Lost Louisiana Gold Mine, Cass AK

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Has this ever been found? It's near Mulberry Creek by Cass Arkansas.

Any of you guy's looking for it?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's no wonder nobody ever found the Lost Louisiana mine, its in Arkansas.

Hee. Good point. :D
The "District of Louisiana" used to stretch all the way to Canada...and covered modern day Arkansas.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I knew that but I just couldn't resist an easy lob. Besides this yarn is really not worth trashing.

skylark_75

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2013
queensland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been for years....that article is the most recent lead i've got. but what i want to know is where can i find that book that is mentioned. any thoughts?

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Skylark- to answer your message, I don't know anything more than I found the article through a Google Search, and thought I'd share it.

Good luck on the hunt!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been aware of the lost LA. And the mining stock sales, along with signs / symbols carved in a stone, about the size of a small house for about 20 years.

The stone is just off of a highway that is just north of Cass.
It's on private property and the last time I tried to get close to it,
I was told to stay away.

Local info is mostly rumors

I believe it is real...
IMHO.

#/;0) ~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some printed info about the mine share stock sales, somewhere. I'll try to find it next week again.
It may be in my laptop somewhere...

I also have a photo of the big rock that has the s/S carved in it, taken from the road. It's in my laptop somewhere.

I'll make a concentrated search for them once I recover from the bug that keeps me going in circles, presently.

#/;0{> ~

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I really can't picture pirates with a fleet of gold filled ships even thinking of going prospecting! I also can't picture there provisions lasting a year at that site. To many holes to fill on this tale. Frank

#39 silowett ship.jpg

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the "no pirates" part.
I'm more inclined to think French, from before the Louisiana Purchase.

As for provisions... plenty of water and wildlife for long term camp out.

#/;0) ~ (c)

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I agree with you,
I have floated the Mulberry a few times,
I don't see any size of ship making that far " up the creek"
But,There are many places along the way that will stir your "interests"
And,like Mikel said, plenty of places and wildlife for any size of encampment or journey.
-Weekender

minuteman2

Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Arkansas and never knew we ever had gold mines in the state.

I hate to chime in so late. But I lived along the Mulberry years ago. I rode and walked past those mines many times. They were full of water back then. My Dad and a lot of other guys would often tell me "they could put a fence around the state of Arkansas and Arkansas did not need the rest of the USA". They were proud of it, and it would have been on a license plate if they had their way. Kind of like the signs you use to see in almost all the old country stores. "we don't care how you did it up North" They were proud people. Simple but proud. Arkansas once was full of natural resources. But everyone else wanted them that's why most of them are gone. One more note the road that went by the mines at Cass was a County "Road" by that I mean it was dirt. I would have bet any one alive back in the day that that road would be the last road in Arkansas to be paved. Happy no one bet me. Use to haul hay up and down that road all day and pass maybe 7 people. Most of those were doing the same thing so they would get counted 2 or 3 times. Thanks! mm

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minuteman2.

Your post is not late at all. The subject is far from a solution.

When you lived there, that was a long road to nowhere and back. I can see how you believed that it would never get paved.

The wired restraints that control landslides there were necessary to pave it, and it was only paved to Byrd's RV park, as of my last trip a few years ago.

The gold that was being sought there was not ore. It was a cache of gold and other treasures. There were shares sold for speculation revenue, and stopped by court order because there was poor communication between the workers and the shareholders. Goodspeed's report mentions it in passing.

Have you seen the large boulder with the carvings. Headed east from hwy 23 it is on the south side of the paved road, just east of the first bridge. It is on private property. I was asked to refrain from crossing the fence so I couldn't get any good photos.

There is gold in Arkansas, but only placer deposits... Fifteen years of prospecting when I can go, has recovered enough t buy a new shovel if the price holds.

There is one missing mineral from Arkansas' resources. That is chrome, but I'm sure we could trade diamonds for that...

It's good to know that someone has driven that stretch of road before my time.

Happy hunting and be safe.

#/;0{>~

minuteman2

Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospector,
No I do not remember the large boulder with carvings. I seem to remember there were some signs or symbols at the Old Mines up on the hill. It was so long ago. There was talk back then that some fella from Spain came into the country and poked around and found a stone shoe. Took it to the mine and tripped something and the mines started to fill with water. They were pumping water out when I was there, but from what I had heard were not getting any where. A lot of water flows down the Mulberry.
Everything changes. Shoot I remember when the S turn at Fly Gap was so sharp you could pat your own butt as you went around it. The old Stave Mill was still in operation so the loggers who kept coming and going would keep rubbing the banks off as they went around it. If you saw a tractor trailer "I only saw one" Buddy he was in trouble. Not only was he lost but there was no where to turn around for miles.
I did not know about the Chrome, I always took the old guys for their word. We most likely didn't need it anyway.
Thanks for the like! I've been reading your posts for years. Good chatting with you.
PS I stumbled onto a site that looks promising. May ask you to write another book! I'll buy you another shovel! Thanks! mm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread