Sniffer XR71p Kit on eBay (Delta Pulse clone)... Anyone Build One??

nuggethuntr

Nov 5, 2004
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys...

I've been a lurker here for some time, but decided I might as well jump in and ask some questions.

Has anyone purchased the kit on eBay for the XR71p (ships from Bulgaria) and built the detector? If so, how were your results in testing and in the field? For those who don't know what this detector is it's a pretty close version of the Delta Pulse deep-seeking PI detector - and similar to the Maxi-Pulse (and Plus), and Pulse Star detectors that use a PVC frame (1 meter up) to support the coil wire... at a mere fraction of the cost - about $270. Of course, one has to assemble it and there would still be the added cost of building the large coil but that shouldn't be too much.

I know that Darren in NC built one of Gary's PI units with apparant success, but I think that kit needs to be built from the ground up – PC board and all. I don't know if I'm quite smart enough for that :)

The XR71p has the PC board assembled and tested and supposedly all one has to do is solder the knobs, etc. on and mount it all into the supplied control box. I think I could handle that. I'm just not sure how deep it actually goes and performs in the field.

I need a deep seeking detector to work a cornfield (for caches) that I found was a popular camping site for thousands of immigrants. I got permission from the landowner last spring and so far with the limited time I've been able to hunt (with crops and all) I've found several indications that this was a heavily travelled area - horseshoes, uncut musketballs, campfire rings, etc. I just don't know if the XR71p is the answer ie. worth the trouble to build. Oddly, the soil here has a lot of black sands in it, so I think 2-box units would be out (perhaps someone can correct me on that). I rented a magnetometer but it went wild. The rental place has no other detector to try.

I need to decide something soon as I’m running out of time. Planting season is just around the corner and I told the landowner I’d stay out once crops were in.

If nothing else, perhaps I can work out something with someone who owns a reliable deep seeking unit?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nugget hunter: Did u ever get a responce from anyone for the pulse detector? Was gonna maybe build one myself but didn't know which kit was the best or if some one would make one up for you. rwd mo

OP
OP
nuggethuntr

nuggethuntr

Nov 5, 2004
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi rwd mo,

So far, nothing.

I did find a couple of posts (I think in the GeoTech forum) that referenced the Sniffer XR71p kit, but those two people couldn't handle the project for one reason or another and were getting rid of the kit. This reinforces why I wondered if anyone had successfully built and used one from the kit.

One of my main concerns (other than whether it would work in my ground conditions) was that the kit had no warranty or guarantee (understandably) and it shipped from Bulgaria, so once I bought it - I was pretty much on my own. However, I recently discovered that there are several guys on the GeoTech forum who have built the XR71p from scratch, so for now I'm guessing that would be the best option if we have problems with the kit for some reason. My next step is to ask on GeoTech what one of these guys would charge to assemble the kit for electronically-challenged guys like us. At least this might ensure that things are put together correctly.

Whatever I find out, I'll post here for you (and any other interested parties :)

nuggethuntr

steaua581

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
Hello,
I have built the Delta Pulse also named Xr71 Sniffer. There is also another version a bit more powerfull wich is DBP2010. All above projects are besically the same...just have different freq and some mods.
Things you need to know before you start building such project. I personally researched for few months because of the information spread out on project forums.
Basically you need to know that precision components must be used 5% capacitors,1% resistors...even for some componets 0,1% tollerance.Reason being Amplification factor. Also need to know that you need to solder correctly ...use less heat on transistors since they go faulty quick,otherwise if you make short you mess some other componets and for shure you will give up.
I made my first Delta Pulse and it was a mess...then i made a second wich came out ok...And now i made a third from wich i learned a lot from previous faults. Its also needed an osciloscope so you can verify certain freq and an multimeter.
I detect with my Delta pulse a helmet size target at 1,50,1,60 Meter in air with 40cm coil.Coin at 35 cm. It is really powerfull and sensitive.A galvanic roof at 2,5m with same 40cm coil.You can build your own 1x1m 2x2m or greater coil. I am building a 1x1 coil right now. Also the wire used for coils must be magnet wire for good sens and good detection.
There is also the posibility to add discrimination to it. but it will work like on most detectors for few inches in ground correctly since there is no detector in the world to discriminate more then 50-60cm in ground...even if comercial claims are spectacular.And most PI"s out there are just copies of Delta Pulse/Sniffer Xr71...or based on same caracteristics.
So basically you can order a complete kit, or you can buy components separatelly and make own PCB but you need patience and some skill.
I am planing to enclose nicely my unit and meaby i will also sell some for the ones interested.
So if you decide for building your own i say go for it...its worth to give a try..
There are some who sold their Professional PI"s and remained with Delta Pulse wich does basically same as a 3000 USD unit...course if done corectly.
Do a search on youtube for delta pulse and see some nice work...

Regards
Marius

OP
OP
nuggethuntr

nuggethuntr

Nov 5, 2004
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Marius :)

Sounds like you "tamed the beast"!

From what I'm learning the XR71 is a pretty solid unit. I too, have seen a couple of places where people got rid of their high-dollar detectors and kept their XR71s.

I knew building one from scratch would be a bugger, would take a lot of time to figure out, and most likely would look like someone ran it through a combine (like your first attempt) - which is why I was interested in the kit (90% of it was done).

Anyone who builds one of these from scratch has my utmost respect :icon_thumleft:

It'd be interesting to see what results you get with your 1 x 1 coil...

nuggethuntr

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
these look pretty good,at the link but def not for a beginner,wonder if you could find a jobber
close to where you are,someone that has lost work load due to economy and new tech, like a
tv shop,the tv repair guy would have all needed equipment,and is schooled in reading schematics
and wiring harness ect.

http://md4u.ru/?page=pimd&lang=en

might want to move this here,you might get a little more response
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=87.0

steaua581

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
cw0909 said:
these look pretty good,at the link but def not for a beginner,wonder if you could find a jobber
close to where you are,someone that has lost work load due to economy and new tech, like a
tv shop,the tv repair guy would have all needed equipment,and is schooled in reading schematics
and wiring harness ect.

http://md4u.ru/?page=pimd&lang=en

might want to move this here,you might get a little more response
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=87.0

hello,
thats what i though too..when i wanted to build the Delta Pulse and i have contacted an electronist here in my country who was working as part time job at Tv repair shop . He build an Delta pulse for me but i had to open it myself and change all capacitors to 5% tollerance because he used 10% tollerance...also used wrong resistors he supposed to use metal film 0,25 watt. Also all IC"s must be a certain type to work in circut. So basically not everyone does such project unless he knows few basic things like the use of components on a Op Amp circuit. And how the amplification factor works. So i would say an repair man wich never did an project like this (just reading schematic) will not do it...and you will just spend money on useless project.
You should ask if they know how to use an osciloscope...and if they do and have one, might be a sign he has the knowlege to finish your project based on the oscilograms.
Also parts for such circuit are more expensive and harder to find because they are precision components...i had trouble myself finding some of them....just few supplyers have like mouser...etc...

regards
Marius

frank1fm

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sign13:Hello to everyone.I always visited this website but never joined.I am familiar with the Sniffer kit on ebay.Please bear in mind that I have never owned a metal detector until just recently.I am totally unbiased.After literally weeks and weeks and hours and hours on youtube I finally bought the Grizzly Twins IB and PI detector from Bulgaria.It is two detectors in one.Now I know everyone has their favorite detector,I didn't.I took a gamble and prayed it performed like the demo videos.I bought it for only one specific job,that's right,only one.There's a small cache of buried gold coins 90miles from where I live and to date no one has found them,in fact,I don't even know if any one has even looked for them or if someone has found them and kept it a secret.I've been to the area to verify the story and the historical record is correct.The cache is buried in less than 3ft. of soil.I didn't have thousands to spend on the high end PI detectors but needed something that I know would give a hit on a target up to 3ft. deep.I've only had it a week and have done only a few basic tests.It's been so windy and cold where I'm at that I always had to cut short the tests.Now this is very,very preliminary,but so far this detector has exceeded my expectations.I placed a few pennies in a round tin that is about 4inches in diameter.I buried the tin 3ft. deep on the beach at the Atlantic Ocean.I switched the detector to IB mode(inductive balance) with the large DD coil for IB and slowly swung the coil over the target.I got a very strong reading,very strong.I then changed the coil for PI mode(a different coil is needed) and swung it over the target.The detector went off like a firecracker.Very,very strong signal.It also came with a 3ft.X3ft. square frame for larger deeper targets which I haven't experimented with yet.I haven't gone detecting on the beach or woods yet.Am waiting for better weather.So all I can say now is that it performed for the reason I bought it.I'll let everyone know of it's maximum depths and the size of the targets soon.A break in the weather is coming so I'll be able to find out it's limits.

Claudius

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Adventis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salut Marius,
Could you let us know the test results with your home made XR-71/Delta Pulse ?
Frank answered for the wrong detector, here we do not discuss the Grizzly Twins.
Thanks
PS: I will send you a private message also.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get the Sniffer fully assembled/tested for around $300-$350. Comes with a five year warranty and sold as the Powerscan 2 Pro. You still have to make the coils but they are nothing like as difficult as making VLF coils.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have ordered one of these patially assembled kits.
Will tell you what I think of it in a few weeks time.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the kudos, nugget hunter. I used to make Gary's unit (it worked great), but he didn't want me to sell them. Now I make the Delta Pulse available to anyone who wants a deep-seeking unit.

This is for guys who don't want to:

1) Build it themselves via soldering and getting the components right (extremely hard to do even if you're proficient in electronics)
2) Figure out how to put a kit together and then make the coils with the correct gauges, turns of wire, etc
3) Who simply want a unit that works as good as Pulse Star II (or Lorenz) and HAS DISCRIMINATION (all PI discrim is limited, but it does work)
4) Who don't want to pay $2500-3000 for a unit

I sell the Delta Pulse/Sniffer XR71 model with added discrimination and a LCD screen for $475.00. It comes with a 1m x 1m loop and a 14 in smaller loop for smaller targets. Shoot me an email if I can help.

P1010081_800x600.JPG P1010092_800x600.JPG

Attachments

• P1010087_800x600.JPG
    P1010087_800x600.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 3,112

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The kit arrived and appears to be ok.
There were a couple of minor glitches with the kit in that there were no instructions on how or where to install the earphone /speaker bypass jack and the battery charge jack.

Also the supplied lead acid battery does not fit well in the control box and I may opt to attach the battery externally from a belt mount position.

There is also very little information re the making of the coils as far as wire size, inductance and ohmic resistance is concerned.

I have decided on a 28cm coil of 500 micro h. 0.315mm enameled copper wire and approx 4.5 ohms resistance. That should work out at approx 30 turns of wire.

This was not a problem for me but it would have been for somebody without electronic knowledge.

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
"I sell the Delta Pulse/Sniffer XR71 model with added discrimination and a LCD screen for $475.00. It comes with a 1m x 1m loop and a 14 in smaller loop for smaller targets. Shoot me an email if I can help."

Hey Darren. This is John and I contacted you months ago regarding the delta/sniffer you provide and told you that I had purchased one from bulgaria BEFORE I saw your post. Wish I would have seen your post before I bought the one from bulgaria because you provide the coils and electronic box. I just received the 3 detector boards sniffer xr-71, vandal pulse 2, and the crazy star. The sniffer I got is supposed to be the updated one and it has more controls than the one you produce. I want to know if maybe you are interested in a trade. The boards are all wrapped in plastic and come with instructions on producing the coils, etc. I do not want to bother with making these things because I am not experienced in electronics and it would be a headache. I am going to send you an email and see if we can work something out.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Daren,

Do you still sell the Pulse induction metal detector with the one meter coil?
What is your e-mail and mailing address as I want to buy one.
[email protected] 505-216-7557
Barton

amar

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I sell the Delta Pulse/Sniffer XR71 model with added discrimination and a LCD screen for $475.00. It comes with a 1m x 1m loop and a 14 in smaller loop for smaller targets. Shoot me an email if I can help."

Hey Darren. This is John and I contacted you months ago regarding the delta/sniffer you provide and told you that I had purchased one from bulgaria BEFORE I saw your post. Wish I would have seen your post before I bought the one from bulgaria because you provide the coils and electronic box. I just received the 3 detector boards sniffer xr-71, vandal pulse 2, and the crazy star. The sniffer I got is supposed to be the updated one and it has more controls than the one you produce. I want to know if maybe you are interested in a trade. The boards are all wrapped in plastic and come with instructions on producing the coils, etc. I do not want to bother with making these things because I am not experienced in electronics and it would be a headache. I am going to send you an email and see if we can work something out.
Aioria,

I purchase kts pulse ar iii from kts electronic all contents are provided but 1×1 meter PVC pipe without coil send by kts. Many time I mail to kts but not responding can you describe how to make 1×1meter coil for AR iii please Screenshot_20180409-150546.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread