Cache recovery question

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Suppose some crazy was convinced that he knew the location, within 2500 square yards, where a well known cache was located. That's a couple hours of lazy detection. But, we all know the classic problem of land treasure hunters; its on someone else's property. So, an investment group might be conceived for the purchase of the property upon which it sits. The pitfalls of contacting current owner assumed to outweigh potential advantages, so please don't go there. What might a good plan consist of?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dress up in sheets and pretend to be ghosts to scare the owners and then make a low offer.

Murder the owner and force the widow to marry you (this one usually gets foiled by John Wayne or Gary Cooper).

Offer to share with the owner if it is found. It is his, by property rights, unless the cache can be claimed legally by someone else (bank heist, for instance).

Arrange for him to win an all expense paid cruise or European vacation - gives you two weeks to find it.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dress up in sheets and pretend to be ghosts to scare the owners and then make a low offer.

Been watching Scooby Doo again? :laughing7:

.................."and I'd have got away with it too, if it hadn't been for those darn kids"

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can probably arrange something with the tenant if you feel your information is good. Just don't give them that info. Otherwise you'll probably just have to wait until the area becomes available again.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Murder the owner and force the widow to marry you (this one usually gets foiled by John Wayne or Gary Cooper).

Offer to share with the owner if it is found. It is his, by property rights, unless the cache can be claimed legally by someone else (bank heist, for instance).

Arrange for him to win an all expense paid cruise or European vacation - gives you two weeks to find it.

:occasion14: Thanks mate, I needed a good laugh this morning!

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also wait until the owner went on vacation or took a trip and then go ahead and run your detector over the area in question. Make yourself a fairly accurate map of the area and mark any signals that you get by a numbering system on the map. Use 1 for the lowest likelyhood that the signal is what you are searching for, all the way to 5 (I just know it's what I'm looking for). This will give you something to then reflect upon later. The question then becomes, do you then throw caution to the wind and dig up what you believe to be the cache, or do you wait and think about how you can retrieve the cache another way. Something to remember if you choose to dig up a signal. Carefully cut the grass on 3 sides leaving the fourth side intact so that the grass will continue to live. If you remove something that then leaves a hole or depression you must replace the area to compensate for what you have removed or else it will be known that something was removed from the area. Now if you do find something you cannot let any one know that you did as all that you have done before here is very illegal. If you can live with this then happy hunting.

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
We've never seen a real recovery on this site. I thought I might get some serious replies and considered giving some other simple folk like myself a once in a lifetime opportunity by forming an investment group to purchase the property after a practical certainty is determined. However, for now I've only reached a virtual certainty (haven't been there yet). I am quite certain that I've solved a big one that I'm not yet prepared to identify out of fear of kindling renewed interest. All the known facts fell right into place with complete explanation of why it has not been found yet. My son is in favor of a surrepticious recovery. However, that would create other problems. I'm planning a trip later this year, for practical determination, and will be sure to hint at either success or failure as the case may be. We're a skeptical bunch, with good reason. This is my third hunt and I'm sure that I've finally hit it on the head this time. The first two hunts reached their practical conclusion, but without the prize. I'll consider how to get my message out when the time comes.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about exchanging some work for permission to search? What does the house look like? You can try "I noticed you could use new shingles, rain gutters etc etc." Depending on how sure you are there's actually something there & how big the value. A lot of people would put more value in fixing something than they would a cut of something they might not see a return on or don't really care all that much about some money, but care about something they can actually see. And either way they get the wife off their back about fixing the (pick one) project they've been putting off for years. And of course get it in writing you get to keep the recovery and have permission to search. Get to know the owner, find out what he needs or is interested in. Sometimes the indirect approach & a little psychology works better than a straight on approach!

Yes, this has worked for me a time or two. Luck to you!

Last edited:

johnny_5

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2015
connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm intrigued already! Good luck and im looking forward to hearing how all this pans out for you! keep us posted!
Happy hunting!

Johnny_5

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Suppose some crazy was convinced that he knew the location, within 2500 square yards, where a well known cache was located. That's a couple hours of lazy detection. But, we all know the classic problem of land treasure hunters; its on someone else's property. So, an investment group might be conceived for the purchase of the property upon which it sits. The pitfalls of contacting current owner assumed to outweigh potential advantages, so please don't go there. What might a good plan consist of?

so this 1/2 acre is for sale, does it have a house on it

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Good size piece of property much larger than 1/2 acre. What I said was that I know where it is within a half acre. Probably a commercial property unfenced, unpaved with easy access. I'll have no trouble conducting a survey unnoticed. Confirming my belief is the least of my worries. My on-line research indicates it is not presently for sale.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Have you thought about exchanging some work for permission to search? What does the house look like? You can try "I noticed you could use new shingles, rain gutters etc etc." Depending on how sure you are there's actually something there & how big the value. A lot of people would put more value in fixing something than they would a cut of something they might not see a return on or don't really care all that much about some money, but care about something they can actually see. And either way they get the wife off their back about fixing the (pick one) project they've been putting off for years. And of course get it in writing you get to keep the recovery and have permission to search. Get to know the owner, find out what he needs or is interested in. Sometimes the indirect approach & a little psychology works better than a straight on approach!

Yes, this has worked for me a time or two. Luck to you!
I like that.
You could tell them at the end of the day that you lost your wedding banc and that you've been looking for it with no luck, and you're going to use a metal detector to scan the area in hopes of finding it. :)

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lease the property for a year with an option to buy.tell them(the present owners) that you need to acquire property for a "future" commercial offering and "might" need to test the soil for construction purposes.wright the lease agreement so you have legal right to remove soil,rock,and any thing else in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread