Mar 11, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going Out Hunting Again for Mosby

Roadquest,
Glad to hear your still out there huntin', so many have been M.I.A. from this site! A great book by W.C. Jameson includes your Mosby story in great detail. I think it's the one called Treasure of the Ozarks, but more research would pay you some dividends here. Fact, I think I have it among my 800+ books at home. Check it out if you can as it is widely available and highly entertaining while being informative.
HH
-spyguy

I have got some great leads and will be going out this spring to make some headway. I am more than willing to take those with me that are interested. Let me know. Also, if anyone has some great insights. I have read Mosby's memoirs, old maps, etc.

Look forward to hearing back.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research on some land near my home in Albermarle County, VA, and I believe I've located Mosby's home. He grew up there and returned to it after the war, and it was eventually burned.

I'm in the process of reading his memoirs now - I'm not necessarily a believer that there is treasure to be found connected to him, but I live in the same area he did and am willing to chase down leads.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but wanted to post an update. I never did get a solid confirmation that the site I believe to be Mosby’s home is actually his. The landowner was difficult to contact, but I did eventually find speak to someone who lives very near, and spoke to many people in the area. The homestead is of approximately the right age for it to be true, and as of December 2017 when I last visited the area, it has been virtually untouched. I don’t believe anyone has yet gained permission to search it, as the neighbors who have lived there for many years reported that they’d never seen anyone there investigating it in any way.

I no longer live in central VA, so this is something I can’t easily track down in person now. I do have some friends and acquaintances in that area, though, and can likely get photographs and such if anyone is interested in pursuing it further.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Fauquier Times July 31, 2018 article by staff writer Leland Schwartz states that Warrentown Town Council sold John S Mosby's Brentmoor home to Kirk and Rebecca Goolsby for $425,000 who intend to convert the former museum into a private residence.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some research on some land near my home in Albermarle County, VA, and I believe I've located Mosby's home. He grew up there and returned to it after the war, and it was eventually burned.

I'm in the process of reading his memoirs now - I'm not necessarily a believer that there is treasure to be found connected to him, but I live in the same area he did and am willing to chase down leads.

I talked to John Singleton Mosby's granddaughter. Mosby died a pauper, she told me. He could not even pay for his own funeral.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread