Research help needed

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You don't like stories how about first and second hand accounts from a trusted source? Sorry about
your wife. Same happened to me and I had to quit my Arizona prospecting. If someone you've known
over 40 years relates an incident you know is 90% factual with a slight chance of hyperbole wouldn't
you investigate. I have been on this site several times and never turned a shovel due to uncertainty
of ownership.

In fact I may turn my notes over to Old Buckaroo for a "story" about it.

Hi foiler. I'm wondering why do you assume there are very few cache hunters left? If you mean the big names that everybody knew about, I would agree, but I think there are more now than ever. I just don't think cache hunters are in the spotlight now. I think they avoid that like the plague, so there is no way that you can know "how many are left". And if you don't put much stock in "stories", well ................ that's what history is! I've been an historical researcher for over 40 years. I love stories. Take a "story", do the research, then determine what chance there is for a recovery, if the cache has a probability of reality. That IS cache hunting! If your talking about not putting much stock in stories from treasure books, then I would agree with you, but there are "other" types of stories. And yes, I can show you QUALITY leads that I found in historical books read in the "back room" of libraries. I can appreciate that you like to start with a dead body, but in reality, that's just the start of a story?

Here's a true example: My own grandmother lived next door to a couple in a rural setting. The old couple were like the stingiest most miserly people in the world ha ha. To give you an idea, there were two ways to drive into their lane from the highway. One way was about 50 yards shorter then the other. When the snow was deep, they would drive thru a foot of snow instead of taking the clearer route, because it would save gas driving 50 yards less. I swear this is true. You can't make this stuff up ha ha ha.

They never wanted to spend a penny, and hated "paper money". Nobody ever saw them spending hard coin, which everybody thought was strange. Even if they bought something for a nickel, they would use a dollar bill, and into their already full coin purse went the "hard money" that they got in change.

They had a HUGE fenced in garden, and spent half of every day working in it for many years. I was in grade school/high school. We played football in grandma's yard. Once in awhile our football would go over the chain link fence into their garden. They would come trotting out of the house screaming something like, "stay out of the garden"! Obviously they kept a close eye out the window on what was going on around the garden. They would grab the football and head back to the house. We would yell that we would go into the garden after dark if they didn't give us our football back. They would throw it back to us IMMEDIATELY. We use to always say that they must be hiding all their money in that garden.

They finally passed away within a couple weeks of each other. Their grown children IMMEDIATELY came and started scouring the garden. After a few days search they found jar after jar filled with ......................... well let your imagination work here. No wonder they loved to "work" in their garden!

Quite a "story" don't ya think?

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache hunting appeals to me more than any other form of treasure "finding". (1)research be it dead bodies, newspapers, stories, stage routes, etc. (2) boots on the ground. Fresh air, exercise, folks you meet, exploring this great land... (3)The finding. Be it trash (someone beat me to it), or the ultimate cache...whatever you do, pass it on to the next generation, whenever you can, tell the stories, we all benefit from the experience.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are treasure hunters in every state that search not only for single coins and jewel, but for buried treasures. Connecticut have too many treasure hunters searching for all three. Good hunting and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions