Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who works at a junkyard that has one hell of a collection of gold, silver, tons of old coins... glasses... a box of sunglasses... on and on... he searches every car that enters that he can... when I asked what the craziest thing found he answered an once of cocaine and a gun in the door of an impala... now get this... the car was from a police impound auction.

I got a friend that scraps cars, and they check the seats. You gotta be careful, sometimes a clip will hook ya. Amazing what falls out of cars when you shake it with an end loader.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn!! I have an old car sitting in my back yard.
A 1963 Mercury Comet... guess I should check it's gas tank.
I never had money to throw in the gas tank, but maybe the old guy who used to own it did...
Wouldn't that be something??!!??

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck I know of a straight 8 Desoto rotting in the woods Gonna go back and give it the once over, though I think it has been picked before.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought of picking it for parts or even just trim pieces etc? Vintage parts sometimes bring a pretty penny from restorers. Even if it just pays for the gas it's a plus!

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone here actually found coins in the gas tank of an old car?

No, but I remember an article in an old prospector magazine. This man was testing for gold along a creek and kept finding more and more old coins in his pan. He followed the trail of coins to an old 20's abandoned car that was well hidden by overgrowth. The gas tank had rusted through at a corner and was feeding the coins into the creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread