AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not an avid follower of this or any other cache legend, but do follow most of them out of curiosity.

I recently saw a video, where the guy claimed he had two pictures of the box Fenn "buried" - one taken when the chase was first announced, the other posted more recently on some Fenn site.
However,using zoom techniques, it looked liked the box had aged / weathered considerably - his conclusion is that Fenn had retrieved the box from its location??

The other story I saw was a guy "solved" the clues only to find an empty hole (10x10x5) under a tree with a blaze cut into it?

My curiosity question is - does everyone still think its there?

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an avid follower of this or any other cache legend, but do follow most of them out of curiosity.

I recently saw a video, where the guy claimed he had two pictures of the box Fenn "buried" - one taken when the chase was first announced, the other posted more recently on some Fenn site.
However,using zoom techniques, it looked liked the box had aged / weathered considerably - his conclusion is that Fenn had retrieved the box from its location??

The other story I saw was a guy "solved" the clues only to find an empty hole (10x10x5) under a tree with a blaze cut into it?

My curiosity question is - does everyone still think its there?

If the story was true (Fenns story) then someone probably found it and said nothing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been slowly selling the contents on Ebay for two years now. :skullflag:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

There is certainly an element of logic to this. The key would be tracking down the provenance of both pictures. If Fenn retrieved the box, why would he take a picture of it and allow it to get posted to the Internet? And if he did all that, why wouldn't he put his name on it and own it?

I find this to be a bit more shifty. Who, after solving a series of clues, would dig a hole that small and that precise? Doing that means that you probably struck the box with the first thrust of the shovel, and then removed it with the forensic precision of an archaeologist. That's not how most people would dig up a treasure chest. Also, how long would a hole like that remain after something was removed from it? General weathering would probably start filling it in almost immediately. So unless the guy who claims he found the hole was only a day or two behind the person who dug it up I'd be leery of the claim. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are lot's of people who created fake locations to make people think the treasure has been found. It may help them by diverting other searchers, and it's also a bit of mischief people can engage in for sadistic pleasure.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the video claiming two pictures show the chest had aged...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
This is the video claiming two pictures show the chest had aged...

I watched the video, and while it's possible Fenn retrieved the box there is no way that can be determined by examining two pictures. Changes in the color of patina or any other surface will be affected by the lighting, exposure time, exposure speed, etc. We don't even know if it is the same camera that took both pictures. All of the above can significantly affect the images. And considering that people have died while looking for the treasure, what would it say about Forrest Fenn if he retrieved the box--thereby ending any chance of someone finding the treasure, and not make that information public? Does he personally benefit more by keeping that information secret, or does he benefit more by making it public? Sure, people would have been disappointed if he announced that because people were dying he retrieved the chest so no one else would die searching for it. But people would have also understood, and the majority of them would have supported him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread