South Carolina Cache Stories

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Joe, when you ask for info. you have to give a location. S.C. is a big place. You also have to say what you are looking for. I'll take a shot in the dark.
1775: Site of The GREAT CANE BRAKE on the Reedy river,6 mi. SW of Fountain Inn,Was the campsite of 4000 Patriots. Tories attacked the camp and suffered heavy losses before retreating. The area is rich in artifax and relics. That's Greenville Co.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Got lots, and don't plan on following-up on any of them. Tell me which county(ies) and towns you're interested in.

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard of any around Greenwood or surrounding counties, lol??

Todd

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Greenwood Co.---Ninety-Six Battlefield, 2 mi. S of today's Ninety-Six, was the sene of 3 different battles during the Revolutionary War. The area is rich in colonial-era relics and artifax.

My treasure listings as are most listings are by state and county. I don't know which counties are next to each other, they are in alphabetical order. Some treasures have several names so they aren't listed by name except in cross references, which I don't have. If you have the name of a cache you usually have the state.

Here's a tip for basic research. Look in Thomas P. Terry's United States Treasure Atlas. South Carolina is in Vol. 8 page 873 Buy it or look at it at the library.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Some leads close to Greenwood:

From Thomas P. Terry's Treasure Map Atlas, p. 55-56 (c. 1974 by Specialty Products, 2233 South 22 Street, LaCrosse, WI 54601):

20) An unnamed pioneer farmer and trader who lived about midway between Robertstown & Nacoochee, a distance of about 3 miles, buried $40,000 in gold coins near his home. He died while away on a business trip and the family was unable to locate his buried hoard.

26) The outlaw Cole Rogers buried $20,000 in gold coins in the vicinity of Tallulah Falls. (Note by poster: was this Rogers' Tallulah Bankhead? Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

While there are a few treasure leads in your area, my cross-reference index is not yet ready. I don't see anything in the immediate area of Greenwood.

Another source of leads is Robert Marx's Buried Treasure of the United States: How and Where to Locate Hidden Wealth, c. 1978 by David McKay Company, Inc., NY

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, very familiar with "96" battlefield, Star Fort is the name of the encampment, but is a national historic site....so no swinging coils there..lol.

http://www.nps.gov/nisi/index.htm

Todd

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yes the governments are locking down all the historic sites. You think if they really cared they would allow supervised hunts if you donate items they don't already have in their museams. It would by a win/win situation, but then the archies aren't about to give up any turf.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reference to Greenwood, there are several places in the Bradley/Troy area where there were old battles...and camps for E. Clark...I was researching them the other day on the net and saw a picture of Puckett Town Rd, almost from my driveway, showing an old Revolutionary War battle!!! So I guess I can go out my front door and swing?? Can't remember the website I was on but it would have had to be something about Revolutionary War Battles in SC...If you ever want to go MDing let me know, I got an old detector...?

sctoddc

Jan 4, 2010
Greenwood SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sackett said:
In reference to Greenwood, there are several places in the Bradley/Troy area where there were old battles...and camps for E. Clark...I was researching them the other day on the net and saw a picture of Puckett Town Rd, almost from my driveway, showing an old Revolutionary War battle!!! So I guess I can go out my front door and swing?? Can't remember the website I was on but it would have had to be something about Revolutionary War Battles in SC...If you ever want to go MDing let me know, I got an old detector...?

Might take you up on that offer Sackett, I live on the other end of the county from you; out by the lake. I'd love a chance to hit some old battle sites.

Todd

William123

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
Reinforcements marched 100 miles to join with other Patriots to suppress an expected attack by Tory’s that were raising cane in South Carolina. The spot picked to form a defense was a good one, Parker’s Ferry! The Patriots numbered 400 men, the Tories had 450 at their disposal. Some fast cavalry were sent out to draw the Tories into the trap. It worked and the Tory leader, Fraser was wounded by rifle fire. Even wounded Fraser ordered the Tories forward once again and was beaten back. The Tories retreated a beaten force, the Patriots did not follow up due to low ammo. Tory losses 100 men, the Patriots listed no losses for the day! This battle took place on August 31, 1781, still somehow I did see it listed as a British victory?

check out this site http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14012

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread