The Ashley Gang, Palm Beach/St.Lucie County FL

May 30, 2020
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I was surprised to not find more leads or searches on the forums for these caches supposedly hidden around Hobe Sound and Stuart. Ive gotten ahold of the county sheriff records from 1920s, mentioning the destruction of their still sites with round about locs. Just trying to find out if anyone else has ventured out into the small plots of undeveloped land around Hobe Sound and had any luck before I brave the mosquito thickets myself! :icon_salut::icon_salut:

Happy Hunting!

- Jonny

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I was surprised to not find more leads or searches on the forums for these caches supposedly hidden around Hobe Sound and Stuart. Ive gotten ahold of the county sheriff records from 1920s, mentioning the destruction of their still sites with round about locs. Just trying to find out if anyone else has ventured out into the small plots of undeveloped land around Hobe Sound and had any luck before I brave the mosquito thickets myself!

Since a lot of his caches would have been made up of bank robbery money--i.e. paper cash, what condition do you think they would be in after being buried for a century? Good luck finding them, but given the climate and sogginess of Florida I think you'd probably be more likely to find an old pirate treasure cache than something John Ashley buried. But if you are going to search for them, I'd say your best bet would be to search in places that are within eyesight of his hideouts and where he lived. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would travel 50 miles to hide money that he couldn't keep his eyes on.

OP
OP
T
May 30, 2020
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in agreement with the paper currency however, silver and gold was still used back then. The first time he robbed the Stuart bank he reportedly made off with gold and silver. Between banks, trains, rum-running and looting, it couldn't all be paper currency. :3barsgold:thank you for the tips though!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Im in agreement with the paper currency however, silver and gold was still used back then. The first time he robbed the Stuart bank he reportedly made off with gold and silver. Between banks, trains, rum-running and looting, it couldn't all be paper currency.

If he made off with coin, that could definitely still be out there waiting to be found. But there is also a commonality across the criminal spectrum that is pretty much a constant: They lived for the high life. Women, whisky and song. They weren't known for putting away a nest egg for when they retired. At best, they might have stashed some money around in various places so they had something to live on when they moved from place to place. The criminal that sets a goal and then retires when they reach it is a rarity, except in movies as a plot device. In fact, that could be said for a large part of the population at large. A friend of mine told me he believes that for most people, money burns a hole in their pocket no matter how much or how little of it they have. That said, if Ashley did stash money somewhere I still think it would be within eyesight of his hideouts and residences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread