about any trees, posts, etc. Most money pinchers like to keep their money very close to them or easily visible/accessible.

As far as posting that agreement. print it off and take a picture of it! :) then post it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread