Thieves...

shabbytrick

Dec 7, 2009
I don't know if this is a common problem in other areas of the country... My Father-In-Law took my two young boys and I to one of his farms (been in the family nearly 100 years), still has a couple of old barns and the farm house, we went to do a little fishing, but it was poor and he decided to show us some of the old tractors in the barn and then we went to the old house. He has had it completely boarded up on the ground level but the the back door was torn open. He says he has had some vandals in the past, we went in to discover a lot of walls were opened up with most likely with a sledge hammer. Just lots of general damage... kids we thought. we went up stairs and saw a space in the wall where the stairs met the second floor was at opened up kind of a weird space to mess with we looked in side this little space and found a perfect dust free surface about the size of a large mason jar the rest of the area completely covered in dust.

Instead of the run of mill kids tearing up a house, we've got experienced theives tearing up abondonded farm houses looking for hidden caches. This house according to my father-in-law has been empty since the mid 60s, can only image what was sitting in that jar or can in that little hidden area in the stairs. Asking around after that it turns out several old homes had been searched with lots of damage done in the area around his house.

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Shabbytrick,

This is very unfortunate, and I believe rather uncommon, yet I have seen this type of behavior before.
Karl Von Mueller, in his Treasure Hunters Manuals, admonished all to leave things as they found them, whether they found any treasure or not. Permission to search is allways recommended.
Respect for property is, just like respect for one another, paramount.
You might find out who did this and swear out a warrant for their arrest; it certainly is fitting, as whoever is responsible, has all the morals of an alleycat.
It is my sincere hope that whoever is responsible will be caught and prosecuted. I believe everyone here on this forum would agree with me.
Should you desire, it is possible someone in your area my wish to volunteer as good will ambassadors to assist you and similarly affected folks in your area, in cleaning up the mess left by these looters.
On behalf of the community here on T-net,we are sincerely sorry to hear about what happened.

Kindest wishes, best regards.

The Gringo

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they are looking for copper wire more than caches ::) Brass and copper thefts in Arizona and other places are way up. Maybe I'm wrong but around here it's the copper. I think I saw a billboard in Az. offering a reward for copper wire theft

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper wire...sure. I sincerely hope you find the thieves and prosecute. As for the majority of us, we wouldn't touch private property without written permission.

OP
OP
shabbytrick

shabbytrick

Dec 7, 2009
shabbytrick said:
I don't know if this is a common problem in other areas of the country... My Father-In-Law took my two young boys and I to one of his farms (been in the family nearly 100 years), still has a couple of old barns and the farm house, we went to do a little fishing, but it was poor and he decided to show us some of the old tractors in the barn and then we went to the old house. He has had it completely boarded up on the ground level but the the back door was torn open. He says he has had some vandals in the past, we went in to discover a lot of walls were opened up with most likely with a sledge hammer. Just lots of general damage... kids we thought. we went up stairs and saw a space in the wall where the stairs met the second floor was at opened up kind of a weird space to mess with we looked in side this little space and found a perfect dust free surface about the size of a large mason jar the rest of the area completely covered in dust.

Instead of the run of mill kids tearing up a house, we've got experienced theives tearing up abondonded farm houses looking for hidden caches. This house according to my father-in-law has been empty since the mid 60s, can only image what was sitting in that jar or can in that little hidden area in the stairs. Asking around after that it turns out several old homes had been searched with lots of damage done in the area around his house.

As i reread my original post i didn't mean to imply the practice of cache hunting is thieving, i love the hunt and research as much as anyone else. Just can't believe how some people go about it. My father-in-law would have let them hunt the grounds, for a share of what ever they found and the house would have remained undamaged.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A treasure hunter is willing to share. A thief is not. A vandal would have damaged the building with no apparent intent or target. The damage you discovered, as well as the dust-free area, suggests a knowledgeable thief.

Sorry for your father-in-law's loss.

It may be time to research the previous owners, just to see if they might have hidden other items of value.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>:( :o

sorry to hear this, puts a black mark on all th'ers. A thief is a thief; whether he uses a metal detector, crow bar or a credit card. But did you ever wonder why the public will label every detectorist as a bad apple because of the actions of one or a few when their is lots and lots more credit/debit card rip-off.
hey, you carry debit card=you bad man....

was their evidence of copper theft or did it look like they had a purpose?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread