Bank Robbery History, State By State?

les

Jan 24, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Tr 66 Goldmaster,,Whites Tr Coinmaster 4,,Fisher 220x,,, WHITES 6000 DI SERIES 3,,WHITES 6000 DI series 2,,,Whites 6000d,,,whites Sl PRO,,, Whites XLT,, Whites dfx,, Quickdraw2,coinmaster 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone: I am trying to find a internet site that tells Bank Robbery history,State by State ,Town by Town, it seems impossible,, So far Ive had No luck, I was thinking maybe the Pinkerton files may have what im trying to find info on, im Looking for Robbery Info from the early 1900's,late 1800's, does anyone know a sight to find this info?
The Robbery im trying to find Info on,is a Bank which Had a full Saddlebag of gold coins hanging on a nail just inside the vault on the right hand side,the Bank was robbed at night after closing, the robbers were not caught,,,the Bag was taken in the robbery along with other things, the Bank was somewhat south of Illinois, I have hand written directions to find this Saddlebag that were gave to my GG father in 1911. Ive done some reasearch & the Farm it is suppose to be buried on was right where these directions say it was, the robbers were not from the area where the loot is buried, Im assuming the story I was told is true since, these guys Named the Farms name,, it was written on a Barn they passed,which is my starting point to find the Cache, I have Located the Barn,Just Curious what Bank it came from. How could I ever Find this info not knowing what town ,,,state,, it came from? I only know a saddlebag of gold was taken in the robbery,along with paper money & Silver coins, the robbery was done at night by a Locksmith, & they were not caught?
Les

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Les, if you have the name of the Barn as a starting point, then they were running FROM the scene of the crime...do you have any time reference...how long were they on the run before they buried the loot? Were they riding horses of a car? The bank was significantly south of Illinois...Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc...the clue to which direction they were running from is the Barn...look for the scene of the crime North of that...then East/West.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
If you have the name of the bank it would be as easy as looking at the insurence records for the period following the robery. It was usually the insurance company that got the pinkertons involved.
If the robery was never solved or the robbers caught the possibility of loot laying around to find is pretty remote as the bandits probably either split it up and went their seperate ways or partied it away somewhere. and as a result left no loot.

Just a thought.
OD

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Les,

Deathbed stories are so cool.

If the directions are good and landmarks still exist. Go for it.

It is always good to do the research but ..
it is the footwork that finds the treasure.

I try to save the research for the months when the wether won't let me near the places I want to hunt.LOL.

Give that set of directions a shot ,
Then email me and let me know what you found.
Pm me and I'll explain why
OD

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi Les,

Well lets look at this.

There were more than one man involved. And if he talked there might be a woman involved.

It is possible that it was already dug up by the other people involved. But that is a risk in any venture.

As for the bank and Pinkertons and old police records; shhhhhhhhh.... why let everyone know?

You have the directions and the information. That is all you really need. If you talk about it, guaranteed that someone will try and lay claim to it in the name of any reason they think they can get away with it.

Right now weather is bad in the Midwest. Heat, raining like crazy, and maybe some other things. Now is the time to get old maps from the time periods, and current maps and lay them over each other.

Also, before you start digging and appearing with a detector why not just visit the place as a tourist. Learn the lay of the land, learn the local people, learn the habits of the area.

When you search you want to be invisible. Arouse no curiosity and no questions. Go there and be a hiker or someone looking at property to buy. Blend in by being a frequent visitor so that people just don't give you a second look.

Once you are comfortable with the area then look to how to search it. Also think of how you will recover it and leave without notice. It will be heavy most likely. Work out with weights.

And no I don't have a criminal background even thought it might sound like it.

And don't make the mistake of trusting anyone there. If you want to be kind, just mail them a cashiers check long after you have found your treasure.

If you come up with a search pattern and be patient with a good machine I am sure you will find it if it is still there.

G.N.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Good advice GN.

Les just do it it's that field work time of year.

Gest of luck on your hunt.
come back and let us all know how you did.
Or at least email... LOL
Thom

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
If you have a timeframe for the robbery, it would not be a big deal to check major newspapers in the area for that time period. You should be able to get what you need on interlibrary loan at your local library. No way it's a waste of time, because you'll pick up more leads as you search the old newspapers!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread