Look out for gas tanks of old abandoned cars

Myke_O

Jul 30, 2011
Chico, CA
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Micronta 3001
I was reading an article in Lost treasure magazine (June 1997), it was all about how some people use to put change in there gas tanks...... After they would fill up there tanks they would drop what was left over right down in there in hopes of saving for a new car. The theory was that once your tank got full of change you would have enough to buy a new car. So all you cache hunters out there keep your eyes on them old abandoned cars. there just might be a small fortune in the gas tank..... Hope this info helps someone with the find of there life.

best regards and happy hunting

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is good advice, Myke_O. You should know this was mentioned in one of Karl Von Mueller's Treasure Hunters Manuals, as well as Wizards. Sorry can't remember which.
Thanks again for the friendly reminder!

And welcome to T-net.

Exanimo!

The Gringo

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess this was done more in the 30's & early 40's

As back then Vehicles only cost $600 or so
for a new one.

Unfortunately most of those old cars are gone now.
Been at least 30 years since I'v seen vehicles
that old sitting in the Junk yards around here.

Still spites me with the old Horse drawn Hurses
& Model T's they refused to sell & instead let them
rot till they decided to send what was left to the Recyclers

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yea, now a days we put liquid gold in our tanks ! Frank

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The Gringo:

I remember "The Wizard" book advising to check the seat cushions of abandoned cars.

That was very frustrating book or two because the author would write things like "Then The Wizard told me how to search a house and make sure I didn't miss anything..." without simply quoting the advice. What good does it do the reader to learn the author knows something from The Wizard?

There were some good tips - such as the seat cushion wheeze - but those could have been much, much more useful.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the gas tank,but I've always had good luck with the glovebox.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the Von Mueller book #7, spring of 1987, I began employing those searches.

On one occassion that winter, while looking through the back seat of a big, long, Mercedes at a junkyard, I found a $100 in the crack of the back seat. I walked over to my dad who was searching for parts for his Toyota PU and said, " I think you need to look at that Mercedes with me". He replied that he didn't really like Mercedes. I discretely showed him the Ben Franklin and then he said, "but I might start". We both laughed as we pulled out another $80 or so in smaller bills from under seats.

I still have a Canadian $2 bill stuck in the book at page 46,47 as a fun reminder of that day with my dad.

He will have been gone 5 years Oct. 13...prostrate cancer. He was my first detecting buddy and got me started looking for silver in KY.
Miss him, but can't help but smile. We spent every day together we could, what more could you ask for?

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some where I have some coins found inside the doors of an old car body after it had set in the desert since world war two time frame, just a guess. There was no upholstery left and the coins were under dirt and rust inside the doors. I think that kids were playing with coins and had them fall through worn window seals.

I try to check every where in an old car but will admit I have never thought of inside gas tanks.

J.N.

vevogold

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2013
south east az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i remember when i was about 8 years old. My father had a friend john pushcar that died and he bought a 1970 gto that was his from his wife. he pulled the tank off it and cut it open and pulled 250 silver dollars out of it. he told me that john would put a few silver dollars down in the tank every time he filled up he still has all of them in tin foldgers cans till this day. so what are friend is saying here has truth to it.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver dollar used to fit into a gas tank hole?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use to work in a used car lot in my younger days. When a tradein came in the first thing I would do was pull the seats and collect the change. Drivers side had the most followed by the backseat. I could usually find tools in the trunks too. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

vevogold

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2013
south east az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at a 70 gto or lemans gas filler neck is is open all the way no plate with a small hole for the pump handle

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of ash trays, Pull the ones in the backseat arms & look down the panel like in chevy impalas. I've found small paper sacks with change & paper money a switchblade and a plastic bag of parsley (Yes officer it was parsley! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) Another spot is under the console edges and if it has the slide cover look under the back edge. Sometimes bills layed on the top get sucked under when the cover is slid back. Seems like I've found more goodies in 60s cars more then others. Anyone else notice this?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who works at a junkyard that has one hell of a collection of gold, silver, tons of old coins... glasses... a box of sunglasses... on and on... he searches every car that enters that he can... when I asked what the craziest thing found he answered an once of cocaine and a gun in the door of an impala... now get this... the car was from a police impound auction.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, putting any coins in a gas tank is by far the dumbest idea I've ever heard of.
in 1973 they went to unleaded gas and made the hole smaller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread