Metal Detecting Law?

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bylaw is no digging in parks. Where were you trying to detect that was deemed "historical"?

OP
OP
R

RecycleRay2

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere within there 30 mile radius of Kingston. I was told it was deemed histirical as of 2007 survey.

OP
OP
R

RecycleRay2

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to search for the Laws in this area becuase I was told I could be charged under the heritage act bye the police I am a good neat and friendly M.D.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone in Ontario can be charged under the OHA. They pretty much left the laws regarding that open to their own translation...that is to say they wrote it up so they could pretty much twist things as yet see fit to charge just about anyone. If you read the OHA you can be charged for picking up a 100 year old coin in your garden. It's ridiculous and something the general public is completely unaware of.

That being said, metal detecting is not illegal and good luck with the police charging you for metal detecting. How do you know if a coin is 1960 or 1900 prior to digging it? They would have to prove you were intentionally targeting said items on a known archaeological or historic site.

Oddly archaeologist will not publish exact locations of these sites or post them (even though their main purpose is to actually educate and inform the public) but would be quick to try to act as the law if they become aware of you being on one of these sites even if by accident.

Conveniently when the OHA was written and it was implemented...the public was not informed and did not have a voice. The only representation was that of archaeologists.

Good luck

OP
OP
R

RecycleRay2

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I was born in ontario Canada the land of the free well almost. I am going to hunt I will hunt good luck too you. Thanks Ray!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ray2, the answer you got, where a desk-bound bureaucrat twists some related verbage, to apply to your "pressing question", is not uncommon. It happens all the time in places where detecting is not a problem, and no one ever cared before. For example: In my own city, the town's main park was simply routinely detected, and no one ever had a problem before. Yup, in broad-daylight, in front of passing traffic, landscapers, etc.... No one cared. And those of us who hunted it, never had any reason to suspect otherwise, to begin with. Then one day a newbie "takes it upon himself" to waltz in to city hall, and ask "can I metal detect?". I guess the desk-clerk there took his question to various other city employees, and they figured his request would run afoul of "collecting" verbage or "defacement" verbage, or harming earthworms .... or who knows what? So they told him "no".

Because think of it Ray: The mere fact that you, or someone, is standing there asking "can I?" simply implies that something is inherently wrong (damaging, or evil, or whatever) with you or your hobby, that you to ASK, to begin with! (Lest why would you be asking, if it were innocuous?). For example: would you have asked to fly a frisbee? So with this implication in mind, it practically dictates your own answer. And the sad part is, perhaps no one would ever have cared, or even paid attention to you, unless you were being a nuisance in some other way.

Heck, it's as colonial dude says: Is anyone really looking over your shoulder doing the math on the age of coins you find, to begin with?

Matvey

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about beach hunting? is it forbidden too? thanks for answer

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what about beach hunting? is it forbidden too? thanks for answer

Only if you keep asking far enough up the chain of desk-bound bureaucrats. Be sure to use buzzwords and phrases like "treasure" and "dig" and "archaeological resource" and "liability", and yes, you can ultimately find yourself a "no", at ANY public land, ANYWHERE (yup, even where no one's ever cared, and detecting is common-place).

Here's an example of how the psychology works, for the beaches near me (but I bet it can apply in your area, or anywhere too):

An example of why NOT to ask at innocuous public places (Long)

Matvey

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still not clear. Detecting on Ontario's beaches forbidden or not. If there is no sign that forbid it, can I?

THRICK

Aug 21, 2013
eastern ON
Detector(s) used
minelab excallibur, minelab x-terra, whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water hunting is allowed everywhere. On sand I've never had a problem either.

HastingsHunters

Aug 23, 2013
Hastings County
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Whites XLT 1.1
Tesoro Deleon
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Ray looking for legal detecting grounds near Kingston Ontario. Was told bye police then the city bylaw that could not dig or get items from ground due to historical area.

Hi Ray. I Live in Belleville. For beaches/ Provincial parks you need a letter from the supervisor @ Sandbanks. I have Contact information for her. Drop me an E-mail. Also know some places for you around K-Town.
Regards

Allan

davew

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ask up in my town and was told yes but any items from 1900 and lower must be handed
in to the city museum. Anything after 1900 you can keep unless it is native.

cesi

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2015
Thousand Islands Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi..want to form group to metal detect in the thousand islands area?

I am located in the thousand islands area and looking for others to get together and go out searching. Anyone interested? In P.E.I. right now but hope to be home by Oct 3 and would like to have friends with like interests to go out and seek history together. Regards....Cesi

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help for your question but I did go into City Hall in Victoria, BC and after a few perplexed looks and one lady who wasn't really sure what metal detecting was they talked to a by-law officer who told me that as long I kept off of private property, replaced my plugs, carted away the trash I found AND (a big and) was nice to those who invariably will stop and ask you what you're doing... she had no probs with it. She also noted that she detected and saw no reason to spoil her entertainment by slapping a by-law down on it. It's weird but for all the places I've detected thus far it's amazing how many have a grounds keeper who gives you the nod and tells you about what they've found on their off time when detecting.

KMASG

Jan 1, 2019
Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am located in the thousand islands area and looking for others to get together and go out searching. Anyone interested? In P.E.I. right now but hope to be home by Oct 3 and would like to have friends with like interests to go out and seek history together. Regards....Cesi

Hello, I am in the Rideau area. Did a group ever get together in your area? I am brand new to detecting in Canada, although I have had several days out in the UK, with success.

Having a somewhat bewildered understanding of local bylaws, the Heritage Act and Parks Canada rules etc, I would like to find a group that has detecting permission on private properties and a club to participate in rallies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread