May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the house has a concrete foundation with tile laid directly over it,
the best thing you could do is go buy some new tile and a couple bags
of concrete.

Then, get a sledgehammer and bust that floor out and find your treasure. If you
don't find it, then you're going to need that tile and concrete.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could use gpr but I might be cheaper to just do a remodel like dd said. Welcome to the site and I hope you find your treasure.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard zad21! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might also consider posting this request on GENERAL DISCUSSION for more exposure...

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of soil do you have? You could dig a tunnel like they do in Vietnam under the house. Brace it up as you dig like you would in a mine. And once your done then finish up with a floor and you have a good storm shelter. I know you will laugh at this but my grandpa had a hand dug basement in his house in Washington state when I was a kid. It can be done. Time would be your only delay.

OP
OP
Z

zad21

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the suggestions, I understand demo and digging maybe the cheapest and most reliable option. However, house is pretty big and we are not certain on location and depth.
Would like to know what options do I have for a non intrusive scan. Seabees mentored GPR what would be an entry level equipment. ? Is there another type I can use?

I am researching and there is too many equipments claiming things which I find sceptical.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything cheap or less expensive would pick up the rebar in the floor so you would need to have approximate location and depth then look for a void. I'm afraid there may not be a reliable option that doesn't include labor or monetary expense.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be reluctant to even begin a demolition.

Who hid it ,and when? IF anything is still there.

A cache needs access to retrieve. Fire,flood,tornado, occupant leaving in a hurry ect..

Buried under a house could have many meanings. That's where the who and how come in.
A drain , a pipe ,a false floor in a closet or under a cabinet ,stairwell, under a stove....Or who knows?
Even in a wall.
Could be a loose tile under something. Or a tile secured with caulking instead of grout.
If removed/replaced often it could be stained lightly on edges from skin oil.

Lots of ways to hide something. But access usually factors. Being un noticed and discreet getting in or out of a cache in a hurry is a bonus.

A non destructive method of sounding the floor might help if the environment is quiet enough.
A padded on the floor end piece of 2x4 and a mallet or light sledge to tap tap tap listening for a hollow sound.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
A cache needs access to retrieve. Fire,flood,tornado, occupant leaving in a hurry ect..

I agree here. Before I went destructive, I would want to know why someone would bury a cache in a house, under ground, cover it with concrete, and then lay a tile floor on top of it. That sounds more like what you do when you are getting rid of a body, than hiding gold you presumably want to benefit from at a later date.

OP
OP
Z

zad21

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kingskid1611 - I understand there will be a monetary expense, in that case what would be a reliable equipment.
relevenatchair & MiddenMonster - I am positive there is no Access, chamber or hollow, hidden section as we built this new house ( with 3-4inch concerete floor) where an old structure was in place, now there is speculation that some gold may be buried in the ground under it, and want to know what is the best, economical and reliable method to validate at the least.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
kingskid1611 - I understand there will be a monetary expense, in that case what would be a reliable equipment.
relevenatchair & MiddenMonster - I am positive there is no Access, chamber or hollow, hidden section as we built this new house ( with 3-4inch concerete floor) where an old structure was in place, now there is speculation that some gold may be buried in the ground under it, and want to know what is the best, economical and reliable method to validate at the least.

Just weigh everything before you destroy something. Consider the cost in money, time and life disruption vs. the chances there is really gold under the floor. Out of all the treasure legends that ever existed, perhaps one out of a thousand are true. Probably a lot less. So in terms of logic, you have to construct a rationale that takes you from an optimistic .001% to the minimum threshold % you believe it to be worth tearing up a floor in a house and then digging. And most important, remember that, "Husband digs up floor in house looking for gold; wife very upset." is Sitcom Plot #43.

OP
OP
Z

zad21

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So based on the feedback so far - none of the options seem viable except for #4 :)

Option 1) Scan with a GPR (not sure which one, or how much that cost would be )
Option 2) Dig randomly through a 4000 sq feet concerete flooring...
Option 3) ....
Option 4) Let it be

I was hoping we could use some metal detection method, I am researching on the web, and in addition to the LVL or PI detectors, I came accross these
1) PRO Accumaster VII geological gold detector, voids located.
2) GER-DETECT-Professional-Geolocator-Underground

Looking to get some views on the legitmacy of these devices and advise from you pros.

Thansk

Last edited by a moderator:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

The "best" method is research .
Only until proven fact (vs speculation) ensures odds you can afford , no digging or demolition.

I understand the desire to recover a possible cache. (!) And how far speculation can be chased....
I found a rainbows end once with good information. It was not pretty. The information was not the fault.

Many leads odds get thinner with more research. Many.
Research through fact finding to prove to yourself that it is worth the effort and expense.Success depends on it.

Equipment varies with recoveries.
Start with your head.
Success is desired for you. Looking at a demolished floor with no recovery.... Is not.

How would you bury gold under a floor?
When kingskid suggests a tunnel in an earlier post ,why would he?
Remember recovery for who ever cached it.
Digging three feet under a corner of the floor from outside the building would be easier. ?
An already (deliberately) low spot like a cellar or storm shelter or?

We can't see the site from here.
Corners are easy to find. Even at night when less eyes are around. What else is?

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the house has a concrete foundation with tile laid directly over it,
the best thing you could do is go buy some new tile and a couple bags
of concrete.

Then, get a sledgehammer and bust that floor out and find your treasure. If you
don't find it, then you're going to need that tile and concrete.
How large of an area is covered with tile? If you chipped out the tile it might reveal a patch in the concrete plain as day. Think, what better way to hide a patch than laying tile over it. When done retile it if required. Have you taken some bright work lights down and carefully looked for cracks in the tile or grout? Set the lights low shining out across the surface to highlight details. If something was buried and the soil wasn't compacted it would sink. Sometimes old school tools like eyeballs work best with less cost. Another trick is to spread chalk from chalk line refills and sweep to make the cracks etc. show up better.

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can pinpoint with my locator for gold first and use my ezrad gpr to see it and how deep.

OP
OP
Z

zad21

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joska- what locator you would use to detect thorough tile and concerete ?

OP
OP
Z

zad21

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s locator would you use in this case ?

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a special locator for gold only and I use it any where land or water and I have a GPR that is very easy to scan anywhere land or water.What state you live in ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions