Family Treasure - The usual NOOB question

May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I am new over here, please be gentle :laughing7:

I come from a hometown where the "old generation" would collect and hide their Gold in small olive oil tanks or towels and hide them in the surrounding land (to the old stone houses). 90% of those dead from old age never revealed their treasures which were lost forever.

I am pretty sure that there are tons of gold still hidden in the village waiting to be found. I am a noob in all this, used a metal detector once which I borrowed from a friend, but it was not gold specific. It was also a bit tricky to work with (some brand made in Australia).

Question which was asked lots of times, I am sure. Can you guys pls give me a quick guideline (out of experience... no worries, I know I can google to find "The best" but I prefer someone who experienced it) to what is the best GOLD detector I can buy from the market?

Conditions:
- Can work in a Rocky area;
- Can detect GOLD (not interested in other metals);
- The deepest possible it can go.

Appreciate it,
Danny

OP
OP
P
May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, they are like small 20 Liter square tanks used to store olive oil in them. Their material is the same thickness as the top of the Pepsi cans. Will take pics next time I am in town.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why limit you're self to just gold? Those cans could store lots of paper money and/or silver coins.

regnartoken

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Roseburg,Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD,Minelab Excaliber,Whites QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Minelab and they are from your neck of the woods.All detectors are tricky at first it does take time.I have a Minelab,Fisher,Garrets,and a Whites.My Fisher F75 ltd is my go to for all around.Sounds like your relic hunting and looking for clues so I would not go gold specific.Your budget dictates also.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
P
May 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only stored gold and jewelry back in the days, never silver or papermoney.
So guys, no recommendations?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want something to find gold, you want something to find the container the gold is hidden in.

But to the story of the treasures.... it's fairy tales. Everyone has stories of "grandpa hiding his money". Even if there ever was a cache, 90% of the time they were recovered by the owner or their family. 90% of the remaining caches are very small grocery money caches. There just aren't hardly any "life savings" type of caches. It takes a specific set of circumstances to leave a cache behind, and it doesn't happen often. All these piles of gold you think are there, simply aren't. Lastly, 20 liter tanks? That is HUGE! nobody, and I mean nobody is going to bury a handful of gold in a giant container like that.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he means 2 liter cans, they were used all over Europe which is where I think I

he is looking.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an LRL locator would work. *nods* I hear they can be pretty precise for looking just for gold. Might even be able to clue it into those oil casks to.

Maybe a more serious idea yes? Get a two box detector or maybe a GTI2500 Eagle Eye Treasure Hound. Expect to dig everything.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't want something to find gold, you want something to find the container the gold is hidden in.

But to the story of the treasures.... it's fairy tales. Everyone has stories of "grandpa hiding his money". Even if there ever was a cache, 90% of the time they were recovered by the owner or their family. 90% of the remaining caches are very small grocery money caches. There just aren't hardly any "life savings" type of caches. It takes a specific set of circumstances to leave a cache behind, and it doesn't happen often. All these piles of gold you think are there, simply aren't. Lastly, 20 liter tanks? That is HUGE! nobody, and I mean nobody is going to bury a handful of gold in a giant container like that.

Today absolutely all the private property in the United States is leased from the local political entity governing it.
From about 1930 the mid 60s it was absolutely unheard of for the lower middle-class to use a bank in most parts of Europe and much of the Southern and West United States

Most people had personally been burned by banks in prior experiences and the popular opinion amongst working-class people was that you were a fool to give your money to others for their personal use in the name of safekeeping.

There was a well warranted feeling of paranoia between the working class population and the wealthy who controlled basically everything, and the family homestead was the last bastion of absolute security

The term homestead was coined shortly after World War II and it referred to the absolute right of an individual to own his home without fear of it being taken through political or legal means
Today it exists only as a weak partial incentive to those experiencing financial difficulties in hopes that they do not completely abandon their debts altogether.

In that era Gold and silver was available abundantly in the circulating currency in many economies and even represented relatively small more common denominations.

It was very common in many parts of the world for people to burry their savings in the form of common gold and silver currencies in vessels like olive oil cans, and many many thousands of examples still exist while others have already been found

You will never find anyone logging onto tnet and posting that, "Today I found a 2 L olive jar full of gold and silver drachmas or American eagles with my AT pro."
I assure you the completely unreported equivalent happens often enough.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread