Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The two trunks have never been recovered.
From diaries of those that were involved.
Most of this and other Florida CSA treasure stories are discussed in the LEGENDS section- Confederate Treasury and the Swamp gold threads, and in the KGC topic.
Many links to diaries are included on these threads.

Ok thanks! :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
As mentioned on a previous thread, Benjamin had a connection to Florida with his Benjamin cousins in Ocala and his cousin Yulee in Archer and Homosassa. Yulee Florida RR ended at Cedar Key, which the Union occupied after destroying the depot, docks, and capturing several blockade runner's boats.
John Taylor Wood's grandfather, Zachery Taylor, was commandant at Fort King, which became Ocala, during the Seminole War.
John C Breckinridge's sister, Letitia, married John Grattan Gamble.
They all had connections in Florida, and before they made their departure, they discussed their escape at Marshall's Whirehall Plantation in Abbeville, SC.
The Marshall's also had a plantation on the Ohlawaha River, east of Silver Springs, that supplied the Confederacy with various goods.
On March 10, 1865, the 3rd Union Colored Infantry marched through the forest (Ocala National Forest) from Fort Gates on the St Johns River, raided and looted the Marshall Plantation, crossed the river and burned the bridge, and looted and burned Holly's grist mill and farm, another supplier to the Confederacy.
It has been claimed that a cache of gold and silver coins and jewelry are buried somewhere on Marshall Plantation.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two trunks have never been recovered.
From diaries of those that were involved.
Most of this and other Florida CSA treasure stories are discussed in the LEGENDS section- Confederate Treasury and the Swamp gold threads, and in the KGC topic.
Many links to diaries are included on these threads.

Damn
Sure could use a Burma Shave.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are interested in the Davis baggage train
and the buried trucks that still remain
The current owner of Cottonwood is not too cool
He will call out the police on you
Should got that Burma Shave!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to see how much elevation was put over the old track sites...about 3 miles form the starting point is a large block tunnel-for the creek .the tracks are about 15 feet higher than this tunnel which probably had the tracks laid right over it....the date of the tunnel is on it and it was before the Civil war. Just so you know a fellow t-hunter from Georgia and I checked the whole distance and there is nothing there now...may have been, but not now. The device I use is very sensitive. Had written permission from some. Lots of small, natural gold in some of the rocks used for fill. Also plenty of hot rocks and micro gold.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beale...That was in a book that I purchased from Barnes & Noble. It was a book of different stories and this story is the only one in the book that had an "author's note" in it explaining what I mentioned earlier about him receiving this check from the treasure hunter.

I am continuing my search. I just love the history and mystery. If you come up with anything let me know.

LeJeuene
I do not believe in any stories that is published in Jameson books.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not about the Rev. War story about 13 wagons load of gold coins borrow from France, rob at Bates Tavern in East Granby, Ct. Total false.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread