L.A. Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It depends. What type hunting do you want to do? Ie.: turf, beach, demolition, etc....

OP
OP
BigRon

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
IT looks like beach is all I'll have time for.

S

stefen

Try Santa Monica by the pier, Long Beach east of the Convention Center all the way to Seal Beach.

Will most likely find many of these...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Attachments

• full-set-shop-lrg.jpg
    full-set-shop-lrg.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,769

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Being born and raised in LA I have to ask why the heck you'd waste a pefectly good vacation in LA.My guess is Disneyland, but thats not LA, thats The OC (Anaheim), altogether different place and pace.Go visit Balboa Penninsula/Newport Beach lots of people with lots of money in jewelry to wear to the beach.If gold is your thing the East Fork of San Gabriel Canyon is promising and often productive for small nuggets.Stop at the Ranger station and get a 5$ permit to park on the side of the road and acces is free. (?)
People are some what reluctant to grant permission to private property as bogus lawsuits are an ocupation here to some but there is a lot of history here and a lot of constrution opening new ground all the time.There is a City wide ban on metel detectors in Whittier so stay clear.If ya want more ideas say so "I got a million of um"

S

Sphinx

May I recommend Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbra, Ventura, San Luis Opisbo, Santa Maria. I have found hundreds of gold/platinum/silver real diamond rings, gold and silver chains, watches, money at those beaches. Just take the 1 north along the coastline from LA and you will hit all of them. All the rich prissy people of California go to those beaches, and are to good to take off their jewelry, its like a damn fashion show there. ALOT of people lose extremely valuable jewelry there. Just recently I found a diamond engagement ring 1.4 ct in size set in 18k gold ring, valued at $5500 at Morro Bay. I found enough stuff over a 2 year period to buy my wifes car outright brand new, But I went to the beach 5 days a week for 2 years to get that much. From sun up, to sun down. Also, found 9 gold nuggets in Mohave right off of 58, there are A LOT of dried up river and stream beds that come down from the mountains in Mojave with black sand(sign that there may be gold), placers, alot of places for gold to accumulate. The nuggets are not big enough to brag about, maybe 1/4 oz total between all 9 but its still a good find.

Ever in the Bakersfield area hit me up, Ill take you to some dried up lake, river, stream beds to look for some gold. I have 2 Suzuki kingquad 700 4wheelers, so getting up the streams and river beds is not an issue.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Urban Prospector said:
There is a City wide ban on metel detectors in Whittier so stay clear.If ya want more ideas say so "I got a million of um"

Not to threadjack, but, a friend of mine just moved to whittier into a 100 year old house, that ban can't include private property can it?

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Hi Ski couldn't say for sure thou if he owns the property I think he'll be cool.I'd play it safe and ask city hall.Course I'd also give em a ration of **** about not being able to hunt public areas.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
no, no, no, a "supposed" city ban like that never includes a person's OWN property. If it was true, it's for city property. You can hunt your own property till you're blue in the face. I sometimes hear about supposed city wide "bans", but my guess is, they start like this. True story:

When I first got into this hobby, the guy who got me hooked made a comment one day, that "all the parks and schools at such & such city (30 minutes from us) were off-limits, and you can get busted." Who was I to doubt him, since I was the newbie? So naturally, I passed this info on, as if it was fact. Afterall, who was I to question this? Years later, we started deteting a certain park in that town, because a 3rd party was getting some nice silver out of it. We were never bothered, but it was always in my mind that I had to look over my shoulder and be careful or something. Eventually, I ran back into that old friend, and asked him where he got his information. He said that one day he was out in a school yard there years earlier, and got booted by a janitor. When he asked "why?" the janitor said "it's not allowed here". When my friend asked "well what about the other schools?", the janitor said "ALL public property". My friend just tucked his tail and left. Now OBVIOUSLY, this was just a janitor having a bad day, or just an isolated incident (for all I know, my friend was leaving holes or trying to do it during school hours or whatever). He should have just treated it as an isolated incident, and just avoided just that one school or person. But instead, he takes what he is told as if it is fact. A rumor is born that "such & such city is off-limits".

Just my opinion, but nowadys, 30 yrs. later, when I hear of such & such, or such & such city being "off-limits", I wonder if .... in those locales .... if anyone really even cares? I mean, sure, if you waltz into city hall with a shovel in your hand, OF COURSE they'll say no. But if you're discreet & leave no marks, my hunch is you'll not be bothered at parks and schools.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
I got that info from a reliable source and was told they would confiscate the detector.Not wanting to chance losing a grand I just never detected there.After reading you post I went to the Whittier web site and could find nothing in the city ordinances to confirm a ban on MDing there so you could very well be on target.As a test I checked dog licencing and again no laws on the books.To many places to hunt locally to take a chance.I'll take Newport Beach as my 1st choice.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Urban prospector, what was your "reliable source"? In the case of the example I gave, I probably would have said it was a "reliable source", since he'd been detecting for years.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

You should also MD Newport Beach North of the jetty. A MDer just found a Platinum and Diamond Ring there a few days ago.

Best,

Mike

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Tom in CA you called it a Whittier resident long time member of a detector club.

Gollum that would be Balboa. Their Pier area has a higher class of clientele the Newport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread