i need help finding a gold coin cache

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go on Google Earth. Zoom in on the site as close as possible. Take a digital picture with the camera set on closeup of the picture on your monitor. Edit out the location information by cropping it. Don't mention where or what state it is in. Put the picture on the dowsing forum and ask for help. See if more than one dowser locates the same spot. Another suggestion is to try to get with some of the people on TN that have LRL's. These are two of the methods I am working with right now for some of my potential sites. This may or may not work but at least gives you something to go on. If you want more help PM me. I am no expert but I am getting smarter about all this. My guess is it is near the well. Make sure you have something in writing that gives you permission to be on the property searching/digging and that you have an agreed upon split if something were found. You also need to verify through legal documents who owns the property. It would suck to find something and then have it taken away.

Last edited:
K

Kentucky Kache

I think I know where this location is, but I won't post it.
Every landmark on the map is a good prospect for hiding a cache. About all anyone can tell you is, search everywhere, giving most attention to all the landmarks. Use a detector that scans deep (Two box, or large coil), and hunt in all-metal mode.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have somewhat reliable information that it "...was suppose to have buried it around his farm house", I would begin there. I would guess that the "found rocks" adjacent the fireplace would have been leveling blocks for the house itself.
If that does not work, or the previous suggestions do not work then I would use the following LRL sequence that has been tested and proven:

1) Hang your map on the wall
2) Take 20 paces backward
3) Throw dart at map
4) Dig a 15' deep hole in that location

If it happens to land on the septic drain field, repeat sequence above until found.

Good luck,

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ronoiler-As you can see by the above post from vor you will probably get some negative advice on here. There are many on here that only want to talk about treasure hunting instead of doing it and seem to be bothered by the ones that are trying. There is no easy answer to finding the gold you seek. If there was it may already be gone. I have been told that 99 out of 100 treasure stories are not even true. If you listen to the naysayers you might as well stay home and go on your computer and make fun of people actually doing things. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Last edited:

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, this is my favorite scenario! Home sites of long ago simply fascinate me!
First off, getting permission is top priority!
Once you've got the go ahead get online or to the library you'll need to find out all you can about the man. I all honesty, someone else might have lived there before him! Go to historicmapworks.com and look up the spot. Figure out the property lines. Don't forget to look for other property he might have owned!! You have searched there for a few years, but not enough!!! Could you mow the grass around the home? That would make it sweet? Most farmsites that I hunt are either in the woods or thick brush. That's tough!! Do a very extensive search for pictures on the net. Find the area on MyTopo.com most times a house or building will be indicated by a dot.
Don't stop researching!!! Have you dug in the cellar hole? Have you found anything there yet? If you atleast told us what state it's in then we could relate how farmers lived, farmed,survived in that area!! What is the soil like, grassy upland, soggy bottomland, arid desert? This would all matter and that's why putting the geographical location in your question is important! What does the fireplace look like? Is it stone & mortar or hydraulic concrete? Is it still standing? Is the fencepost singular or is there a line of them? Is the well up or downhill from the house?How big is the well? Where is the outhouse? What does the cellar look like? Is there rubble in it? Examine the "large maple" all the way up, is there anything sticking out of it, (metal hooks, chains, barbed wire)? Do any of the big trees have more branches on one side? Do they lean?
Stand at the site and try to picture what was there?
Keep asking questions, it will help, but try to include more details!
Good luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's your first shot. Everything on the map is normal except the bed rails. Note there exact location, move them out of detection range and run a 2 Box over the site. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,161

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doyle know how long ago they were buried? This could help you know what landmarks might have been there while the farmer lived there. Good luck!

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well just an old Scarecrow, but something with your diagram I see. You have a cellar in one spot, and a fireplace in another? Two buildings. Way way back, folks cooked in one building, to keep the heat out of the house in the summer. You may have something like that. Also if this was a farm, where are/were the out buildings? Like a barn, corn crib, pig pen, out house,etc.

Lots of paperwork digging will save you a lot of time and sweat in your search. I followed a similar story a while back, lucky I guess for me, it involved a murder. Yeah I know, but digging through old newspaper archives, I found that the story folks told placed the location a long long way from where it actually was located. Also dependent on where you are, look for old archive aerial survey photos. For me PennPilots was a score. I found photos from the early 1900's of the area I was searching. And there were shots of all the buildings at that time, that are now long gone. Wouldn't even know they were ever there now.

And ditto using the Dowsers, long story/ short version. My farm has been in the family since the 1700's. Always heard stories of "something" that was left there. I posted some shots of the area, and had a couple of places picked out by more then one Dowser. Ain't saying anymore on that one.:icon_thumleft:

A lot of the times a cache is left where it's out of the normal path, but close enough the owner can keep an eye on it.

Best of luck on your hunt.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ronoiler-As you can see by the above post from vor you will probably not get a lot of positive advice on here. There are many on here that only want to talk about treasure hunting instead of doing it and seem to be bothered by the ones that are trying. There is no easy answer to finding the gold you seek. If there was it may already be gone. I have been told that 99 out of 100 treasure stories are not even true. If you listen to the naysayers you might as well stay home and go on your computer and make fun of people actually doing things. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

The only clue given with the lead is that it was "buried it around his farmhouse" so that is the logical place to start. I guess the second part was a realistic view of what I feel the chances are if it is not found around the house. If the "buried around the house" is not true, then the story itself may fail.

BDD-Do not take everything as being negative. We sometimes have to look at reality and it may not be what some people want to hear.

In regards to the cellar I guess it depends on the location of the farm. Around my area, storm cellars were usually built away from the main house similar to the layout shown.

Best of luck to you and the OP in your searches.

HH

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
ronoiler, not too deep. It had to be where the cacher could get to it quickly to remove or add to. Probably on a straight line
with some object, which may still be there or not. The biggest cache I know of personally was beneath a fireplace. And a metal
box may have been used. Rusty iron boxes give off a good repeatable signal.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Have you checked the bed rails? I can't picture them laying out in the yard parallel for no reason. Remember they didn't have detectors, so they used markers that weren't obvious as markers. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,047

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You will need a powerful detector such as a PI, hopefully a large coil PI, that would go the deepest. A PI can only tell it is metal so dig it all. Most VLF type detectors wont go much deeper than 12 inches, Even 2 box coils detectors dont go very deep, ,and if it was a wooden box, most likely, the detector would only read the coins, not a huge mass, even though they are all together, just like a gold chain, it will only read the single link. I agree near the house, because it would most likely be where it could be seen. But many caches have been found away from the house, often way outback.

okie jack

Apr 3, 2012
locust grove oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White dfx and xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Here's your first shot. Everything on the map is normal except the bed rails. Note there exact location, move them out of detection range and run a 2 Box over the site. Frank

Frankn I bet those bed rails are there because someone is buried there . Down here were I live you see them all the time at old homesteads . Back in the 1800's and early 1900's when they would burry somebody they would take the bed rails and place it over the top of there body . I have like 5 of them within 2 miles of my house in the woods.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us think that a cache would be buried within eye site of the house, but that depends on who the cache was hidden from. It could be the man of the house, hiding the cache from his family, so it wouldnt be within site of the house. I think usually the cache is hidden in an out building, where it could be gotten to, without prying eyes. If it is buried out in the woods, then it would be much easier for someone to be spying on what was going on. Another thing, if its a cache that needs to be gotten to regularly, it wouldnt be in the woods, because it would leave a trail leading to it. Long time cache could be anywhere, near or further away. Older caches werent hidden, with the idea that someone would come along with a metal detector and find it.

But how did a black man, at the turn of the century have $3000 to bury, but didnt have time to tell the family, where it was buried? Did he die, between the hole and his house? It sounds funny, that they knew he buried the money, but he didnt tell anyone, so how did they know he buried it? Seems everyone dies before telling where they buried a fortune, but how did everyone know a fortune was buried? It makes good reading, but it also makes for a good myth.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it looks like a coin, but where did it come from? If your still looking for the cache, then that coin couldnt have come from that cache. What does it have to do with this cache?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ronoiler I would have the area dowed by one of the dowsers on this forum you would be 50% ahead of the game. jmho

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
send a map of the area where the cache and a detailed story to me and I will dowse it for you and see what i get. I am usually accurate within a few feet or so. Will have to use a LRL or two box detector from that point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread