Are You a Treasure hunter or Metal detectorist, or ????

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Someone asked me over the weekend what is the best way to describe what I do. He made me think... I do a TON of treasure hunting and I do a bit of metal detecting....But my answer was " I would consider myself a Treasure Historian ". I said this because, I LOVE the stories, and am a avid collector of anything old and about Southern California ( especially old books, manuscripts etc... ). Don't get me wrong, I love to metal detect, but I REALLY love going to the old sites and exploring the area's that the pioneers have lived. To see where they were, and try to examine how they got by, is simply AMAZING to me...Please understand if there is something shiny on the ground it will most likely be in my pocket ;D ;D We have it soooo much better then they did, I mean, there would be no way my big behind would walk or ride from one state to another... I didn't see any memory foam in those saddles !?!? Did you ??? Just imagine if we were able to bring back just one old timer to today. Tell him we are going up to Holcomb Valley and we will be there in about 2 hours. Oh and when we hunt the placer we have a machine that will do it for us... And if you like maybe we will just " fly " there and get there faster...I would love to see the expression on the old goats face ( and make sure he doesn't have any firearms with him ) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way or am I the only one. Or is there another name that you would use for what you do ? If you could please let me know...

Thx
PLL

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Pegleg,

You are a gentlemen and a scholar. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Guys.... How's this for a logo.... The tagline could be " we are always the cooolest " ;D ;D ;D and I could add some detectors to the penquins ROFL!!!!!

PLL

thist2.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
" I am a studier of the past" -- that likes to find cool old stuff -- and finding the odd bit of treasure now and then never hurts huh?

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
" I am a studier of the past" -- that likes to find cool old stuff -- and finding the odd bit of treasure now and then never hurts huh?
I'll second that!!!!

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hit the nail on the head. I think I am one of the few that would rather dig up a worn coin with a hole in it than an UNC one of same year. Why? The history in it, who had it, where it's been, who touched it, how it got there. That is what its all about.

I have also thought what it would be like to pull into an 1860's town in my truck or jeep with the drywasher in back. Can you imagine what they would be thinking?

Probably get shot on sight.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nope they be wondering where do you think you were gonna get the "gas" to that contraption ---since "gas" hadn't be hear of yet.--- gas station whats a gas station ?---we got a pony express station

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta say explorer. Exploring history antiques collectibles etc. Just use tools (detector,prospecting equipment).

As PegLeg says about bringing back an ole timer would be a fun thing, if the guy didn't have a heartattack first. Could you imagine trying to explain how an aero plane with 60 or 70 people manages to stay in the air without the use of witchcraft? :D :D :D

One thing I always look in amazement at, is how these ole timers accomplished soo much with "primitive tools"?!?!
Look at us today we have state of the art tools computers robots etc. etc. Yet look at the cruddy products we make today :o I'd like to see how many of the houses and especially furniture made today is still around in 100 - 200 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread