My new project pony

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch Craigs List everyday looking for that great buy for my next project. In these bad economical times I've seen some pretty good deals but I prefer the older mustangs and these still seem to bring a high price. Or at least the owners think they should still bring a high price. I had set my budget at $2,000. Last Thursday I saw a 1964 1/2 mustang that had just been listed with no pictures and the guy wanted $2,500. I called and asked for some pictures and what I got was extremely good. So good I felt it could be either a scam, or someone suffering from desperate times.

I called him up and offered him $2,000 and he said he would take it. I sent my nephew to pick it up and told him if it didn't meet my expectations to just walk away. He bought the car and brought it home Friday. WOW was I surprised as I started looking it over and getting more detailed info from the VIN. The inside looked almost brand new and the outside had a few bubbles in the paint and some hail damage, but straight as an arrow. I'm sure it had to be either a past restore and a low mileage that had been very well cared for. The title, last registered in 2003 had mileage of 86,740 and now showed 90,157. The original 260 V8 was replaced with a 302. Not sure the story behind why, but the 302 seems to have been built up a bit. It has a Edelbrock Performer carb and aluminum manifold, and possible a mild cam from the lobing it does when idling.

During my research to verify it as a true 1964 1/2, which it is, I found that the factory code(second digit in VIN) if an F meant it was born in Dearborn where almost 200,000 of the 1964 1/2's were built, and the R code was San Jose where less than 5000 of the 1964 1'2's were born and this one is the R code. Nada has the low retail at $8,500 average retail at $16,500 and high retail at $22,000. Having set for close to 7 years I has to straight it and let it warm up then shut it off several times to get the old dry seals wet again. It leaked like a sieve the first few times but now everything has tightened up.

Anyway here is some pictures.

passside2.jpg

drvrear.jpg

int5.jpg

eng1.jpg

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most states, including Kansas, have laws against theft. That is now what you are guilty of of. You should go to your garage and do some more polishing in that poor neglected, decrepit piece of Ford history as punishment.

Really too bad that some one had to let it go. But even better is that it has now found a loving home. The little pony has a new home!

Great find! Yeah, I am just jealous. But you were not able to tell, were you?

Those tires should be old enough to vote, and since you will need to buy new ones anyway, you might as well roast the old one first!

Bob

Just another gear head.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oop's my mistype. There were nearly 200,000 1964 1/2's built in Dearborn(F code) and less than 5000 1964 1/2's built in San Jose(R code). Makes this one fairly rare just in less than 5000 built to begin with. Making it even rarer is that the 1964 1/2's, built from March 9 1964 to July 31 1964, were the first run of mustangs, and during that time modifications were made until August when the official 1965 mustang was mass produced with all the final modification. Mine has some of the original 1964 1/2 features like brake switch on the master cylinder and Eaton power steering pump, but some final modifications such as passenger seat tracks(adjustable) and rolled hood edge. Unfortunately, we'll never know just how rare as all ford records from 1967 on back were destroyed.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'm a Mopar guy but I have a soft spot for Mustangs as my brother, uncle and cousin all had them.
There's one near me I'd like to grab. A '67 convertible, 289/c4, disc brakes, deluxe interior. Needs a full restoration but mostly solid for $2500.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Wow nice car, are you planning on keeping it stock? If not I would throw a 9in rear with 3:73, a built c4 tranny because stock the c4 and 8in rears will not handle any kind of real power (the FMX and C6 can but weigh too much IMO) and a front disc brake kit. You could prob. do all that and still have less than 5k tied up in a car worth a lot more. I would do some headers too and 2.5 duals all the way back if it does not have them already. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread