Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I was out on San Timoteo Canyon yesterday and found a coooolll place to detect. I'm looking for 1 or 2 people to go out with, I am off on Mon or Tues ( 8/31 9/1 ). If anyone would like to go just let me know. Here are some pixs of the farmhouse...

Enjoy
PLL

farm1.jpg

farm4.jpg

farm5.jpg

SanTim 059.jpg

S

stefen

Re: Help Needed w/Farmhouse

Its 104 in Orange today at noon...I can imagine the temp at the farmhouse...in the teens...

Personally, I'm interested, however I'm willing to wait til it cools off a tad.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Help Needed w/Farmhouse

Hey Stefen,
I thought I would " test " your heat issue and........ you win !!!! LOL !!!! I went out early today to try to beat the heat. At 11AM it was HOTTTTT!!!!! I still wanted to try to get to the Indians ruins nearby. I found a back way in and after driving around about 5 trails and getting a " lay " of the land I went to the ruins. From up top of one of the trails, I thought I saw a old mine entrance and headed for it..... Well when I got there it was a fallen tree that from far away looked like a mine #$$%%$##@ !!!! It was really starting to get hot and I knew if I didn't get back to the truck I might be in REAL danger, so I headed back. I was pretty wiped out by the time I got back, but went to the nearest place to get some water and rest and all's well... I did find another old farm ( there are 3 in the area ) and a old hotel as well. Her are some pixs of the " stuffs " .....

Enjoy
PLL

SanTim 092.jpg
Another farmhouse

SanTim 093.jpg
Another farmhouse 2

SanTim 096.jpg
Hotel from the 1950's ??

SanTim 095.jpg
Hotel # 2

SanTim 106.jpg
And yet another farmhouse....

S

stefen

I have a home in Idyllwild and wonder where these are in relationship...I assume to the backside of Beumont & Banning...at the base of the mountain...

Submitted a design proposal for the historic San Timoteo school site a while back...

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I wish I lived a little closer to Cal. LOL
looks like a great site

S

stefen

Sniffer said:
I wish I lived a little closer to Cal. LOL
looks like a great site

Couple more tornado's and you might get your wish :laughing7:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Stefen- San Tim parallels the I-10 frwy ( running S of the frwy ), in between Beaumont to the east and Colton to the west.

santimmap3.jpg

There is a TON of history here as well. There were actually 3 schools, a saloon, 2 army " forts " ( one at each end ), the Earps as well as the Clantons also lived here ( before the Tombstone shuffle ). There were 3 Indian villages, a Indian graveyard and a box canyon were the Indians massacred some vigilantes from SF. There were 2 train stations and a stage stop ( which was robbed in the canyon ). There is a place that you're not supposed to go, but if you do the creek looks GREAT!!!! There is some danger involved as well though, there are feral pigs in the area. As I was leaving the farmhouse the last time I " may " have nearly encountered one. There is a small " bridge " that crosses the creek on the way in or out, and as I was approaching I hear a noise. Big noise !!!! Like branches breaking under the weight of something big, the noise cam from both sides of the creek. I said to myself, they are probably just as afraid of me as I am of them, and simply crossed the bridge. That was before I knew they may have been feral pigs !!!!! I just thought it was a coyote or stray dog... There is some heavy overgrowth in the smaller canyons and it was not possible to see the Indian ruins that were supposed to be there. But I did find another farmhouse so it wasn't a big loss. The heat was UNREAL !!!! I really shouldn't have been out there, on the way back to the truck I got a little dizzy so I headed to the " fisherman's retreat " ( a cool place with cabins and fishing ponds and a store ) got some water and some shade and just relaxed awhile. Here is a pix of the Clanton spread ( this house is gone ) and a pix of the Earp house....

PLL

clanton1.jpg
The Clanton land

SanTim 014.jpg
The Earp house

S

stefen

Thought the Earps ended up in LA...not Riverside County

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Stefen,
This is a quote from a book written in the 1970's about San Tim and the Earps: " On Christmas Day in 1864 Nicholas Porter Earp moved to a farm at the corner of ...... and San Timoteo Canyon Rd. Earp wrote the following letter to hof friend, James in Pella, Iowa:

I succeeded in renting a fine farm the 3rd day after I got to San Bernardino and on the 25th moved out to it, about 10 miles from San Bernardino. It has 10 acres in peach and apple orchard, and35 acres in grapes

Nicholas Earp was Wyatt's father, he had moved his entire family here from Iowa. According to Wikipedia " On May 12, 1864, the Earp family joined a wagon train heading to California. According to the diaries of Utah immigrants in the wagon train, Nicholas was one of the wagon-masters on their overland trek. " He didn't stay long though:
" In spring 1868 the Earps moved again, this time coming back to the mid-west and settling in Lamar, Missouri where Nicholas became the local constable. By November 17, 1869, Nicholas resigned to become Justice of the Peace. Son Wyatt, who had been studying the law with his grandfather, Walter, was immediately appointed constable in place of his father.

Some time prior to 1880, Nicholas and Virginia Earp moved back to California, settling in San Bernardino County while son James and his wife Nellie moved to Tombstone, Arizona. Enumerated one year prior to the famous shootout at the O.K. Corral, the 1880 United States Census shows the Nicholas Earp household to include son Morgan and his wife Louisa ("Lou"). The record also listed Nicholas' occupation as a farmer and youngest son Warren residing with his parents at that time. Along with being a farmer, Nicholas also had several civic involvements, to include becoming one of the founders of the San Bernardino Society of California Pioneers (which in later years would merge with the San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society).

And on the other end of the canyon..... The Clanton's...... " Meanwhile, Newman "Old Man" Clanton and his crew moved around Southern California. According to the memoirs of San Bernardino Valley pioneer William Frink, the Clantons settled in for a spell as tenant farmers in nearby San Timoteo Canyon sometime between 1865 and 1867. "

There is no way to tell ( or prove ) that the 2 families met or had problems while at San Tim. But it was a small community of farmers and ranchers with only one church in the canyon. I'm sure they knew each other from attending services, and maybe it was " typical " community talk amongst the farmers and ranchers that amy have started a uneasiness between them...

PLL

S

stefen

Is this area the same as the San Timoteo Badlands which is a part of Riverside County or was this a spinoff from San Bernardino?

Lot of history in them thar hill.

Still think I'll wait until the rattlers are hibernating...maybe some white powder on the ground...

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the east ( just W of Beaumont ) and south end ( just E of Moreno Valley ) there are badlands. But this area would not ( IMO ) would not be called badlands. The rattlers don't like the heat either.... they would be hiding to escape it. So as long as you are not flipping things over you should be ok.... maybe..... LOL!!!

PLL

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PLL:
If you go there again, let me know and I'll come up.
Meanwhile, have you read:
San Timoteo Canyon
Author(s): Kenneth M. Holtzclaw, Peggy Christian
ISBN: 9780738547442
# of Pages: 128
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing

What is the name shown on that hotel sign? Could you make it out?
Don.......

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mac,
Yes I do have one of Peggy's book's but this is not the one with Kenneth. The one I have is " Historic San Timoteo Canyon " ISBN 0-930704-33-9. The hotel looks like Duarte's with a kinda prancing poodle to the left. It's actually not in the canyon but on the backside of where the farmhouses are. Another note, most of the east end of the canyon is now a Wildlife Preserve and of course no motorized vehicles. However the signs say no hunting, no shooting etc.... But it does not say no digging or Mding.... < hint hint >

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the golf course is there ( on the N side ), and most likely was put on top of where the saloon used to be. But across the street where the RR tracks are, that would be where the fort was.

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Gps.... Not really needed though. Most of the old locations won't show because they are over 100 yrs old. The farmhouses should show fairly easy, however I think there is " possibly " a lot more locations that are out there. Some may be hidden to do dense foliage...

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Mac that was GREAT!!!!! I live in Reche Canyon and really like all the history in this area. I have found some things out here as well, there are old adobe remains between here and Moreno Valley that are " suppose " to be a stage station. But the remains are just too small. My landlord's son owns the old stage station at the bottom of the hill, and has promised to let me hunt the grounds. I also found a old small building on Reche Vista rd and was told it was house for a child with "special needs ". He was too violent to live with the family so built him a home... Sounds a bit crazy...

PLL

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PLL:
During the Nam years, I spent '63 to '69 stationed at MAFB hospital (secondary and tertiary triage). In those days the base phone number was simply "Moreno LD 20". Time off would find me exploring the area, and I'd normally end up (for a cold one) at the 'March Inn', near where 10 and 215 are now located. A few years earlier, I/S 10 was established to go through Redlands versus 'San Tim'.

I thought the Earp house was long gone--and was located on the SWC of Beaumont Ave. and STCRd. Glad to see it's still there--and seems so 'open'.

When the temps get below 100, I'll chat about joning you for some exploring.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread