Uncle buried $10,000 in mason jar

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
First off what I would do to find this is see who owns the building now and buy it. My late uncle Rick bought this lumber building for $5000.00 not just to live in but this was his store "garage sale". He was a buyer and seller of everything he could turn a buck with and a real straight shooter when making deals. His specialty was knives, guns, toys and lunch boxes. The money he got from his profits went into mason jars because he never did believe in banks and would bury these jars not outside his building but inside it. Whenever he put one in the ground he marked it with a stick or a toothpick sticking above it. As far as I know he had maybe two jars one that I personally hid for him before I enlisted in the Air Force (of course I showed him where it was hidden and he agreed it was a good spot). He moved his jars alot, but all the building he was doing inside of his place he was running out of room to bury it in dirt. As far as I know the one I buried is still there. I went back on leave before the deployment I'm on now to look for it and alot changes in 12 years. The building was packed with junk (I mean junk like enough Christmas stuff to decorate a large town), but needless to say I didn't look long because last I heard my other uncle bought the place and didn't know if he still had it. I made a quick search of the northwest corner of the building in the machine room there where I buried and last seen the jar between the wall and foundation. There was way to much stuff to get to his other hiding places plus the wife was with me waiting in the truck. I had my turn time to pass the torch to someone else, because I don't think I'll be up that way in awhile. Being that I got orders now in Nellis AFB NV it is just to damn far to go. Now why am I telling you this, well first off this is a treasure net forum and it's always exciting to read about "real" buried treasure without having to use your imagination to see turtles or dogs or wonder way hippies stacked rocks that way off the side of a trail and someone comes along thinking they are Spanish trial markers. I would be happy to hear about someone finding this jar "legally of course" and share your story here with pics. Hearing stories like this gets my blood pumping and anticipating the hunt. I
My uncle had his first stroke when I was in basic training 5 months after buried his jar and moved out. Five years later got word that he had passed away at one of his auctions (he loved his auctions) the home brought him to. I know he never told anyone about where he kept his money except me because he trusted his brothers and sisters like he trusted banks and his first stroke he had was bad enough he couldn't talk. Here is the GPS coordinates from google earth just 46 54'16.87"N 95 21'15.47"W. The building is about 7 miles west of Osage MN and it is right off the road. Good luck and like I said if anyone finds it post it.

Thanks D

SONICMASD

Greenie
Jan 9, 2008
PHX, AZ / LISBON, PORTUGAL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
thanks for posting this, im sure you're going to get a billion people commenting on how this is made up and ridiculous but hey, i wont be one of them.

good luck to anyone if it actually does exist.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SONICMASD said:
im sure you're going to get a billion people commenting on how this is made up and ridiculous

No it won't happen on TreasureNet.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try the local paper

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
local tax rolls will list the current owner of said land.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SONICMASD said:
thanks for posting this, im sure you're going to get a billion people commenting on how this is made up and ridiculous but hey, i wont be one of them.

good luck to anyone if it actually does exist.

Nothing ridicules about it.

I once had to investigate a the claim of a person who hid 10 grand in a Crown Royal bag and hid it in his bedding in his hotel room while he was out of the room.

The bag and the money was later found intact in the middle of a very large pile of dirty laundry.

People do some really strange things with their cash.

OP
OP
05Duramax

05Duramax

Jan 6, 2008
ALASKA
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD, Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag (camo), GARRETT PRO POINTER
Treasure tales,

My late uncle's name is Richard Walter Johnson buried outside of Wadena MN (can't remember the year maybe 1999). Hope this helps I think I remember seeing an obituary somewhere. As to if anyone has ever found it I highly doubt it. The only one I ever told about this has been my mother and she's not into looking for buried caches.

Good luck D

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
This is like scary! I have been past that building at least 500 times!!! Lived in the area most of my life!! I stopped there on more than one occassion. I was/am a proffessional horder/collector/scrounger since high school, and visited every 2nd hand or junk shop in two state area. I also attended auctions for years buying junk. I am only now starting to get rid of most of it. To much of it, tired of it, and like this hobby better. It was in the 60's I first went past that building, on way to SD with my dad to bale straw. I remember when it was a lumber yard. Some years ago, I remember a for sale sign there. Thougt it would be great to buy, and keep it as a 2nd hand shop,and place to sell trucks and tractors. But to far from employment locations.

Well come spring, I will investigate the issue, if some 4 dozen people havent beat me to it, after reading this. If some relatives get wind of this posting, I am sure there will be a parade of hunters there. Especially these days of hard times. Perhaps there will have to be traffic control set up there. LOL. Love this hobby.

K

Kentucky Kache

I think I would have contacted someone in the area to partner up with. You provide the lead in exchange for their leg work. Of course you can get taken by dishonest hunters (It's happened to me right here on T'net), but sometimes you have to take chances. I hope someone finds this before the gold rush starts.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WOW.....wish I could find something like that! I'm not sure why you don't go back at some later date instead of putting this on T-Net. ??? Good luck to whomever finds that great treasure!

HH,
Moon

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Active: Jul 07, 2008, 10:42:48 AM

Lethal

Sep 12, 2008
Just seen this and does any one know if any one has been there to look around. I live a hour away from Wadena so maybe I'll be going soon.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor property owners getting bombarded with folks asking to MD the property--will likely eventually figure out that SOMETHING is fishy.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
05Duramax

Last Active: Jul 07, 2008, 10:42:48 AM

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Poor property owners getting bombarded with folks asking to MD the property--will likely eventually figure out that SOMETHING is fishy.

I'm quoting MYSELF here--my first idea was so good! :D :tard:

Great way to get even with a neighbor that you hate. ;D Gotta keep that one in mind...

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
I just got back on T Net a couple days ago, since my last visit sometime last winter. I had so many plans for summer of 2008, that just didnt happen. I wanted to do a lot of detecting, and it just didnt happen. Between getting hurt on a scrap iron job, and trying to make a living, dont think i got out twice. Fortunes of a bad economy. I had wanted to get to S Minn to check around my boyhood home, and hunt this old lumber yard. I even asked my son to go with me, and his doubts about the story I related to him about this lead, was evident in his fall to the floor in grips of laughter. I took that as a "no" to go with me.

But I really hope I can get to do some serious detecting this spring and summer. I will check into this lead, as I am only about 1/2 hour from this site. If you are near me, and would like to check this out with me, I invite your emails on same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread