civil war campsites

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would really think that unless it was a rear position, they would not be hiding any money -- Here in Georgia the lines were very fluid and if you consider that on Christmas of 1863 there were in Tenn and by Christmas of 1864 had marched through south to Atlanta , held up there and then went in Sept ( if my mind serves right ) left Atlanta and marched to Savannah ( about 300 miles, I do not think they were in one place very long,
Also this was a war and I doubt many would consider going back to PICK UP what they had left , They all ( either side ) just wanted it over and to go home.
Now a stash from a raided plantation might be a different story ,
I would look for " rear " positions , supply centers, railroad hubs, where those who were assigned there might hide stuff but as for " the infantry ground pounders " I don't think you would find any large hoards Good Luck

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I didn't read this anywhere but I came up with what I would have done. They generally had a campfire to cook food and stay warm. I would bury any valuables in case I was attacked or ambushed. I would build the fire over the top of the stash. It would be much harder to steal even amongst the guys with you. In the morning you put out the embers and dig up the goods. This would apply to cowboys or robbers traveling out west. If you find a campsite, dig where the campfire was. Just my own theory.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No modern Campfires Please ..LOL
Those beer Cans Turn into little nuggets of wanna- be Silver.
Good Luck

OverKill

Jul 4, 2009
Dunlap , Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would they really have carried much money at all with them,if any ,at the time of war?

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the only large amounts of gold carried by the infantry, was by the command for the purchase of goods needed should they get that chance. They commandeered what they could, but to feed the masses took money. It wasn't like today's supply lines that keep the troops fed. The common foot soldier as a whole probably kept less than their weeks pay in their pockets. Officers maybe a few hundred. All dead were scavenged by those who buried the dead. I suppose there is a possibility of the occasional unknown skirmish, were the dead may have went unnoticed and decade naturally in place. Just my 2 cents.

L.C.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread