Wad of Cash Found in New Orleans Home

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Here's a news wire article about a wad of cash found in a house in New Orleans being cleaned up by volunteers. From what I have read here I doubt many TN posters would have turned the cash over to the legitimate owner.

Wad of Cash Found in New Orleans Home

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Trista Wright was spending her spring break cleaning out hurricane-damaged homes when she discovered some unusual papers among the moldy plaster board and debris.

"I started raking it out of the air conditioner vent. I thought it was garbage and I was going to shovel it up, but I bent down to pick it up, and it was a stack of $100 bills, and then more and more kept coming," the 19-year-old said Tuesday on CNN.

By an unofficial count, it was more than $30,000.

Wright and fellow students notified the organizers of their church mission, who told the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office.

The woman who owned the house, who has asked that she not be identified, was as shocked as Wright.

"She was speechless," said Wright, an Armstrong Atlantic State University student was among 175 Georgia college students spending their week off volunteering in the city's Arabi area.

Deputy Gary Adams verified the identity of the woman who owned the home.

Adams said it's not uncommon to find weapons or medications behind the walls of homes, but this was the biggest sum of hidden money he had heard of. "It's good to see someone find something like that and turn it over to proper authorities and the rightful owner," he said.

The homeowner said she suspects the money belonged to her father, who was wary of banks. The home had been in the family for generations, she said.

"I had my suspicions about the money at first, but once I met the family and talked to the woman, I have no doubt she's telling the truth," said Aaron Arledge, one of the organizers of the mission. "She said her father grew up during the Depression and must not have told anyone in the family about it before he died."

The one-story house was flooded to the eaves by Katrina and, aside from the hidden money, none of its contents could be saved, church officials said.

"To see that woman's face when we told her about the money, that's the kind of positive story that makes all the hard work worthwhile," said the Rev. Warren Jones Jr. of New Salem Baptist Church in the Ninth Ward, which has served as a base for church missions. "She said it was a miracle. And when you think about it, it was."

Haley Barton, a fellow student who was in the house with Wright, said there was never a question of keeping the money.

"I think that it's expected of us as young people, or people of any age this day, to go in and take it and not be faithful or trustworthy in turning it in, but that wasn't even an option for us," she said.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finders keepers............

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Reading this story and watching as people gut or tear down the houses makes me wonder about coin shops and the like in and around New Orleans, surely the floods cleaned these places out. I wonder if there are any stories of finding older coins, etc from these shops.

just a thought.

HH!

-Hunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hbeaton said:
Reading this story and watching as people gut or tear down the houses makes me wonder about coin shops and the like in and around New Orleans, surely the floods cleaned these places out. I wonder if there are any stories of finding older coins, etc from these shops.

just a thought.

HH!
-Hunter
They were most likely looted by the roving gangs and oppurtunists. But if they couldn't smuggle them out of the area, they would have hidden them to come back later. But how do you bury valuables in a flooded area?

A good friend of mine is working in the devastated areas. I asked him on the phone if he found much money. He said he doesn't keep anything he finds. He did say that he finds a lot of guns in the rubble.

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
Hats off to the young ladies who found it. Not everyone would do the right thing!
Bu

O

Ole Mole

Wow!!!
That's great to see something good come out of the devistation there in New Orleans as many people didn't have insurance and lost most everything they had.
My hats off to the young lady who did the right thin and hand over the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread