CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking with a Hispanic worker on my job site today. He was asking questions about my Equinox. He told me he needs a good detector for Mexico. Then he told me about the Cristero War. Apparently it was common for Christians to bury their gold and silver coins during the Cristero War. I never knew about this war but apparently 90,000 people died in the conflict between 1926-1929. Nearly wiped out all the priests in Mexico.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was speaking with a Hispanic worker on my job site today. He was asking questions about my Equinox. He told me he needs a good detector for Mexico. Then he told me about the Cristero War. Apparently it was common for Christians to bury their gold and silver coins during the Cristero War. I never knew about this war but apparently 90,000 people died in the conflict between 1926-1929. Nearly wiped out all the priests in Mexico.

Calles sought to eliminate the power of the Catholic Church and all organizations which were affiliated with it as an institution, and suppress popular religious celebrations in local communities. The massive, popular rural uprising was tacitly supported by the Church hierarchy and it was also aided by urban Catholic supporters. US Ambassador Dwight W. Morrow brokered negotiations between the Calles government and the Church. The government made some concessions, the Church withdrew its support for the Cristero fighters and the conflict ended in 1929. It can be seen as a major event in the struggle between Church and State which dates back to the 19th century with the War of Reform, but it can also be interpreted as the last major peasant uprising in Mexico following the end of the military phase of the Mexican Revolution in 1920.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would imagine that in the rural areas farmers wouldn’t have had much to bury. Money was something that ranchers were likely to have.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend from Mexico told of his Grandfather hiding a belt of pesos in a hurry.
He tried to recover them later when things quieted down but in his haste to hide them he did not note the exact location well enough...

One of the few tales that stuck with me as possible......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread