NOT a church cache! :(

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
We have a small area of yard in front of my church. Being built in the thirties I figured I'd find SOMETHING. I found a button of some kind and a few clad coins. But then my detector (Ace 250) was going crazy over something large. So, I began digging with more curiousity than anything. My pastor said there had been a Civil War skirmish not far from the church and I thought perhaps I found something from that. Maybe, by coincidence, one of the two armies had camped out RIGHT HERE! So, I dug and dug and BAM! It was some sort of can. I widened the hole the whole time trying to figure out two things: First, why was this can is such good codition? And Second, it's still got the paint on it. What?

After pulling it up, I saw it was secured by clear tape and I knew then it wasn't old. But still... When I opened it up I found toys, misc. items, pictures, church pamphlets, and so on. I had dug up a time capsule that had been buried about 3 to 4 years ago. I presented it to my pastor and he was like, "I need you to re-bury that. I had forgotten all about that thing!"

I was disappointed, but it had been fun to dig up; not knowing what it was. I'm hoping I can find a real cache someday. My grandfather owns a family farm that his grandfather bought from the current resident in 1816. I found a couple neat things, but nothing that would retire me from my job. I have hope. And I'll still be looking.

Cheers! 8)

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Sorry it wasn't something more, but atleast for that excavation time you had a million thoughts running through your mind of what it "could" be ;)

Besides, it wasn't a lost cause.... you helped remind the Pastor of it ;D

....and there's always "next time"....

Smitty

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yep! It WAS rather exciting! On the bright side, the thought of finding a bullet or something from the fabled skirmish that supposedly took place near the church has me doing research on the area. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten anything other than finding out a particular raod does, in fact, exist as well as the hill I was told about. Maybe there's something to it? ;)

As for finding a cache...better luck next time, I guess. :P

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hmmm...You know? Since you put it like that...I guess I DID find a cache, huh? ;D Never thought of it like that. Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread