Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
I found a very interesting story from Modoc County about a pass originally named the Lassen Pass ( up until 1856 ).

Fandango pass.jpg

But after reading the story I am amazed that it's not called Massacre Pass. It seems 2 people ( Jesse Applegate -1846- and Peter Lassen -1848- ) were diverting emigrant's from the California Trail into Oregon and Northern California. This was a EXTREMELY tough hill to climb. And I quote:
" The pull up Fandango Pass was mediocre for a couple of miles and hell for one more. Oxen were, double, triple teamed. Women chocked the wheels just before oxen slid backwards in utter fatigue. Possessions were thrown aside as children and elders pulled on the ropes which edged the wagons up the steepest quarter mile. Oxen and men died together on this grade. "
( Desert Magazine Aug-1976 )

fandangomassacre.jpg

There's talk about having constant trouble with the local tribes and sometimes finding " Bloodied muskets and knives, fouled personal belongings and, of course bodies. " This is a place I would think one would want to detect.. If it's not State land ( like always ).

fandangomap.jpg

The article goes on to say that Fort Bidwell was established in 1866 and was closed in 1893 and the RR came along in 1908. I was wondering if anyone has looked at this site or do we have any locals that may know more ?? How about you TT ?? Is this in your neck of the woods ??

PLL

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
This story was written for one of my favorite members ( Treasure Tales ) TT.... She lives in the area and I think knew a bit more.... It's sad that she 's not here anymore..... I miss her " humor " ....LOL!!!!!

PLL

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah PLL I miss her also. We had some great chats about N. Nevada and Calif. and had hoped to pop a few beers together the last time she camped in Cedarville. I still keep a lookout for her little trailer when I am up north.

I traveled through Ft. Bidwell back in 03 but didn't stop. Blew a sidewall on Barrel Springs Rd. coming from Vya, NV. and didn't trust my spare so a trip to the tire shop in Alturas was a priority.

There is a mountain full of Obsidian up Davis Creek Rd. off 395. We picked up a couple of 5 Gal. buckets of rainbow in that area. Turn left on Lassen Creek Rd. and take a nice drive through the Warner Mtns. Lots of good camping spots along Lassen creek. Eventually it will intersect Fandango Pass Rd. on the west end of the pass.

On the topic of Lassen, do a search for the "Applegate Trail" that Lassen and Applegate created for the westward travelers on their way to the gold fields of Calif. I have traveled about 50% of it and have Fandango Pass on my list of spots to get to. Lassen's grave is located along the Applegate trail in the north end of the Black Rock Desert. DO NOT TRAVEL THERE UN-PREPARED! Extremely hostile country and help could be days away.

Thanks for the post PLL
I am overdue for a road trip up north.
Steve

NorCalJoe

Greenie
Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
I found a very interesting story from Modoc County about a pass originally named the Lassen Pass ( up until 1856 ).

But after reading the story I am amazed that it's not called Massacre Pass. It seems 2 people ( Jesse Applegate -1846- and Peter Lassen -1848- ) were diverting emigrant's from the California Trail into Oregon and Northern California. This was a EXTREMELY tough hill to climb. And I quote:
" The pull up Fandango Pass was mediocre for a couple of miles and hell for one more. Oxen were, double, triple teamed. Women chocked the wheels just before oxen slid backwards in utter fatigue. Possessions were thrown aside as children and elders pulled on the ropes which edged the wagons up the steepest quarter mile. Oxen and men died together on this grade. "
( Desert Magazine Aug-1976 )

There's talk about having constant trouble with the local tribes and sometimes finding " Bloodied muskets and knives, fouled personal belongings and, of course bodies. " This is a place I would think one would want to detect.. If it's not State land ( like always ).

The article goes on to say that Fort Bidwell was established in 1866 and was closed in 1893 and the RR came along in 1908. I was wondering if anyone has looked at this site or do we have any locals that may know more ?? How about you TT ?? Is this in your neck of the woods ??

PLL

12 years later.....reminds me of that joke.....a snail goes into a bar, he didn't see the "no snails allowed ever" sign behind the bar. The bar tender without hesitation goes around the bar, picks the snail up and throws him out the back door into the alley. The snail didn't even get a word in. 2 1/2 years later, the snail comes back in the front door and says..."heyyyyyy, what the hell was that for?"

i live near,
the locals up there have issues with outsiders,much of the old fort bidwell property is now native land. They get pissy. But up on fandango its a needle in a haystack. Buzzworms and wasps will drive you totally insane. but if you bring a 4k bug zapper to swing at the stingers, it makes up for the annoyance. It's probably not worth the drive for anything. Ive been up there hiking around detecting with gpx 5000 ...i find an occasional fragment of metal. Not saying you wouldn't find anything it's just very random and ugly terrain.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Yeah PLL I miss her also. We had some great chats about N. Nevada and Calif. and had hoped to pop a few beers together the last time she camped in Cedarville. I still keep a lookout for her little trailer when I am up north.

I traveled through Ft. Bidwell back in 03 but didn't stop. Blew a sidewall on Barrel Springs Rd. coming from Vya, NV. and didn't trust my spare so a trip to the tire shop in Alturas was a priority.

There is a mountain full of Obsidian up Davis Creek Rd. off 395. We picked up a couple of 5 Gal. buckets of rainbow in that area. Turn left on Lassen Creek Rd. and take a nice drive through the Warner Mtns. Lots of good camping spots along Lassen creek. Eventually it will intersect Fandango Pass Rd. on the west end of the pass.

On the topic of Lassen, do a search for the "Applegate Trail" that Lassen and Applegate created for the westward travelers on their way to the gold fields of Calif. I have traveled about 50% of it and have Fandango Pass on my list of spots to get to. Lassen's grave is located along the Applegate trail in the north end of the Black Rock Desert. DO NOT TRAVEL THERE UN-PREPARED! Extremely hostile country and help could be days away.

Thanks for the post PLL
I am overdue for a road trip up north.
Steve
Old thread but I've been researching the Lassen area and am curious, hostile in what way and why is it hostile?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread