Newb from the Mother Lode

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
<Posted already in the general introductions section... I'm cross posting here in the California section to see who lives nearby me in El Dorado County>

Howdy,

Went panning for the first time in about 30 years this weekend at Mineral Bar on the North Fork American. Really brought back great memories as a kid learning to pan from my grandfather and about the history of the gold rush. Found a dozen teeny specks and a couple flakes in about 10 pans of material. So yeah... I got the fever for yet another hobby and found this forum...

A few years ago the sandwich maker and I bought property and moved to Lotus... I'm a registered California Professional Geologist (PG) with a B.S. in Geological Engineering (1996 Brunton Award distinguished graduate in Geology, Colorado School of Mines) followed by graduate school at Penn State University, geochemistry emphasis (gas transport dynamics in volcanic and geothermal systems). What that means to you old codger legitimate prospectors (and I say that with MUCH respect!) is that I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...

Other hobbies include bow hunting, competitive pistol shooting (IDPA), and whitewater kayaking.

I own my own a small in-situ geophysics company based in the SF Bay Area (my clients are in the geotechnical engineering field so most of my work relates to earthquake hazards and foundation design) and because I work for myself I am blessed by more free time than the average 40-something guy... Would love to hook up with some locals for any tips, etc... Don't need any honey holes... More like "watch out for meth heads at such-and-such place".

I am very interested in learning about detectors... For both Au as wells as other stuff that I might find on my property, considering I live at ground zero of the 1849 gold rush. I would be very appreciative if any locals would care to enlighten me over beers on my dime!

Hoping to get out next week and exploit the exceptionally low water and nice weather for this time of year. Also intend to start to prospect my own 5 acres in Lotus... The sales disclosures indicated mining activity on adjacent parcels and there are some quartz veins running across the east side of the property through granite, and serpentine outcrops on the west side of the property, plus a couple steeps draws (which is where I will start digging).

Anyway, looks like a great forum and I look forward to learning a lot!

Lotus Geologist (John)

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been sleuthing online, researching detectors and stuff, and stumbled across the ICMJ and notice about the Gold Prospecting & Mining Summit in Placerville, April 4-7... so I signed up for a subscription and also signed up for the 1-day field trip to the private claim at Iowa Hill on April 4th. I'm sure I will learn a lot there, and I also intend to attend the mining summit one or both days.

As far as detectors go, I'm leaning towards the Fisher Gold Bug Pro... sp I can search for gold as well as general gold country releics that are likely to be on my property.

Any comments on my choice of detector? Other options? I want to stay in that price range, give or take, with the primary goal of a gold detector and if possible a secondary goal of a general relic detector.

Cheers, Lotus Geologist (John)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions