Best detector for cache in house walls?

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I've been looking at the Garrett Wall Scanner "he smallest of all the scanners. Designed to search for gold, silver, and jewelry in old houses, barns, walls, book safes, etc." http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-handhelds.htm.

I'm wondering what is the best hand held detector to find a hidden cache in a wall or fence, but I dont want to find nail heads, I want gold or silver. I was wondering what you guys might think or recommend in the way of a detector.

Mayan Hunter

Jan 25, 2011
Utah desert
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Colt 44/Fisher Gemini lll/Minolta 400 SLR
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well photo-master, I'm surprized you haven't heard about digital technology that can photograph the electromagnetic energy that gold, silver, lead, and other metals produce in various colors.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Okay Mayan Hunter, Talk to me like I am a six year old and explain this technology. No I am not six, but I am 61 so grasping new dang fangle technology is a challenge. :tongue3:

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Mayan Hunter said:
Well photo-master, I'm surprized you haven't heard about digital technology that can photograph the electromagnetic energy that gold, silver, lead, and other metals produce in various colors.

Myan What's up with that? I believe your talking about X- ray or infra red, or some form there of. I am not aware of any real science that uses "electromagnetic energy" that gold or silver will produce various colors. The problem here is most of us do not have 50K to spend on 21st century search equipment. For some other technology you may be speaking of that I am not aware of that makes metal (gold, silver) excited through photons or heated by infrared to produce any signature/color I can not say. However I can tell you it would have to be so powerful the radiation would give you cancer. --That is unless your thinking of Physics that read oras?

Information on millimeter wave scanners
http://autos.aol.com/article/x-ray-truck/ or
http://www.infowars.com/4th-amendment-violating-mobile-x-ray-scanners-hit-the-streets/

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There is a device that is sold to police departments that can see thru walls, but I believe it works on infrared technology and is very expensive.
I use a Vibra-Tector Which is about 12" long and has a 5" coil. It can detect to 6", most walls are 4". You can tell the nails by the pattern. The unit is a PI unit so it has good penetration. It is actually built for under water searches.
I also have a stud finder that uses ultrasonic technology so it can find non metalic masses in the wall also, but it is a royal pain to use because varrying thickness of materials cause falseing. Frank

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayan Hunter said:

Photo-

Some say that by placing certain filters over your digital camera lense you can photograph electromagnetic auras around metals. I wouldn't know if it works, but I do know that your camera can see infrared emissions. Point an IR remote control at your digital camera and press any button on the remote while looking at the viewer screen. You will see the IR light flash, something your naked eye cannot see.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I take ,it was a joke, because gold has no electromagnetic energy.
Yes, I do photography work and I use to photograph buildings to show where the heat losses were. I did this in the film era and there was special infrared film. Most Digital cameras pick up infrared light, but most have a built in filter that filteres it out to a large degree. You can buy cameras that pickup infrared or there are companies that convert cameras by removing the filter. Infrared images are different. They kind of reverse the contrast. a good example is trees are white.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about seeing the light from a remote, through the digi camera lense, didnt notice that before, learn something every day!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
When we stop learning something new every day, they plant us!

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hey guys as far as the infrared filter and a digital/film camera goes that is a bunch of quackery/BS. Akin to the ghost hunters using a video camera with IR LED's to try to find ghosts. IMHO

No matter what filter you put on a camera visible light would still need to strike the object, it simply will not reveal anything under the ground. It is possible to see metal objects "MAYBE" an inch under topsoil, but they would need to be heated by the sun and have a different temp, then the camera would have to record that. In a house near impossible. Basically don't waste your time or money chasing ghosts and making a fool of yourself...

Thanks, HH

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
photomaster, I hate to say this but visible light is hot required to get an image. infrared light is not visible to you, but it is visible to the sensor in a camera or scope. There are night vision scopes that can see in total darkness. They have an infrared light source. The filter I mentioned in prior post sits on the sensor, not in front of the lens. Heat waves escaping from a building will show up on infrared film.

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Frankn said:
photomaster, I hate to say this but visible light is hot required to get an image. infrared light is not visible to you, but it is visible to the sensor in a camera or scope. There are night vision scopes that can see in total darkness. They have an infrared light source. The filter I mentioned in prior post sits on the sensor, not in front of the lens. Heat waves escaping from a building will show up on infrared film.

Frankn, TRUE that infrared is NOT part of the visible light spectrum; thus its name infra-red, above red or wavelengths longer than that of visible light. Night vision uses near-infrared or ultraviolet radiation as well as "intensification" to to see in a dark environment. Also TRUE that buildings, trees, and humans will show up on infrared film (700 nm to about 900 nm), FLIR, and digital thermal imaging. --But objects (coins, gold, silver) under ground or behind walls will NOT unless we are talking about hot water pipes, heating duct work, Etc. That was my point, sorry if I did not verbalize it well.

P.S. I thought you may have been talking about this utter nonsense:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Photo, first let me say I am legally deaf, That is I can't hear above 1KH so I couldn't hear the sound of your Video. But from what I gathered from the video images, I would agree that this guy is full of it. Those coins were about 6" down so they probably never even felt the heat from the sun at 3:20 which was indicated on his watch. Gold does not hold heat well, that is one of the reasons it is such a good electric conductor. An iron object in a desert area just after sundown would probably show up well on thermal imaging. Iron holds heat longer. I think the guy is just out to sell his book.

OP
OP
photo-master

photo-master

Jan 17, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
So Frankn have you ever found anything worth wild hidden behind a wall using your Vibra-Tector?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yes, but you never know who is listening.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo master has some interesting science which I can not re create. I am to understand gold could be found by watching a mountain at night and looking for blue sparks of light. I have heard of a blue or purple mist visible at first light in the morning also. I have never found gold this way, but have seen the flashes of light in known gold areas. The old ways have been lost to all but a few. Does it work, well it used to. My toys, are not even pulled out of the truck till I have a reason to believe there is a something there. The xray scope as talked about on here does exist, but most likely not something the average person would have access too. Research is the best tool, and I can enjoy a good book. If you are looking for a easy way out here looking for a rare and precious metal, well maybe we need to look at the operator and not the tool. Just get out and look, and you will find more with the muscle between your ears than a new expensive detection that guarantees to find gold. As for searching and discing out nails, I think there has been some good info to help you out here. You don't want to get rid of the nail signals.

Remember the old coot who hid his money was thinking about you not finding it when he did it.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Would you want to know if a ghost was in the wall. Actually a BFO works great for wall caches.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Infra-red camera could be a great tool in the right hands. A temperature differential would be required, so going in a bit after sunrise or after dusk where the wall is cold/warm vs metal object behind the wall that hasn't quite adjusted to the temperature change. You should get a fair image outline of the object inside the wall also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread