Abandoned Colorado Cabins

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Are there any history buffs that could direct me to information on Colorado mining cabins. I found 3 small cabins last summer in the middle of nowhere. I detected there and found a small silver compact, which I posted on the forum. I also found 2 leather shoe soles with rusted nails in them. I found a porcelain looking knob that may have come from a dresser of some kind.

The cabins are really small. I can't stand straight up in the cabins and I don't know if erosion over time has built up the floor. But, you have to duck to get inside.

I found a round rock that was buried in the dirt and looked like it had been carved so that the outside of the rock was concave instead of round. Any thoughts on this?

I found this on the last day I was in Colorado, so I don't have a picture of the rock. But, I will try to get one when the weather is better. I will post pictures of the cabins later today.

My initial thoughts are the people that lived there left in a hurry. I know that there were some unfriendly Indian tribes in the area back then.

P

parttime_miner

The last indain wars were in 1880-1890..
In the 1800's, the average hieght was something like 5'5" so you may be on to something...

I would try to get approx age on compact, shoe sole, porcelin knob.

I have read that in the 1970's the forest service went through a lot of effort to chase people out of the old cabins and burn them down,
that could explain the last inhabitants leaving in a hurry...

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story...where are the pics?

What part of Colorado are you in?

OP
OP
P

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
I am having trouble uploading the pics. The pictures are 162 KB and max allowed to post is 128 KB. I will try to lower the resolution and repost the pics later.

OP
OP
P

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Ok, here they are.

Attachments

• Cabin2.JPG
    Cabin2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 3,388
  • Cabin3.JPG
    Cabin3.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 3,210

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Psarci
I live in Colorado. Here is a good site to look at regarding Colorado's ghost towns? ?www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/co.html . Perhaps you can locate where you were and find out more of the history of the area. It will also give you an idea of the construction of these cabins.
I have seen a lot of what was left of the mining cabins in the long ago mining camps. Not much left after all those years of harsh winters . Most of the cabins I have seen in the old camps were actual log cabins with logs running horizontally with the typical triangle roof shapes(if still standing).

Have fun- Colorado is fun in the summer
George

OP
OP
P

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Here are a couple of pictures of the compact that I found. It was buried about 12" deep and not far from one of the cabins. It looks like it may have once held a picture. This is my best find so far.

Attachments

• Compact 2.jpg
    Compact 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Compact 4.jpg
    Compact 4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,339

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Colorado was a gold and silver boom state. They had 17 gold mines in a one mile radious at one point. People came built homes panned for gold, gold dried up people split. I too found many abandoned cabins in the middle of nowhere in the rocky mountains. Good times to detect but bring a friend and be careful many unseen dangers

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The concave rock was probably used for grnding grain and coffee. They would lay the whole grain or coffee beans on one rock and and use another rock to grind it into meal or coffee grounds. I have seen many of these especially near old indian camps. If you look around you will probably find an almost rouind rock that was used as the grinder.JIM

OP
OP
P

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Thanks for the tips. Nick1878, what kind of unseen dangers have you encountered that I should be on the look out for?
Jim, good point about the coffee and grain grinding. However, I should have mentioned the rock is perpendicular with the ground. Almost as though it may be blocking a small entrance. When I go out there again, I am going to did around the rock and even see if I can pull it out. The best estimate of the rock's size is about the size of an 18-wheeler's tire or a bit smaller. Any thoughts?

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
You have the usual : snakes and wildlife, as well as neighbors or mountain men who dont take kindly to trespassers.

When we were there we went into an old area where the cabins belonged to the mine workers years and years ago abandoned now. ?We found booby traps pits dug all over and then camoflauged. ?As well as the deteriorating buildings themselves which could collapse at any time espsecially when you go around detecting the walls and poking around. ?

Take a good friend a gun if allowable and plenty of common sense, and you'll be fine

OP
OP
P

psarci

Dec 28, 2003
Fort Lauderdale
Does anyone have any links to websites that might have information on old compacts? I'm not sure that is the term for it. I looks like it may have once held a picture or mirror. I can't seem to find anything on the internet. I would appreciate any suggestions or keywords that might help in the search. Thanks again.

M

mercypa

Hi psarci.I just read the other day that a sears mail order catalogue from way back and in it are many items that the everyday person used.You may get lucky and find the pic in it.
Good Luck,
Doug

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
The Indiana Jones Movie Series had a basis you know. We are all adventurers at heart, but we are not all qualified to hunt some sites. Just look at the places that Tom Massie of Gold Fever goes into. He really needs to have his head examined, but he is also a lot more savie on what he does than the average detectorist. Even he says that it is DANGEROUS & he is right. Never let your excitement of a potential find over ride good common sense when hunting in the great outdoors. Spotz

S

SeaProbe

If the cabins are up near Gunnison or Montros in the Grand Mesa area you should take extreme caution.The story of the Escalante treasure is well known and I am far from the guy to ask about it. But I heard the entrance to the casche was set with traps and it had a stone door. It could be just a large matate which was used for grinding corn and grains but I would be careful. It would be a bummer to become a victim if the story was true. And if you got around that you may be rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread